{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from November 2007

HASLAM STILL WANTS CLARIFICATION ON SOME POINTS
29th November 2007 16:39


Derry to meet Haslam on Monday in takeover showdown
CHAD.co.uk, Exclusive, by Tim Morriss, 29Nov2007, 2.30pm
A CRUCIAL meeting is to be held on Monday morning between Stags owner Keith Haslam and consortium leader James Derry in a last ditch bid to resurrect the sale of the football club.
On Thursday the football club's controversial chief executive rejected the takeover bid from Mr Derry's group of businessmen, shortly after the noon deadline imposed by the consortium . . . but left the door open for further talks.
Mr Derry's group had wanted a decision on its revised offer for the Stags after the owner called for more details and proof that they had the money to support their plans.
The consortium had threatened to walk away from the takeover talks after eight weeks of protracted negotiations.

But Mr Derry told Chad this afternoon: "The time we have spent on all of this makes it difficult to walk away.

"I have spoken to members of the consortium and they understand the situation.

"We will sit down with Keith on Monday and see if we can get anywhere. But at the moment it doesn't look good.

"Keith has not rejected our offer per se, he says he still wants clarification on certain points.

"But as it stands the differences look fairly terminal. We will try to work through it, though."

Mr Derry will also be considering his position as Stags chairman. He added: "I don't think I can carry on, even though Keith wants me to, but we will see what happens on Monday first."

------------

http://www.thisismansfieldtown.co.uk, 29Nov2007, 1pm
JAMES Derry told thisismansfieldtown.co.uk that it will be now difficult to salvage a deal to buy Mansfield Town after owner Keith Haslam this afternoon declined to accept his consortium's offer. “Keith has not rejected our offer per se, but he says he still wants clarification on certain points. As it stands at the moment the differences look fairly terminal, but we will try to work through it.
Haslam said in a statement: “I am still willing to reach a deal and I am happy to work with Mr Derry, but I cannot respond to a verbal offer when even that seems to moving on a daily basis."
For full story, visit thisismansfieldtown.co.uk

---------------

Haslam rejects consortium's buyout offer
CHAD.co.uk, Exclusive, by Tim Morriss, 29Nov2007, 1pm
STAGS owner Keith Haslam has rejected the offer from the James Derry consortium to buy Mansfield Town FC.
But the controversial chief executive has still left the door open for the consortium - which had imposed a noon deadline for a decision on its offer - to takeover the football club in the future.

Worried fans had always thought that Mr Haslam would not make a sale decision before Sunday's FA Cup Second Round televised tie at Harrogate Railway - because of the £75,000 windfall from the match being televised live on the BBC and the possibility of a glamour Third Round tie with a Premiership club.

On Thursday Mr Haslam, rejecting the consortium's offer, said that yesterday he had asked for written terms to be put forward, but the consortium was unwilling or unable to comply and instead imposed the deadline.

He added in his lunchtime statement: "I cannot respond to an offer that is not clear in its terms and is not in writing.

"I am still willing to reach a deal and I am happy to work with Mr Derry, but I can not respond to a verbal offer when even that seems to be moving on a daily basis.

"I have to leave it to Mr Derry to decide what he now wants to do. I won't be making any further comment until after the weekend and the focus should now turn to the FA Cup game on Sunday against Harrogate Railway which is a very big game for the football club."

Mr Derry, who had said the consortium would walk away if there was no decision today, told Chad he would respond to the offer rejection fully once he had fully considered Mr Haslam's statement.

He said: "Keith has not rejected our offer per se, he says he still wants clarification on certain points.

"But as it stands the differences look fairly terminal. We will try to work through it, though."

------------------

Haslam asks for more leeway over takeover decision deadline
CHAD.co.uk, by Tim Morriss, 29Nov2007, 11.55am
STAGS owner Keith Haslam has asked for a short extension to the noon deadline set by the Derry consortium bidding to buy Mansfield Town.
Last night the group of businessmen, which tabled a revised offer for the club 10 days ago, placed a noon deadline on a decision from the controversial owner.

But shortly after 11.30am Mr Haslam, who has been in discussions with his advisers all morning, contacted Mr Derry to ask for more time to consider the offer.

Mr Derry told Chad: "He has asked for a little more leeway. If it is for the good of the football club, then we are prepared to wait a little longer . . . but we are talking minutes not hours."

------------------

http://www.thisismansfieldtown.co.uk, 29Nov2007 morning
D-day in takeover saga at Field Mill
Derry told thisismansfieldtown.co.uk: "If we get no answer from Keith then I'm afraid we will have to pull out. It is now or never as far as we are concerned."
Derry told the Evening Post that the verbal offer has been confirmed in writing by way of e-mail and that Haslam's advisors are clear on the consortium's position. He also insisted he and proposed associate director John Thorpe have already personally guaranteed the sum needed to complete a buy-out. "We are not wavering from the offer made last week," he said.

For full story, visit thisismansfieldtown.co.uk
-------------

 

Latest | November 2007