Mansfield Town takeover: Rumours, denials and confusion
CHAD.co.uk, 03Jul2008, by Tim Morriss
CONFUSION surrounds the protracted takeover of Mansfield Town Football Club - but Chad understands that a sale could be completed as early as today (Thursday).
However, the identity of the likely new owners remains uncertain, 10 days after the anouncement that owner Keith Haslam and Doe Lea-born dentist Dr Colin Hancock had agreed a deal.
Full story http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/Mansfield-Town-takeover-Rumours-denials.4249910.jp
For it has emerged that a group of Mansfield-based businessmen remain in the race for the Stags.
This morning Dr Hancock, currently out of the country, denied rumours on a supporters group website that he had withdrawn his offer - and insisted that he was just waiting for the green light from Mr Haslam.
He told Chad: "It is mischievous and misguided to say that I have pulled out. I can understand and sympathise with the fans' frustration, but my position remains the same.
"I have placed funds at the disposal of the club . . . I have done all that I can do now."
It had been expected that Dr Hancock, chairman of Unibond club Glapwell, would complete his takeover at the beginning of the week and buy both the Stags and the Field Mill stadium.
But following a meeting on Monday between Dr Hancock, Mr Haslam and chief executive Stephen Booth - brokering the sale of the Stags - neither parties would make any comment at that time.
The sale delay prompted further speculation that the Stags owner was also considering a bid from a separate group, thought to be a consortium of Mansfield businessmen.
And rumours surfaced last night that Dr Hancock had withdrawn his bid after learning of the rival offer, but he quashed the suggestion and also told Chad: "I spoke to Stephen Booth on Thursday and he said that he had been in touch with Mr Haslam. Nothing has changed from my side."
Mr Booth declined to comment on the progress of the takeover, other than to reiterate that an official club statement would be made when the sale was complete.
When asked if this was likely to happen soon, he told Chad: "We are working hard to achieve this. The focus should be on the team, the players have returned to pre-season training and the fixtures have been announced."
The chief executive declined to comment further when questioned by Chad.
Chairman and Mansfield mayor Tony Egginton, like Dr Hancock currently out of the country, told Chad that he was unaware of the delay in the completion of the agreed Hancock takeover - a deal both he and Mr Booth have helped to put together.
He added: "We have to be positive. Like all the fans, I know that a deal needs to be concluded as quickly as possible so that the focus can be on regaining our Football League status. That is the number one priority."
Manager Paul Holland, still waiting to hear if he will be in charge next season and when he can bring in new players to strengthen his threadbare squad, told BBC Radio Nottingham that he, too, expected a quick resolution to the takeover saga.
Holland said the takeover was 'not a million miles away, it all seems very, very close'.
He added: "It is a very important deal . . . but somewhere along the line a decision has to be made. It is very frustrating, but I do see light at the end of the tunnel."
Full Stags squad ready to go on takeover green light
STAGS boss Paul Holland will have an exciting looking Stags squad for the new season assembled by Monday lunchtime – if he is given the go-ahead tomorrow.
Full story http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/Full-Stags-squad-ready-to.4253660.jp
Though the silence on the expected takeover deal continues to drag on, Holland firmly believes its is so close now that it will done in time for him to call players he wants by tomorrow night and invite them in on Monday.
All this, of course, assumes he will be kept on as manager. But he has had a good turn out of last season's players for the first two days of pre-season training and said: "We could literally go from nine signed players to 21 or 22 by Monday lunchtime.
"I could have our full squad in training which would be great.
"This week we have had Keith Briggs, Jon D'Laryea, Jake Buxton, the Boulding brothers and Carl Muggleton from last season all come in to train and I would love to get them all signed.
"They all know the situation and are being very patient as are the other players elsewhere who are waiting on my phone call. They are still very keen but we really can't afford to wait much longer.
"I know Jake has said he wants to stay in the League but nothing has happened yet.
"And I know Mickey has had offers to go elsewhere in the League, but I have had a good chat with him and am still very, very hopeful we can keep him here.
"It's a good sign that he has come back here pre-season training and he looks in great shape as they all do. They have all looked after themselves."
Latest | July 2008