Wainwright lack of action angers Penney
By Lee Hall, Northern Echo, 11Apr08
NEIL Wainwright looks set to return to Darlington next week after Dave Penney revealed his disappointment at the lack of games the winger has played on loan at Mansfield Town.
The 30-year-old trained with Quakers yesterday, although he will return to Field Mill to play in his last game at Macclesfield tomorrow.
Whether or not he features remains to be seen, as the former Sunderland winger has been used only sparingly since joining the struggling Stags last month.
advertisementWainwright has played just 95 minutes of football in four appearances for Mansfield, who are second from bottom in League Two.
That has angered Penney, who sanctioned the move to allow Wainwright to gain some match practice.
The Quakers boss had six strikers at his disposal when he allowed Wainwright to leave. But- Darlington have since lost Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu, Gregg Blundell, Richie Foran, Pawel Abbott and Julian Joachim to injury.
Due to a minimum 28-day loan ruling, Penney was unable to recall Wainwright.
And, while Ndumbu-Nsungu will be fit in time to face Hereford United tomorrow, Penney is expected to recall Wainwright next week.
"He trained with us today and he got ten minutes on the pitch for Mansfield on Tuesday night," said Penney.
"He's probably only played an hour in five or six games at Mansfield.
If we'd known that was going to be the situation we wouldn't have let him go in the first place. We wanted him to go there and get games.
"He would have been involved with us with the injuries we've got.
"We'll get Saturday's game out of the way - that is technically his last game - and after then we can recall him. At this moment that's what we'll do."
CHAD VIDEO: The Stags can still stay up - Mansfield Town boss Paul Holland
To watch a full video interview with the manager by Chad's Stephen Thirkill,
here --> http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/VIDEO-The-Stags-can-still.3968399.jp
CARETAKER Stags boss Paul Holland says Mansfield Town will still beat the League Two drop, despite last night's reversal at Stockport County.
Stags slipped to a 2-1 defeat against promotion-chasing County to stay rooted in the bottom two and also had influential captain Jake Buxton sent off.
But despeat the disappointing loss manager Holland believes his side can bag enough points in the last four games to avoid relegation heart-ache.
"It is one more game gone now, but we have to keep our spirits up. We had the chance to get out of the relegation and we did not take it, but Saturday is another chance,"said Holland.
"We have four massive games to come and our performances our good. Our performances are better than the team around us and we now need to turn performances into results.
"Decisions went against us last night and I still cannot see why Jake Buxton was sent off. We cannot use this an an excuse though and we will take positives from last night."
Holland now expects a tough dog-fight against lowly Macclesfield and is calling on his Stags side to respond to the challenge.
Said Holland: "I have seen Macclesfield a couple of times this season, they will play it long and be strong and we have to be ready for that. We are a more mobile team than them and are playing good attacking football.
"We have defended well before against big times such as against Bradford and we an do the same on Saturday. I am happy with how we are performing
"This is a winnable game for us and we hope we start to get some decisions and get the rewards we deserve. The table will look much better if we get three points on Saturday."
Buxton banned for 2 games as Stags' defence disrupted after 8 matches
STAGS will be forced to field a reshuffled back four in Saturday's crunch clash away to Macclesfield Town.
Captain Jake Buxton will be absent following his controversial sending off against Stockport on Wednesday, while full-back Gareth Jelleyman is rated as "50-50" as he fights to overcome an achilles injury.
It will be the first time in eight League Two matches that Mansfield have changed their defensive line-up.
Full story http://www.chad.co.uk/stags/Stags39-defence-disruption-after-8.3968623.jp
Buxton was handed a two-match ban by the Football Association on Thursday morning - one extra match ban because it was his second sending off this season - for denying a goalscoring opportunity.
The two match suspension starts immediately and Buxton will miss this Saturday's away game at Macclesfield, and the home match against Shrewsbury on 19th April.
But boss Paul Holland says the disruption will offer fringe players the perfect opportunity to stake their claim for a spot in the starting 11.
"Buxton being out of the game is a blow, but it is a squad game and not just about 11 players," said Holland.
"We have a good squad and this is a great chance for fringe players like Chris Wood and Keith Briggs to come in and show me what they can do.
"We have had a settled back four for a long time now and they have performed very well. We have options for Saturday and slotting John Mullins in as centre-back is one of those.
"The whole squad is training well including the players that have not featured in recent games. We do not have time to mope about and morale in the camp is high. We are all fully committed to beating relegation."
Stags full back Gareth Jelleyman is rated at 50-50 for the match at Macclesfield on Saturday,
after limping off at Stockport with an achilles injury.
He was replaced by substitute Gareth Briggs, but manager Paul Holland told mansfieldtown.net:
"We have Keith Briggs, Chris Wood and Dan Martin as defensive replacements . . .
so we do have options available'.
FULL STORY AT mansfieldtown.net
Latest | April 2008