{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2008

5th October 2008 18:36

audio interview with Billy McEwan from BBC Radio Nottingham here


audio - AARON O'CONNOR from BBC Radio Nottingham: here

audio - Salisbury defender Bass: here


Salisbury foiled by Mansfield fightback
Monday, September 29, 2008, 08:00

Salisbury City 2 Mansfield Tn 3: Salisbury suffered a narrow defeat against Mansfield after they had twice led their illustrious opponents.
Salisbury manager Nick Holmes said: "It was disappointing defensively, especially in the second half.
"I thought that going forward we caused them some problems and the front two did well but it was some naive defending in the second half that cost us.
"At the end of the day, if you put in a half-decent display going forward and score two goals at home, you can expect to get the points.
"We can all make excuses like having loan players in and players playing out of position but the squad has to be better than that.
"It's not right to hide behind excuses, but I am hoping that by next week a few of our injured players might be getting closer, certainly Matt Robinson, as well as Michael Fowler and Djoumin Sangare. Those three I would hope would have improved, but the other injuries are long-term to Tim Bond, Robbie Sinclair, and Ryan Clarke."
In a bright start for Salisbury, Wayne Turk shot just wide with a first-minute effort before the lead arrived on 11 minutes through Andy Sandell, who scored after being set up by Liam Feeney and Ian Herring.
Matt Tubbs could have doubled the Whites' lead on 12 minutes but his finish was deflected.
Minutes later, he crossed into the box where Feeney failed to get the important touch. As the game ebbed and flowed, on-loan Sean Clohessy made a great tackle to deny Aaron O'Connor as went close.
On 56 minutes, an own goal by Scott Bartlett levelled the scores, but the Whites were ahead again seconds later when Feeney rounded off a great three-man attack involving Sandell, Ian Herring, and Turk.
However, the lead lasted only four minutes, when Salisbury keeper James Bittner failed to clear a cross from Matt Somner. The ball went to the far post where Mark Stallard had an easy task to equalise.
The killer blow came with 20 minutes remaining. Nathan Arnold squared the ball for O'Connor to convert easily.
Salisbury's best chance to grab a point came on 83 minutes when Sandell crossed and substitute Charlie Griffin headed narrowly wide


McEwan delight as Stags bounce back in style for first away win

Hurran enjoys only second start for Stags

Billy McEwan

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENTPublished Date: 27 September 2008

BILLY McEwan was delighted with his side's response to their midweek setback at Altrincham as they celebrated a first away win of the season, 3-2 at fourth-placed Salisbury City on Saturday afternoon.
Stags twice came from behind to win in a thrilling second half - after trailing 1-0 at half-time - and the Stags boss said: "That was good for the fans, but it wasn't for the faint-hearted.

"That was the most chances we have created all season and it was away to one of the top sides.

Salisbury 2 Mansfield Town 3

"Even in the first half we had good situations in the final third and in and around the six yard box. But we felt the ball didn't drop for us and thought maybe it wasn't going to be our day.

"It was important we bounced back today after Tuesday and I thought we bounced back in style.

"I was disappointed the way we conceded the first goal. But the boys hung in there and showed great resilience and battled back. Then we committed suicide again! But we came through in the end as worthy winners."

Aaron O'Connor returned from injury to grab the winner and McEwan added: "Playing Nathan (up front) was a gamble but it paid off for us.

"We tried three up after the break and, considering what time we've had to work on it this week, I thought we adapted very, very well."

O'Connor added: "I haven't played for a couple of weeks with my calf and only trained Thursday and Friday.

"Ideally I would have had a reserve game before this but I came straight back in and it just took its toll near the end with a bit of cramp, but I am fine.

"It was a good result - we had something to prove after Tuesday.

"At half time the manager said we had to keep knocking on the door and he said if we kept knowing, eventually we'd kick the door down - and that's what happened. We just kept asking the questions and sometimes it takes a bizarre own goal to get you kickstarted.

"We tried a different formation in the second half up front which worked. And when Nathan slipped the ball to me, all I had to do was put it in the net. The formation gave us a bit more licence to cause them problems."

Gavin Hurren, who made his second start of the season, added: "It was a brilliant, brilliant game and the lads showed great character to come back and get the result.

"It was frustrating but we never let heads drop and kept creating chances.

"I have not been involved much so far and all I could do is keep fit and keep training well. The boss put me in today and I've really enjoyed it. It was really nice to play and I hope I can kick on from here."


Latest | October 2008