{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2002

28th September 2002 21:17

Northampton Town 2 Mansfield Town 0
Gabbiadini 2 (pen), Trollope 80
Attendance: 5594
Report from BBC.co.uk:
Goals from Marco Gabbiadini and skipper Paul Trollope guided Northampton to their fourth success of the season against injury-hit Mansfield.
Gabbiadini got the Cobblers off to the perfect start with his seventh goal of the season, converting a third-minute penalty after Trollope was upended by goalkeeper Arjan Van Heusden.
Northampton went close to doubling their lead with Chris Hargreaves heading against the upright, Trollope shooting wide and Ian Sampson heading over.
But Mansfield belied their basement position to control the second half.
However, they missed several chances, with Iyseden Christie the chief culprit while Mark Lever headed just wide.
Trollope finally made the game safe with 10 minutes remaining when he volleyed home to open his account for the season after Gabbiadini helped on a cross from substitute Derek Asamoah.
Report from footymad.net:
Mansfield have only scored once in their last six games against Northampton and the Nationwide Division Two strugglers were out of luck at the Sixfields stadium.
The Cobblers had a dream start when Paul Trollope was pulled down in the penalty area by debut goalkeeper Arjan Van Heusden in the third minute, and Marco Gabbiadini converted his seventh goal of the season from the spot-kick.
It took the home side until ten minutes before full-time to seal the points when Trollope volleyed home after Gabbiadini had headed a cross by substitute Derek Asamoah into his path.
In the meantime, the Stags bossed much of the game but were unable to turn their dominance into goals with striker Iyseden Christie showing a profligate streak in front of goal.
Christie had Mansfield's best chance four minutes after the re-start when he dashed onto a throughball from the influential Scott Sellars but he hurried his shot, firing wide of the far post.
Colin Larkin had earlier seen his glancing header drift just wide and the striker then shot tamely when given a clear sight of Lee Harper's goal.
Northampton had other chances themselves, with Chris Hargreaves directing a header against the inside of a post - the ball bouncing up into the grateful Van Heusden's hands.
Northampton boss Kevan Broadhurst, celebrating his first year in charge, was pleased with the result.
"It's all about getting the result and in four or five weeks' time, no-one will be interested how we did it," he said.
"We didn't get anything at Swindon last week when they didn't create a great deal but nobody bothered about us then."
Stags boss Stuart Watkiss tried to remain upbeat after this latest setback.
"We've probably turned in two bad performances this season and for the rest, we've been in the ascendancy," he said.
"I keep saying that things will get easier for us when the injuries start to clear up."
CHAD report:
Stags beaten again despite second half rally
Despite a brave second half fightback, Mansfield Town lost 2-0 at Northampton Town this afternoon and remain rooted to the bottom of Division Two.
Despite a brave second half fightback, Mansfield Town lost 2-0 at Northampton Town this afternoon and remain rooted to the bottom of Division Two.
Dutch keeper Arjan van Heusden could not have had a worse start to his Stags debut when he brought down Paul Trollope in only the second minute.
At least referee Mick Fletcher only showed him a yellow card.
But Marco Gabbiadini put away the penalty off the inside of the post and Mansfield were left chasing the game yet again.
With Gabbiadini in irresistable form and the powerful runs of Frenchman Armand One, Mansfield were pulled all over the park but somehow hung on until half-time without conceding further goals.
The second half was a very different story with Mansfield completely taking over the show.
Northampton found themselves pinned in their own half and were relieved to see Stags waste a succession of chances.
Iyseden Christie blasted across the face of goal and headed just over while Colin Larkin sent a glancing header inches wide and fired tamely at the keeper at the near post.
The Cobblers, who had only had one real chance all half, then made Stags pay 10 minutes from time with a killer second.
Derek Asamoah got in a cross from the right which Gabbiadini headed back across goal and Trollope swung a leg to find the top corner.
Stags had five players booked and Northampton four in a fast, physical game.
"People say you earn your own luck but we worked our socks off all afternoon, particularly second half, and we got nothing for it," said Stags assistant manager Neil Richardson.
"We just can't score right now. We had some good chances but it won't go in. You can't fault the lads' effort and commitment and if they keep that up things could turn for us."
Posted by Martin Shaw


Latest | September 2002