{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2008

11th February 2008 11:26

Winning goal clip from Mansfield 103.2 commentary here

Wycombe Wanderers 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
McGleish 42 Boulding pen 7. Louis 89.
Attendance: 5963 (194 from Mansfield)

Martin Shaw and Svante Bernhard at Adams Park

Mansfield Town grabbed a sensational last minute victory for the second away game on the trot at Wycombe Wanderers this afternoon. It was the Stags' 4th away win in succession and their first ever at Wycombe. Michael Boulding put Mansfield ahead early in the game from the penalty spot after Jefferson Louis had been tugged down. Scott McGleish equalised for the Chairboys on 42 minutes, but on 89 minutes Jefferson Louis powered his way into the Wycombe box and slotted the ball under the keeper to send the Stags fans wild with delight. It was a remarkable turnaround for the Stags following their 4-0 drubbing by Wycombe at Field Mill just a month ago. The win took the Stags out of the relegation zone for the first time in 2 months and now it is time to pick up back to back wins for the first time this season with the visit of league new boys Morecambe on Tuesday.

Highlights from Mansfield 103.2 commentary here

Stagsnet report now in the Match Centre.

Bizarre scene at Adams Park long after the final whistle with rugby posts in front of football posts in preparation for London Wasps game, with moon and floodlights in background (photo by Martin Shaw)

CHAD report by John Lomas:
Wycombe Wanderers 1 Mansfield Town, 2 Saturday 9th February
JEFFERSON Louis continues to look an inspired signing as he won Stags a penalty and then grabbed a late winner in Mansfield Town's fantastic away victory at Wycombe Wanderers.
Stags were slammed 4-0 at home by the Chairboys last month, but that was quickly wiped away today as big striker Louis snatched his second goal in as many games on his full debut to record Mansfield's fourth successive away win - the best run on their travels since seven consecutive away victories in 1991.

It also lifted Stags off the bottom of the League and out of the bottom two relegation places - a huge tonic ahead of Tuesday night's home clash with Morecambe.

The only disappointment for the Stags was wins for relegation rivals Lincoln, Bury and Macclesfield; with Wrexham and Notts County picking up draws. In fact, the only side in the bottom of the table dogfight to lose was Dagenham.

In a game of few chances, and with former Celtic star Neil Lennon making his home debut, Wycombe inevitably had most of the possession.

But Louis won an eighth minute penalty which Mickey Boulding safely dispatched and the visitors held onto that lead until Scott McGleish headed an equaliser just before half-time.

Stags survived a John Sutton header against their crossbar midway through the second half and looked to be heading for a deserved point for all their hard battling until Stephen Dawson carved out a late winner for Louis.

The Stags side showed three changes with Brown out suspended and D'Laryea and Wood dropped to the bench.

Martin returned to left back after injury and illness and there were full debuts for left winger Atkinson and Louis.

Stags threatened in the opening minute as Louis flicked on Bell's lofted pass. Boulding tried a first time flick at goal, but it was straight at the keeper and the whistle had gone for pushing anyway.

Wycombe's first attack saw Bell get in a good tackle to halt Sutton in the box and soon after bell sliced a 25 yard shot well wide at the other end.

Louis was already putting himself about and in the eighth minute he won a penalty from which Stags swept ahead.

Boulding flicked a header into the path of Louis which Holt should have cut out. But the big striker muscled his way goalside of him and Holt brought him down.

Boulding took the responsibility of the spot kick and buried it low to the right of the keeper for his 19th goal of the season.

Muggleton did well under pressure to punch away a dangerous Woodman cross.

A long Martin cross from the right sailed over everyone and found Woodman lurking unmarked on the far corner of the box. He controlled well and then unleashed a dipping volley which was a couple of foot too high.

Then a Torres cross was laid back by McGleish towards Martin who also curled his 20 yard finish too high.

There was momentary worry as Jelleyman slipped on the by-line and allowed Sutton to advance towards goal but the defender recovered well to block the Wanderers' man's low cross.

Buxton headed clear the first home corner and Dawson broke well. However, Boulding was looking away as the Irishman played his final through ball and the moment was gone.

A Doherty cross picked out McGleish in the box and he controlled and looked set to shoot until Buxton came in with a great challenge.

But the Chairboys levelled things three minutes from the break.

A neat backheel from Torres caught the Stags defence flatfooted as Woodman crossed from the left and McGleish, so often a thorn in Mansfield sides down the years, was there to head in off the underside of the crossbar.

Stags survived some home pressure early in the second half and won their first corner of the afternoon on 54 minutes. Hamshaw sent it over, Mullins headed goal wards and keeper Fielding dived bravely at the feet of Boulding before he could finish from close range.

A minute later Dawson's pass saw Boulding let fly from 25 yards and he wasn't too far over with his powerful shot.

A quick free kick caught Stags napping and some neat home passing ended with Torres poking narrowly wide.

On 62 minutes Wycombe almost went ahead as Sutton sent a header crashing against the bar from a near post cross from the left and Mansfield breathed again.

Still the pressure remained as Wycombe retained possession in the visitors' half and Mullins had to clear after a scramble.

A home short corner was worked to Bloomfield but he sent a hurried shot well wide of the target.

Martin saw the afternoon's first booking on 73 minutes after flattening Bloomfield in frustration.

On 78 minutes Stags broke away only for Hamshaw to be caught offside as Boulding put him through to net in vain.

Mansfield tried to shore things up for the last nine minutes as the attacking flair of Hamshaw was sacrificed for holding midfielder D'Laryea.

Louis forced a save from Fielding with a header from Bell's cross but was penalised for pushing.

As at Lincoln in their last away game, Stags produced an explosive sting in the tail right at the end.

In the 90th minute Dawson battled down the centre and threaded a pass to Louis in the box. The big striker's first touch made room and his second was to slot past Fielding for his second goal in as many games.

Immediately Wycombehad the ball in the away net after a scramble, but a flag had been long raised before they found the net.

Deep into the four minutes of stoppage time, Boulding headed a long clearance on for Louis who returned the compliment to send Boulding on his way, his final shot clearing the bar from 20 yards.

But it didn't matter as the final whistle hailed a fourth straight away win and Stags off the bottom once again.

WYCOMBE: Fielding, Martin, McCracken, Holt, Sutton (Knight 62), McGleish, Woodman, Johnson (Williamson 89), Torres (Bloomfield 62), Doherty, Lennon. Subs not used: Young, Boucaud.

STAGS: Muggleton, Mullins, Jelleyman, Bell, Hamshaw (D'Laryea 81), Dawson, M. Boulding, Buxton, Martin, Louis, Atkinson. Subs not used: White, Arnold, Holmes, Wood.

REFEREE: Roger East of Wiltshire.



Latest | February 2008