An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Click the headline to read the full story.

THORPE:CONSORTIUM`S £3m OFFER WILL NOT BE REPEATED
11/December/2007 23:54:41

Consortium's £3m offer 'will not be repeated'
CHAD.o.uk, 11Dec2007, exclusive by Tim Morriss

DISAPPOINTED consortium member John Thorpe has said its £3m takeover offer for Mansfield Town FC, turned down by owner Keith Haslam, will not be repeated or increased.
Now the respected businessman says he will concentrate on being a fan for now after seeing his dreams of running the club he has been a lifelong supporter of dashed.

Mr Thorpe, seen by many supporters as a key figure in the rejected James Derry consortium, has also thanked fans for their support over the past two months.

The consortium's offer was rejected by Mr Haslam last week and on Tuesday he then stepped down as chief executive at the Stags - appointing Nottingham chartered accountant Stephen Booth to takeover his role and actively seek a buyer.

At the time it was said that the consortium's bid was still on the table and Stags chairman Mr Derry - who headed the consortium of local businessmen - has remained at the club.

However, Mr Thorpe, of Ravenshead, told Chad that the consortium's £3m offer could not even be repeated at this stage - and definitely not increased.

Mr Thorpe had already outlined his vision to transform the club off the field and be more inclusive with fans and the business community.

And he had provided personal financial guarantees to try to persuade Mr Haslam to sell.

Mr Thorpe told Chad: "Our offer, which in my opinion was generous beyond belief, has been rejected.

"When you deduct the FA Cup run, the home games throughout December, the Christmas merchandising, together with the fact that we have less time to implement our Business Plan and the expense of the close season looming ever nearer, we would not replicate the offer at this stage - never mind increase it.

"I will now settle back into my supporters role and continue to build relationships with the supporters groups and other members of the consortium, who I have the utmost respect for.

"I am absolutely gutted for the supporters and everyone involved with MTFC because I know that we would have made positive history, which our town would have been proud of.

"Who knows? Life certainly is like a box of chocolates! I feel we've eaten quite a few hard ones recently . . . there must be some sweet soft centres around the corner surely!

"Let's now concentrate on winning the real war and preserving our League status this year."

Mr Thorpe added that he would not rule out a future bid for the club from the consortium and its chairman James Derry.


Back to News