NO CASE TO ANSWER IN O`CONNOR/FA/GRAYS CASE
16 Feb 2009
Great news for Mansfield Town on Monday afternoon as the long awaited FA hearing on the O'Connor/Grays case found that the Stags had "no case to answer".
Note that this case is completely unrelated to the case with the Conference where the Stags have been docked four points for fielding unregistered players.
Read full story with a picture of Andy Perry and O'Connor at the FA on Monday
at mansfieldtown.net here
Stags 'no case to answer' in FA case
Evening Post, 16 Feb 2009
Mansfield have been told by the FA they have no case to answer over the legitimacy of Aaron O'Connor's transfer from Grays Athletic.
Full story at Evening Post website here
The Essex club wrote to football's governing body, saying the striker had signed for the Stags while still registered with the Essex side.
But Mansfield have always insisted they followed the correct procedures and completed all the necessary paperwork.
And at a hearing held at the FA's Soho Square headquarters this afternoon, the Stags were cleared of any wrongdoing.
“We always felt that there was no case to answer and were confident we had done things right,” said Mansfield chairman Andy Perry.
“This has vindicated that and shows that maybe we shouldn't have had to defend our position in the first place.
“But thankfully it is done now and it is a weight off our shoulders. We can look forward now.”
Perry and O'Connor travelled down in person to attend the hearing, along with the Stags' legal representation.
Written submissions were put forward by both men, as well as by former manager Billy McEwan, who was in charge of first team affairs at the time.
Perry added: “This has been rumbling on now since three days before we played Grays at Field Mill (in August).
“But as far as we were concerned it was never going to be an issue of us losing points.
“Hopefully we can now get three points against Kettering tomorrow night.”
Mansfield were docked four points by the Football Conference for a separate matter earlier in the season after fielding ineligible players.
Stags exonerated over O'Connor case
CHAD.co.uk, 16 February 2009
AFTER months of worry, Mansfield Town were finally exonerated over any wrong-doing over the signing of Aaron O'Connor at an FA hearing in London today.
Full story at CHAD.co.uk here
A three man committee decided Mansfield Town had 'no case to answer' after Grays had claimed they had taken up an option on the striker, who was still registered to Grays with the FA but had subsequently left the club as a free agent.
Chairman Andy Perry, who attended the hearing with the player, said: "We are disappointed this debacle of a scenario went as far as it did.
"We are glad the FA agreed Aaron was signed in the correct manner."
Latest | February 2009