{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2007

7th December 2007 23:53

Harrogate Railway 2 - 3 Mansfield Town
Davidson 61, 84. Jelleyman 38, M.Boulding 51, 77
Attendance: 1,486 (330 from Mansfield)
FA Cup Round 2
2 December 2007

by Martin Shaw
Mansfield Town put in a competent display in front of the live BBC1 TV cameras on Sunday afternoon. After a scrappy opening by Mansfield, in which Railway hit the bar, the Stags gradually got on top and put together some good football for the last 25 minutes of the first half, deservedly taking the lead on 38 minutes through Gareth Jelleyman. The Stags continually stretched Railway in the second half scoring twice more through Michael Boulding and it was surprising when the home side pulled goals back to make it 1-2 and 2-3. Despite the score, this was an easy win for the Stags although keeper Muggleton had to make a good save in stoppage time.

Stagsnet player ratings now in the Match Centre.

Stags fans were incandescent with rage about the antics of owner Keith Haslam and protests were clearly visible and audible on the BBC TV coverage.

(still by spatie)

(stills by Martin Shaw)
Video clips of Haslam Out protests at Harrogate Railway as broadcast live on BBC1 here. (video is 6Mb)
Download BBC Radio 5live commentary:
First half here
Second half here
The Times
December 3, 2007
Railway journey hits end of line
Harrogate Railway 2 Mansfield 3Jeremy Cross at Station View
Harrogate Railway's FA Cup odyssey came to a halt at Station View yesterday, but not before the non-League minnows had pushed Mansfield Town, of Coca-Cola League Two, to the limit in their pursuit of a coveted place in the third round for the first time in the club's history.

The UniBond North Division team twice pulled goals back through Daniel Davidson, a substitute, as Mansfield, ranked 81 places above their opponents, struggled to get over the finish line in front of almost 1,500 rain-soaked supporters.

The match was almost called off because of torrential rain before kick-off, which left one corner of the ground under two feet of water. Railway officials had to call in local firemen to pump water off the pitch to avoid missing out on a £75,000 windfall from the BBC, which screened the match live on television.

Railway came within a whisker of making the perfect start inside three minutes when Scott Ryan's curling free kick skimmed the bar as the visiting team struggled to contend with a pudding of a pitch that sloped about five feet from one side to the other.

Mansfield gradually began to find their feet, however, and took the lead seven minutes before the interval when Gareth Jelleyman squeezed a shot in off a post after a scramble in the Railway penalty area. The lead was doubled six minutes after the restart when Rory Boulding headed into the path of his brother, Michael, who showed composure to beat John McLaughlin with a neat finish.

The drama was just about to unfold, however. Davidson pulled a goal back for Railway with his first touch on the hour mark and, even though Michael Boulding scored his second of the match with 13 minutes remaining, the home team refused to give in.

Davidson lashed in his second goal with five minutes remaining and saw a curling shot superbly saved at the death by Carl Muggleton as Railway sniffed a sensational fightback. But it was not to be.

Vinnie Brockie, the Railway manager, praised his amateur players after the final whistle and admitted that the club's profitable run had provided them with a memorable experience. “The players can feel really proud of themselves, they gave it their all and I couldn't have asked for more from them,” he said. “The cup run has done us the power of good because it has left us with some great memories.”

Billy Dearden, the Mansfield manager, joined in Brockie's praise of Railway, saying: “Full marks to Railway because they gave us a real game. The whole nation will have been supporting them, but our attitude was spot on.”

Harrogate Railway (4-4-2): J McLaughlin – R Haigh, R Morgan, J Riley (sub: D Blair, 69min), D Lowe – B Littlefair, S Ryan, A Jones (sub: D Conway, 59), M Morgan – N Smith (sub: D Davidson, 60), R Marshall. Substitutes not used: P Turner, D Thirkall. Booked: Lowe.

Mansfield Town (4-4-2): C Muggleton – J Mullins, A Baptiste, J Buxton, D Martin – M Hamshaw, S Dawson (sub: J D'Laryea, 88), L Bell, G Jelleyman – M Boulding, R Boulding (sub: S Brown, 74). Substitutes not used: J White, M McIntosh. Booked: Brown.

Referee M Pike
Attendance 1,486

The Guardian
Railway carry the fight but are shunted out by Stags
Richard Rae at Station View
Monday December 3, 2007
The compensation in financial terms may have been considerable - around £100,000 was the conservative estimate - but there was no disguising the disappointment on the faces of the Harrogate Railway players when the final whistle blew at a sodden Station View yesterday.

For the final few minutes of normal time and a full five minutes of injury-time the professionals of Mansfield Town had been hanging on against their amateur opponents. Twice two goals clear and apparently in control, the League Two team were twice pegged back and it needed a good save from their goalkeeper Carl Muggleton and several kind bounces in their penalty area before the Stags' presence in the third round could be confirmed.
Covers on the sloping pitch ensured a prompt if squelchy kick-off, though the heaviness of the turf was not the equaliser it might have been. As their manager, Vince Brockie, pointed out, Railway are a passing team and their determination to test their technical ability as well as fitness against full-time opponents was evident throughout. Had Scott Ryan's third-minute free-kick been a couple of inches lower, they would have made a perfect start but the ball bounced off the bar with Muggleton a spectator.
Brockie's main concern beforehand had been that his young players might be unnerved by the thought of the millions watching on television but it was over-eagerness that seemed to be the main danger; one early break saw Mansfield surge into the Harrogate half with a two-man advantage. Even so, the Town opener owed more to good fortune than anything else; Gareth Jelleyman's shot was blocked, only for the ball to rebound off his shin beyond the Railway goalkeeper, Jonathan McLaughlin.

The entertainment value, already high, increased further during the break, when an initially good-natured tussle between the two mascots, Mansfield's stag and Harrogate's 7ft tall beaver, spilled over into a bout of mud-wrestling, but Mansfield's second after the break, Michael Boulding out-pacing James Riley on to Alex John-Baptiste's long ball to score his eighth goal in 10 games, appeared to have sealed the victory.

Instead Brockie's double substitution paid an instant dividend when Daniel Davidson headed Byron Littlefair's free-kick past Muggleton. Boulding, his pace an increasing threat as the Rail defence began to tire, then flicked home Simon Brown's cross but Davidson, who works for a building society, curled home a second to set the Mansfield nerves on edge.

"They were probably the better team but we pushed them all the way and [the players] did everything I asked them to, so they should be proud of themselves," said Brockie, of his team that included students, waiters, a glazier and, in the case of the suitably elegant midfielder Adam Jones, a dancer. They left quickly, eschewing the post-match beers and buffet, to prepare for Tadcaster Albion in the West Riding County Cup on Wednesday.

Mansfield face Brighton away in the third round, a reward that might have put something of a damper on celebrations. "I thought their attitude was tremendous but ours was spot-on too," said their manager, Billy Dearden. "Only those of us connected with the club wanted to see us win and the last few minutes were definitely nervy but we got the job done."

Man of the match Michael Boulding (Mansfield Town)

Daily Telegraph
Harrogate Railway's dreams hit buffers
By Phil Shaw
Harrogate Railway Athletic (0) 2 Mansfield Town (1) 3
For the timber merchants, waiters, glaziers and part-time models of Harrogate Railway, the dream was a lucrative away-day against Premier League opponents. Knockout competition will occupy their thoughts over the coming days, but after Mansfield's hard-fought victory, the stark reality for 'The Rail' is a West Riding Cup game against Tadcaster Albion on Wednesday.

Football fans' forumadvertisement
Facing a League Two side who stand 81 places above them in the league ladder, the Unibond League North Division part-timers bowed out with their pride intact and a six-figure sum banked from television and sponsorship.

Mansfield, who must travel to Brighton in the third round rather than to the Emirates Stadium or Old Trafford, twice plumped up a two-goal cushion. Each time, however, it was pegged back by substitute Danny Davidson, and Mansfield were indebted to Carl Muggleton, 39, for the fine stoppage-time save that denied the building-society worker a hat-trick.

Railway's refusal to submit to the seemingly inevitable - even after the outstanding Michael Boulding's second goal looked to have put Mansfield in the comfort zone - allied to a pitch that is five feet higher on one wing than on the other, helped to conjure a minor classic.

Railway manager Vinnie Brockie, whose own aspirations to stardom were dashed when Leeds released him after two games, acclaimed his team's showing. "They can feel proud," he said. "They did everything we asked of them. We've had a long run, going back to September, but we leave with some good memories."

Billy Dearden, the Mansfield manager, also praised his players, who were on a hiding to nothing. "It was very difficult out there," he said. "Full marks to Harrogate. The last five minutes were nerve-racking, but my lads' attitude was spot-on."

Either side of a friendly half-time fight between the mascots - a surreal seven-foot beaver and a stag - the full-timers struck. Gareth Jelleyman claimed an unwitting first after his shot was parried by Jonathan McLaughlin and cannoned off the midfielder and the far post before nestling in the net. Michael Boulding, sent clear by younger brother Rory, rolled in the second.

Davidson headed in Bryon Littlefair's free-kick with his first touch, but Mansfield again asserted their superior quality when Michael Boulding, once of Aston Villa, deftly converted Simon Brown's cross for his 13th goal of the season.

Fitness might have been expected to count against Railway in the closing stages, but with six minutes remaining, a splendid side-footed finish by Davidson set up a rousing finale, and it was left to Muggleton, diving like a man half his age to catch the scorer's curling shot, to deny Railway a replay few could have begrudged them.

Match details
Harrogate Railway Athletic (4-4-2): McLaughlin; Haigh, R Morgan, Riley (Blair 69), Lowe; Littlefair, Jones (Conway 59), Ryan, M Morgan; Smith (Davidson 59), Marshall.
Subs: Turner, Thirkell.
Booked: Lowe.
Goals: Davidson (60, 84).
Mansfield Town (4-4-2): Muggleton; Mullins, Baptiste, Buxton, Martin; Hamshaw, Bell, Dawson (D'Laryea 89), Jelleyman; M Boulding, R Boulding (Brown 74).
Subs: White (g), McIntosh, McAliskey.
Booked: Brown.
Goals: Jelleyman (38), M Boulding (51, 77).
Referee: M Pike (Cumbria).

harrogateadvertiser.net report

FA Cup 2nd Round: Harrogate Railway 2 Mansfield Town 3
HARROGATE Railway battled bravely against League Two outfit Mansfield Town in the pouring rain at Station View, but ultimately went out of the FA Cup after a 3-2 defeat.
Pounding rain and a sea of mud couldn't dampen spirits but although Railway fought valiantly for 90 minutes and smashed in two goals through sub' Danny Davidson, they finally kissed goodbye to their FA Cup dream.

Just under 1,500 fans from both camps packed into the tiny ground, where despite horrendous conditions, and floodwater being pumped off the pitch, belief that Railway could set up a Third Roud tie against a Premiership club was strong.
Covers had been placed on to the famous sloping turf early Sunday morning as stormclouds broke over Starbeck.
But despite fears the game might have to be cancelled, superhuman efforts by the fire service and ground staff ensured BBC's Match of The Day went ahead.
No-one could escape the rain - fans, the press and even some VIP guests all drenched by the non-stop downpour.
Ray Stubbs, Carlton Palmer and Mark Lawrenson had some protection under their makeshift gazebo, but even Stubbs declared the trio ' the wallies with brollies'.
Walking out to deafening cheers, Vinnie Brockie's Railway showed no fear of their illustrious opponents in the opening stages.
Mansfield supporters were given an early boost when young striker Rory Boulding smashed an effort at Jon McLaughlin's goal but it was deemed offisde and then came the real first chance.
After just three minutes, striker Richard Marshall won a free-kick on the edge of the box after a challenge by centre half Alex John-Bapstiste.
Set-piece specialist Scott Ryan stepped up to take it, and Rail' fans gasped as his dipping kick left 'keeper Carl Muggleton stranded and bounced off the top of the crossbar.
Railway definitely enjoyed the best of the early exchanges, Marshall and Byron Littlefair causing Mansfield no end of problems as the visitors struggled to cope with the tricky conditions.
But gradually they found their footing, and leading scorer ex-Aston Villa striker Michael Boulding showed his class around the 18th minute, hurling himself forward in front of left back Ryan Haigh to almost head in after a cross from Stephen Dawson.
Mansfield were looking ever more dangerous going forward - the Boulding brothers constantly leading the charge to force some terrifically brave saves from McLaughlin.
And finally they secured the breakthrough in the 38th minute with their first real move of the game, which flowed through six passes
Tearing through the Rail' midfield, Michael Boulding's shot was blocked by centre half James Riley and Scott Ryan, but the ball fell to left back Gareth Jelleyman whose shot was parried by 'keeper Jon McLaughlin.
Haigh seemed to have cleared the danger, but his effort was blocked by Jelleyman, and the ball went in off his studs and the post.
Jelleyman celebrated his first goal in two years, although Railway were desperately unlucky that three decent clearances had still cost them a goal.
Railway were going to have to hit back right away to stand any chance of a result, but only two minutes after the restart Rory Boulding fired a shot in from 20 yards under no pressure from the Rail' defence.
McLaughlin did well to turn it out, but it was an early warning sign of the danger still to come.
A ragged Railway midfield was struggling to stamp authority on to their visitors, and Michael Boulding won a corner after running past Haigh and skipper Rob Morgan blocked his cross.
Matthew Hamshaw's corner failed to produce anything, but only two minutes later John-Bapstiste hoofed clear at the other end, and Boulding raced on to a flick on from his brother.
He cantered well clear of the desperate efforts of Riley and Boulding held his nerve to slot past McLaughlin on 51 minutes.
Railway looked dead and buried, and Mansfield already in the Third Round and it could have been made even worse when Jelleyman missed an open goal in the 55th minute, blazing over from six yards.
But this was a let-off and signalled a Railway revival as an inspired decision by Brockie in the 60th minute to field a double substitution quickly paid dividends.
Midfielder Adam Jones and striker Nick Smith were exchanged for Dave Conway and Danny Davidson, and when Littlefair was fouled out on the right, the winger whipped in a left-footed free kick which Davidson met with a towering header that fizzed in past Muggleton.
Station View exploded, and thanks to only the second touch of the new striker, Railway were back in the tie.
With new spirit and determination to win 50-50 balls, Railway were looking much more positive and now had a genuine threat upfront thanks to Davidson's height and power.
Winger Matty Morgan produced their next attack, picking up the ball 20 metres inside his own half before running to the edge of the box, but after a super cross Conway failed to connect and crashed into Muggleton.
The huge efforts were starting to take their toll, Littlefair down with cramp and Riley replaced by Dominique Blair after picking up what seemed to be a hamstring injury.
Riley's departure saw Matt Morgan move to left back and Lowe into centre half, as Blair took up a role on the left wing.

Rory Boulding was replaced by Simon Brown in the 74th minute, and it was a foul by Rail' skipper Rob Morgan which led to Mansfield's third goal.
Hamshaw took the free kick, initially cleared well by Railway, but Dawson's ball back in caught Railway flatfooted.
Mansfield skipper Jake Buxton's dummy allowed Brown to square for Boulding to tap in past McLaughlin, and Railway looked on course to be felled by the same scoreline as they were five years ago by Bristol City.
But they weren't about to give up just yet.
Having won a corner with six minutes of normal time left, Ryan's ball dropped to Marshall who showed fantastic awareness to find Davidson loitering unmarked near the penalty spot.
The substitute turned and coolly finished first time with a well-directed right-footed shot for his second of the afternoon.
Five minutes of normal time remaining and tempers flared, with Lowe and Brown both handed yellow cards after Lowe's challenge on Lee Bell followed an initial tackle on Dawson.
John D'Laryea replaced Dawson for the closing stages, where a battling Railway threw everything they had at Mansfield.
In the first of five minutes of injury time, Ryan had a chance to win an equaliser with a late free-kick from which Davidson almost grabbed a sensational hat-trick, but Muggleton got down to the ball well and the chance was gone.
A late Littlefair corner had Station View on tenterhooks as Davidson and Haigh both tried to make something of it but the whistle blew and it was Mansfield Town who were through to the Third Round.
Coach Vinnie Brockie paid tribute to his battling side.
"I'm very proud of every one of these players," he said.
"The last ten minutes we threw everything at Mansfield, and they were glad to hear the final whistle.
"We knew we were pushing them, and for a League Club to be hanging on you know you're doing something right."
SEE Friday's Harrogate Advertiser for more coverage.

FA Cup 2nd Round
Harrogate Railway 2 (Davidson, 61, 84)
Mansfield Town (Jelleyman 38, M Boulding 51, 77)

Harrogate Railway: Jonathan McLaughlin, Ryan Haigh, Daniel Lowe, Adam Jones (Dave Conway 59), Rob Morgan (c), James Riley (Dominique Blair 69), Byron Littlefair, Scott Ryan, Nick Smith (Davidson 59), Richard Marshall, Matt Morgan; Subs not used Phil Turner, Dan Thirkell.

Mansfied Town: Carl Muggleton, Johnn Mullins, Alex John-Baptiste, Jake Buxton, Gareth Jelleyman, Dan Martin, Mickey Boulding, Lee Bell, Stephen Dawson (John D'Laryea 88), Matthew Hamshaw, Rory Boulding (Simon Brown 75); Subs not used Jason White; Martin McIntosh, John McAliskey
BBC.co.uk report:
Harrogate Railway 2-3 Mansfield
Non-league Harrogate Railway came close but could not cause an upset as Mansfield Town nervously booked their place in the FA Cup third round.
In muddy conditions at Station View, Harrogate set the early pace with Scott Ryan curling a free kick onto the bar.

Mansfield made their class tell with a 38th minute Gareth Jelleyman goal and two from Michael Boulding.

But substitute Danny Davidson scored two second-half goals to put Harrogate within reach of a heroic comeback.
Harrogate, the lowest ranked team left in the competition, were always chasing the game against a team 81 places above them in the league pyramid structure.

Through the forward partnership of brothers Michael and Ryan Boulding, Mansfield had much of the play.

Yet, between Boulding's two second-half goals, Harrogate's Davidson came off the bench to head in off the bar with his first touch and finish coolly for a second goal to set up a frenetic finish with the score at 3-2.

And in the last minute Davidson, who works for a building society, shot powerfully at goal from the edge of the area.

But Mansfield keeper Karl Muggleton stopped it to keep his team on course for a third round meeting with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Harrogate Railway: Mclaughlin, Haigh, Robert Morgan, Riley (Blair 70), Lowe, Littlefair, Adam Jones (Conway 60), Scott Ryan, Matt Morgan, Marshall, Smith (Davidson 60).
Subs Not Used: Turner, Thirkall.

Booked: Lowe.

Goals: Davidson 61, 84.

Mansfield: Muggleton, Mullins, Baptiste, Buxton, Martin, Hamshaw, Bell, Dawson (D'Laryea 88), Jelleyman, Michael Boulding, Rory Boulding (Brown 74).
Subs Not Used: White, Martin McIntosh, McAliskey.

Booked: Brown.

Goals: Jelleyman 38, Michael Boulding 51, 77.

Att: 1,486

Ref: Mike Pike (Cumbria).


Latest | December 2007