{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2008

5th November 2008 20:33

York 1 - 1 Mansfield
Greaves 90+3, Sinclair 46
York win 4-2 on penalties.
Att: 608 (44 from Mansfield)
Setanta Shield Round 3

Highlights from youtube here

Stagsnet text report based on radio commentary now in the match centre. Our reporter for the evening had to drop out at the last minute due to work commitments.

Stagsnet player ratings by Andy Perry now in the match centre.

It appears that video action of the game will be available on Wednesday courtesy of York City TV.

York City 1 Mansfield Town 1 (AET - York won 4-2 on pens)
By Minstermen.net - 04/11/2008
York City manager Colin Walker finally came out on top against his former mentor Billy McEwan as the hosts defeated Mansfield Town 4-2 on penalties following a dramatic 1-1 draw in the Setanta Shield Third Round at KitKat Crescent.

However, York appeared to be on their way out of the competition after the visitors' on loan striker Emile Sinclair had opened the scoring right at the start of the second-half.

But with many home supporters beginning to leave the stadium, and goalkeeper Michael Ingham thrust into the visitors' penalty area for a late corner, skipper Mark Greaves headed a dramatic equaliser in the final minute of injury-time.

Following a scoreless extra-time period, the home side finally triumphed 4-2 on penalties - and as a result claimed a welcome £3,500 prize.

The Minstermen had earlier handed debuts to former £1 million and England under-21 international striker Bruce Dyer, and ex-Manchester United junior Steven Hogg. Talented youngster Andy McWilliams was also given his first start of the campaign, while Greaves was switched into his more accustomed defensive role.

New signing Dyer was soon in the action as he shrugged off a couple of challenges and forced former York loanee keeper Paddy Gamble into an early save.

Alex Jeannin then curled a free-kick wide from the edge of the area at the opposite end, while Sinclair swept past David McGurk before being denied by Ingham.

The Stags missed a great chance midway through the half when midfielder Gavin Hurren headed over from six-yards after a cross from the left.

York replied with Simon Russell having an effort collected at the second attempt by Gamble, who also had to clutch onto Hogg's swerving left-footed 25-yard strike.

Mansfield striker Sinclair was still proving a threat with his pace as he again avoided McGurk before Danny Parslow moved across to complete a vital block.

The Minstermen went desperately close to opening their account two minutes before the break when McWilliams' volley from the edge of the area crashed against the angle of post and crossbar.

But it was the visitors that were quickest out of the blocks at the start of the second period as SINCLAIR again left McGurk trailing before finishing past Ingham.

York boss Walker immediately sent on Craig Farrell at the expense of Russell, although confusion in the home defence soon witnessed Aaron O'Connor dragging an excellent chance wide.

Mansfield keeper Gamble was called upon to save at his left-hand post when Hogg bent a free-kick around the defensive wall. The debutant midfielder then combined well with McWilliams before Dyer scuffed an effort straight at Gamble.

The Minstermen made a second change on 63 minutes as striker Adam Boyes - who had signed his first professional contract with the club earlier in the day - replaced newcomer Dyer.

But it was midfielder Rusk that soon crashed a shot wide from the edge of the area as the home side continued to search for an equaliser.

Their task could have become even more difficult though when Arnold pulled the ball back for Sinclair to be denied by a fine save from Ingham.

However, it required a couple of vital blocks on the line to keep out Onome Sodje and substitute Boyes during a desperate scramble from a 68th minute corner.

York keeper Ingham then parried Nathan Arnold's shot behind before Mark Stallard should have done better when heading over from the resultant corner.

Both Rusk and Hogg were off-target as the home side continued to press forward, while Sinclair could have sealed it for the visitors during added time when cutting inside Parslow before Ingham again saved well.

But then came the hosts' dramatic equaliser in the third and final minute of injury-time, skipper GREAVES thumping home a close-range header as keeper Ingham supplemented their attack for a late corner.

The visitors still appeared the stronger outfit during extra-time with Hurren having an effort tipped over by Ingham, who was also perhaps fortunate not to be punished when appearing to handle outside his area in order to deny Sinclair.

Home substitute Boyes did though direct a speculative 30-yard effort wide before also stabbing a late opportunity off-target as the tie remained deadlocked.

York were immediately playing catch-up during the penalty shoot-out when Farrell sent their first effort wide.

But Stallard chipped onto the bar before Boyes drove down the middle to earn the hosts a slender advantage, which soon increased after Ingham clutched onto Jeannin's spot-kick and Sodje struck home in confident fashion.

The Stags reduced the deficit as substitute Jonathan D'Laryea converted from their third attempt. But Hogg then stroked into the top corner to make it 3-1 before Hurren held his nerve to once more narrow the gap.

The Minstermen though still prevailed as Rusk slammed home their final penalty to secure a dramatic victory.


York spot on for a bit of revenge

York City took revenge on Mansfield Town last night with a dramatic win on penalties at Kit-Kat Crescent in the third round of the Setanta Shield.
The Stags, managed by ex-boss Billy McEwan, dumped York out of the FA Cup last month and looked poised for victory once more after Emile Sinclair gave them a 46th- minute lead.

However, hosts York dug deep and took the game into extra-time when skADVERTISEMENTipper Mark Greaves headed home four minutes into injury time.

No further goals were scored in 30 minutes extra time and York had the last laugh with a 4-2 win on penalties.

Craig Farrell fired York's first spot kick wide, but Adam Boyes, Onome Sodje, Steven Hogg and Simon Rusk all finished their efforts to send York through.

York gave a debut to new signing Bruce Dyer – the former million-pound striker signed by boss Colin Walker as he desperately bids to end the Minstermen's problems in front of goal.

City are now into the competition's last 16 but have a free weekend approaching following their exit from the FA Cup.

York are currently 13th in Blue Square Premier and return to league action a week on Saturday at home to Torquay United.


I have confirmed that commentary on tonight's Setanta Shield game should be available courtesy of BBC Radio York here

BBC Nottingham are not providing commentary.


Latest | November 2008