{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2008

21st December 2008 23:29

Mansfield Town 2 - 1 Weymouth
Ahmed 58, D'Laryea 90+0. Beavon 19.
Att 1841 (58 from Weymouth)

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at Field Mill

Mansfield Town won a hard-earned three points with a spirited second half display leading to a last minute winner by unlikely hero Jon D'Laryea. The Stags had gifted Weymouth a first half lead with yet another shocking defensive mix-up, involving Alan O'Hare and Paddy Gamble resulting in a penalty, although on close scrutiny of the match DVD it revealed Gamble not be at fault. But a flying header by Adnan Ahmed from a Nathan Arnold cross got the Stags back on level terms on 58 minutes, and then Gavin Hurren's long throw was flicked on by substitute Jason Lee into the path of D'Laryea who side-footed home from 13 yards to send Field Mill into a frenzy of delight and relief.

Stagsnet report now in the Match Centre


Stags stun Terras
By Nigel Biddlecombe ยป


WEYMOUTH suffered last-minute heartache at Field Mill when Jonathan D'Laryea's goal was enough to condemn the Terras to defeat.

The visitors had taken the lead when Stuart Beavon fired home a penalty but the Stags equalised through Adnan Ahmed in the 58th minute.

Caretaker-manager Alan Lewer was forced to make three changes to his side as injuries picked up at Welling in the FA Trophy last Tuesday meant that Jordan Collins and Stephen Reed were unavailable and Cameron Mawer sat on the bench, but only as emergency cover.

Into the side came Santos Gaia, Kevin Sandwith and Pierre Joseph-Dubois.

Mansfield were playing their first Blue Square Premier match under joint caretaker-managers Adie Moses and Mark Stallard and it was the Stags that were rewarded with three points after the visitors had given a true Jeckyll and Hyde performance.

Although, on the face of it, the statistics might show that the Stags were on top throughout the match, the home side's performance in the first half failed to trouble the Terras, with the hosts seemingly content to shoot from distance and failing to trouble Terras' keeper Danny Knowles.

Pakistani international Ahmed saw two efforts fly wide of the target and Nathan Arnold's strike flew high over the crossbar.

Weymouth's first real attempt to encroach on the home goal came in the 10th minute as Stuart Beavon laid a ball into the path of Joseph-Dubois, but Paddy Gamble was able to hold on to the shot.

It was due to Joseph-Dubois' persistence that Weymouth took a 20th minute lead as the Terras' man fought his way past Alan O'Hare before being brought down by the same man.

Although referee Tony Harrington awarded a penalty he only cautioned the Stags' defender when most officials would surely have produced a red card.

Beavon stepped up to take the spot-kick and calmly placed the ball in the bottom left hand corner of the goal as Gamble threw himself in the opposite direction.

Three minutes later Joseph-Dubois went close to increasing Weymouth's lead when he cut between James Kay and Gavin Hurren before firing his shot narrowly past an upright. Mansfield tried to respond, but we unable to create any clear openings. D'Laryea, Aaron O'Connor and Arnold all missed the target with efforts from outside of the penalty area.

However, it was Weymouth who went closest to scoring when Gamble's poor clearance was intercepted by Beavon some 45 yards out, but the Terras' striker's chip drifted just wide.

Sam Cutler was also close with his shot from the edge of the box after good work by Ryan Williams had created an opening for the youngster.

Having worked so hard to restrict the home side to half chances, and to push them back with counter- attacks, Weymouth seemed to fall apart after the break.

Almost from the restart O'Connor forced a corner as his shot โ€“ following a clever run through the visiting defence โ€“ was deflected wide by Gaia.

Alex Jeannin's corner deceived everybody before curling narrowly past a post without gathering a touch.

The increased tempo of the home side's efforts had brought the previously quiet home supporters to life and this seemed to further encourage the Stags.

O'Connor's cross into the area on 51 minutes seemed to hit Sandwith's arm and 1,800 voices raised as one to claim a penalty. However the officials waved the appeals away.

Weymouth's responded in the 56th minute as Ryan Williams and Dubois combined, but Williams' cross flew across the penalty area unscathed.

Mansfield pulled level two minutes later when O'Connor's ball out to the right flank found Arnold with space to cross. Ahmed got free on the edge of the six-yard area and scored with a diving glancing header at the near post.

Scott Doe did well to rob Ahmed and put Williams away, but Gamble was able to save the ex-Stags man's shot.

O'Connor shot wide for Mansfield and injured himself in the process, allowing the introduction of much travelled Jason Lee.

Two incidents within 60 seconds helped determine the fate of the game.

On 82 minutes Beavon was floored three yards inside the Stags' penalty area by O'Hare.

However, the referee surprised everyone by awarding a free-kick outside the penalty area. Sandwith then saw his curling effort saved.

At the other end Lee and Gaia challenged for a cross, with Lee getting the touch, however the ex-Nottingham Forest man then seemed to stamp on Gaia's head as the Brazilian lay prone on the floor.

Mansfield completed their comeback with a goal just into stoppage time. Hurren's throw-in was flicked on by Lee and D'Laryea was on hand to drive home from six yards โ€“ thus providing the Field Mill caretakers with an early Christmas present and sending the Terras home empty-handed


report from

Mansfield 2 - 1 Weymouth

The Terras travelled up north to face Mansfield Town today, and had it not been for a last minute winner for the Stags, Weymouth would've gone home with a hard earned point. But unfortunatly, it was not to be. The Weymouth team saw Kevin Sandwith, Santos Gaia, and Pierre Joseph-Dubois come in for injured trio, Stephen Reed, Jordan Collins, and Cameron Mawer. The squad was down to its bare bones with two youth players on the bench (one whose first name I don't know yet) and Mawer who had a knock.

The game started with the Terras kicking it straight into touch, classic. It took a couple of minutes for both teams to get into any real flow, while it only took the stewards a couple of seconds to tell a Terras fan to sit down. Mansfield had the first attempts of the game with both Alex Jeannin and Nathan Arnold hitting the ball high over the Weymouth bar. Note to self, take a pen and paper to write down things next time. The first shot for the Terras should have resulted in a goal, after some great work by McPhee on the right hand side he played the ball into Beavon who turned inside the box, playing it back to Dubois in the centre of the six yard box, but he could only manage to shoot it into the goalkeepers hands, shouldve been one up. There was then a period of scrappy play which was down to the referee who gave free kicks for the smallest incidents, but at least he could see the big incidents, for now.

Weymouth score!! Stuart Beavon from the penalty spot after nineteen minutes. Pierre Joseph-Dubois was brought down by the last man in the area, although the referee only deemed it as a bookable offence. Beavon was calm and sent the goalie the wrong way. 1-0 Weymouth.
Video of the penalty at: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6yB0LUXUg-s

Aaron O'Connor had two shots within a couple of minutes of each other, the first he swang his leg at it from just inside the box and it went over, and the second he probably should have scored. After controlling the ball on his chest and turning with it, he chose to shoot and it went narrowly wide, he had plenty of space to take it down and move closer to goal if he wanted to. The Terras physio was earning his money today, Sam Cutler. Santos Gaia, and Stuart Beavon. All getting hurt in quick sucession, but all able to continue. As half time approached Mansfield were working the ball well, they got into the Weymouth penalty area, and with a Stags player seeming to have all the time in the world, he was ready to pull the trigger until Santos Gaia came in with a great last ditch tackle.

Half Time: Mansfield 0 - 1 Weymouth

The second half began with the Terras now kicking towards their own supporters. Mansfield were really up for the second half, they must have got a right telling off at half time. Seeming to raise the pace of the game and passing and moving an awful lot more, it seemed it would be a tough forty-five minutes for Weymouth. Although the Stags had started to have a lot more possession of the game, they were still unable to get a shot on target, they were having shots but they were either sent over the bar, or the Weymouth backline stood strong and blocked their efforts. Unfortunatly they finally got a shot on target.

Adnan Achmed equalises for Mansfield after fifty-eight minutes. Nathan Arnold found himself in a lot of space, and with a lot of time, enough to send it into the box where Achmed was able to stoop low and head it into the bottom left hand corner from six yards out. We knew it was coming, 1-1.

Could Weymouth do something about Mansfield's onslaught? Well it seemed as though we were playing on the counter attack now. After the goal, the Stags were still pilling on the pressure, pushing the Terras back and forcing them to do some scrappy defending. My counter attacking point was proven when a failed Mansfield attack turned into Ryan Williams running from his own half to the edge of the Stags area, where he eventually had a shot on goal which was a bit tame. The game seemed to be opening up with end to end action, and during this a Terras fan appeared to fall asleep! haha.

Aaron O'Connor had another effort go wide of the target before substitutions were made. For the Stags, Michael Blackwood came on for James Kay. And James Coutts replaced Ryan Williams for the Terras. The referee was back to his old tricks of giving free kicks for silly little incidents. Mansfield were playing a number of balls into the box but with none of them being met by their players, just Danny Knowles plucking them out of the air. Both midfields looked to be cancelling each other out. Jason "pineapple head" Lee replaced Aaron O'Connor with ten minutes left. BAD DECISION!! Stuart Beavon was fouled inside of the box, only for the referee and linesman to give a free kick, it was clearly in the box, but the officials dont have the balls to give two penalties to the same team in one game, AWFUL!! From the free kick, Sandwith drilled the ball into the box and it looked like Paddy Gamble nearly spilled it. With the game coming to an end it looked like it was going to be a draw.

Only for Mansfield to get a winner in the eighty-ninth minute through former Manchester City player, Jonathan D'Laryea. Pineapple head crossed the ball from the right side of the pitch into D'Laryea who struck it into the right hand side of Danny Knowles goal. Gutted, Mansfield 2-1.

There was no coming back for the Terras, and the game ended. I think Weymouth will be very disappointed, Mansfield only had three shots on target and were able to score two of them, thats football I suppose, you have to take your chances and once again we didnt. I'm not going to say we shouldve been leading two nil at half time, because if Mansfield hit the target with their good openings they wouldve scored. But I will say they really need to start scoring more, otherwise teams like Mansfield will be able to win even with less chances.

Full Time: Mansfield 2 - 1 Weymouth

Attendance: 1,841 (58 Away Fans)



Latest | December 2008