{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2007

5th November 2007 14:44

Mansfield Town 5 - 0 Macclesfield Town
Brown 8, 19, 22, Arnold 21, M.Boulding 54.
Attendance: 2853 (272 from Macclesfield)

Some stats: Brown's hat-trick in the first 22 minutes was the earliest hat-trick ever in a game by a Stags player. The previous earliest hat-trick by a Stags player was 33 minutes by Dudley Roberts against Tranmere in February 1971. Iyseden Christie, Iffy Onuora and Lee Peacock have scored hat-tricks in a shorter period, but all were later in the game.
It was the first hat-trick of Brown's career.
Martin Gritton, who was in the Macc side today, was the last Stags player to score a hat-trick, which was also the last time the Stags scored 5 goals, against Torquay last season.

Martin Shaw


Svante Bernhard (Sweden Stag) adds: Today's 5-0 defeat at Field Mill was Macclesfield's third in their league history: Previous ones were 5-0 at Rochdale on April 21, 2007, and 5-0 at Northampton on January 21, 2006, both in League Two. Prior to these, Macclesfield'a highest league defeat was a 1-5 at Colchester in Division Three on March 14, 1998.


Highlights from Stagsworld commentary: here.


Vote for your man of the match on Chad website:

Observer report by Steve Hartshorn:

A blistering first half performance in which Simon Brown recorded the quickest hat-trick from the start of a game in Stags history gave Field Mill a feel good factor as previously impressive away from home, Macclesfield were demolished 5-0.

In a weekend where fireworks erupted it was a bright and colourful display by Billy Dearden's men coupled with the fact that The Stags gained another clean sheet, their third in a four game unbeaten spell which has yielded eight points from a possible twelve to move Mansfield to 20th place in League 2 it was a day to remember for all the right reason's.

Macclesfield who had only previously lost once on their travels all season were left reeling from a Mansfield performance which could not have done anything but impress the steadily increasing home support.

With Mullins suspended, Jelleyman came into the side in a right back birth, whilst the visitor's contained three ex-Stags players in Dimech, Murray and Gritton.

In a game, which could have proved tricky for Mansfield, it was important that they made a good start and so it proved when they went ahead after just seven minutes. Martin curled in a free kick that found Hamshaw on the edge of the six-yard box; his effort was well saved by Lee in the Macc goal, but up popped Simon Brown to head home from close range.

Stags could have gone 2-0 up on 17 minutes but Lee again proved the hero spreading himself well to deny Micky Boulding, who had beaten the offside trap to race clear of the visitor's defence.

60 seconds later though and it was 2-0. Bell let fly with a long range free kick that looked destined to end in disappointment but it took a wicked deflection off of former Stags defender, Luke Dimech and ended up bouncing off the crossbar. Lee tried desperately to push the ball away to safety but only succeeded in pushing the ball towards the prowling Brown who again finished from close range.

Stags were rampant at this point as the visitor's looked shell-shocked and unable to cope with a fervent Stags attack. With just 20 minutes on the clock Stags added a heart-thumping third that even had boss, Billy Dearden jumping from his dugout in celebration. Hamshaw curled in a delicious ball that Nathan Arnold neatly took two touches, one to control, the other to finish. Field Mill stood in appreciation at a marvellous Stags goal.

It seemed as if Mansfield were scoring with every attack, and just one minute after Arnold had scored the Stags 3rd, Brown added his 3rd and Stags' 4th. It was the quickest Stags hat trick from the start of a game in the Clubs history and it was a goal worthy of such note. Boulding flicked the ball onto Brown who was given far too much space out left and brilliantly lobbed the out-coming Keeper.

Field Mill was stunned. Earlier on in the season the home faithful had been treated to an outstanding 1st half performance against Stockport County, but this display bettered. Macclesfield were being brushed aside and it was not for the visitor's poor form but for the great way the home side were tearing at their defence with devastating effect.

Macclesfield were bound to have a bit of the game and so it proved on 26 minutes when Green let go of a shot that produced a smart save out of Muggleton.

Stags though were still peppering away at the Silkmen defence. Captain Jake Buxton next to challenge Lee's goalkeeping abilities when he latched onto a fine Hamshaw corner on 36 minutes.

On 42 minutes, the visitor's almost pulled a goal back, but again Muggleton was equal to the task, denying Green who had got the better of Baptiste and then was well placed to block Gritton on the follow up.

At 4-0 down there was nothing other than to go for it for Macclesfield in the 2nd half, but despite their more adventurous approach to the 2nd period, it was a day when it would just not happen for them. Tolley with their best effort, a curling shot from around the 20-yard mark.

On 54 minutes Stags got the goal that finally ended any real hope of the Silkmen getting back into the game. Arnold fed Micky Boulding who kept his nerve to poke the ball under the body of the diving Lee to record his ninth goal of the season.

There was a massive round of applause soon after when D'Laryea came on for the final 35 minutes of the game as replacement for Jelleyman, who had had a fine game at right back. Bell fitting in at right back and D'Laryea taking up his accustomed central midfield role.

Both sides went for each other's throats and it looked certain that the game would contain more goals. Muggleton being forced into action and Boulding twice going close to adding to Mansfield's five plundered gleeful goals.

Boulding was replaced by McAliskey with 16 minutes to go and received a standing ovation from the more than pleased Stags faithful.

On 78 minutes, Macclesfield wasted a glorious chance of gaining a consolation goal when Gritton was denied by Muggleton only for Evans to hit the top of the bar from just six yards out.

You could tell it wasn't to be Macc's day when late on in the game, McIntyre's free kick eluded everyone and bounced off Muggleton's chest and out for a corner.

The final whistle was greeted with well won cheers from Field Mill as the players left the field to a high rate of applause.

Tuesday Stags face the tricky trip to Hereford United before Cup fever grabs hold of Mansfield when Lewes arrive for FA Cup Round 1 next Saturday.

report from Macc official site:
The battle of the MTFC went the way of Mansfield Town after a disappointing display by the Silkmen from the first whistle to the last.
There was just one change for the Silkmen when the team was announced and that saw Jamie Tolley making his first appearance of the season, coming in for the suspended Terry Dunfield.
The game came to life with only six minutes on the clock when the home side took the lead, after Luke Dimech give a away a free kick. The ball was played into the area by Dan Martin and after it was not cleared fully found Matthew Hamshaw. The midfielder's shot was well saved by Tommy Lee but the ball bounced up and it was the Stags centre forward Simon Brown who reacted quickest to head the ball over a stranded Lee.
The Silkmen were shocked to be losing so early on and their usual passing game was missing, the home side's back line coming under little pressure. The Silkmen did however have the first corner of the game after good work down the right from Levi Reid and Carl Regan, the latter's cross blocked by the defender. But the resultant short corner came to nothing and was cleared by the home side.
Two minutes later the Silkmen had Lee to thank when poor defending let Michael Boulding in but the ball got stuck at his feet. He was able to get a shot away but Lee did well and the ball was cleared only Tolley to give away a needless free kick 30 yards from goal. The free kick was taken and looked to be going wide but got a deflection; wrong footing Lee who watched the ball hit the top of the bar. Lee got across the goal to collect the ball on the way down but he was only able to push the ball into the path Brown who had the simple task to head the ball over the line for his second goal of the game.
The home side added a third two minutes later when a pin point ball from Matthew Hamshaw on the right went over the top the Silkmen back four finding Nathan Arnold who calmly slotted home for 12 yards out. The Silkmen looked at six and sevens and it was no surprise when the home side added a fourth.
Before the Silkmen could get hold of the ball, full back Gareth Jelleymen was able to find Simon Brown who chipped the ball over the on rushing Lee and into an empty net for his 14 minute hat-trick.
With the game over as a contest the Silkmen struggled to make any impact having their first shot with half an hour gone, but Francis Green's shot was easy for Carl Muggleton in the Mansfield goal to deal with. Green had a another attempt a few minutes later but again failed to trouble Muggleton.
It could have been five before half time when a corner was played towards the back post finding unmarked Jake Buxton whose header was well saved on the line by Lee who was able to punch the ball clear.
The Silkmen had one last chance before half time when a ball from Kevin McIntyre found Green whose cheeky flick nearly beat Muggleton. The loose ball fell to Martin Gritton but he was not able to get any power in his shot that was saved by a grateful Stags' keeper.
Half time
The Silkmen made a half time substitute with Simon Wiles replacing Levi Reid
The early exchanges did little to suggest the away team were going to get back into the game and with fifty minutes on the clock the game was well and truly ended as a contest. After the ball was given away cheaply, some good work between Brown and Boulding saw the Stags' leading scorer slot the ball through the legs of a increasingly frustrated Lee in the Silkmen's goal.
Ian Brightwell made the last throw of his dice on hour mark with Dimech and Thomas being replaced by Evans and McNulty. The Silkmen changed the system moving to a 3-4-3. It had the desired effect, the resultant possession leading to a number of chances, but none that were to trouble the Stags' keeper to any degree.
The Silkmen kept pushing forward looking for a goal and almost had one when a good move, started by Tolley, found sub Wiles on the right. His first time cross found Green but his shot was well blocked and cleared away. Two minutes later a Gritton shot was well saved but the ball found unmarked Gareth Evans who from six yards out somehow hit the ball and over with a empty net waiting.
Despite the obvious disappointment the travelling band of Silkmen fans stayed to the very end and showed their appreciation in the best way possible

Mansfield 5 Macc 0
Simon Carter

MACCLESFIELD Town were humiliated by a team they had fully expected to beat after their faltering defence conceded five goals.

Worryingly for Ian Brighwell, it was lowly Mansfield who resurrected their season while the Silkmen staggered closer to the early season relegation zone.

Macc fell behind to a characteristic early goal when the defence failed to support Tommy Lee when his save from Matty Hamshaw fell to Simon Brown to head home.

The second was a comedy of errors as Luke Dimech deflected a speculative 25 yard shot from Lee Bell onto his own crossbar. Lee pushed the ball out but only into the path of Brown who buried from close range.

A minute later Macc were three down when Nathan Arnold beat a flat back four to slot home with glee.

Brown was given a similarly generous head start in the 21st minute as he completed his hat-trick.

Mansfield extended their lead yet further 10 minutes after the break when Arnold picked out Michael Boulding who finished with a smart shot through Lee's legs.

Macc's woes were compounded at the death when sun Gareth Evans hit the bar from only four yards out with the goal gaping.


CHAD report:
Mansfield Town 5 Macclesfield 0, Saturday 3rd November
by John Lomas
SIMON Brown grabbed the perfect hat-trick inside 14 first half minutes as rampant Mansfield ran up an unassailable 4-0 lead in the first 21 minutes.
It was a fourth game unbeaten for the revitalised Stags and a third successive clean sheet though there were plenty of hair-raising moments in the home box.

Indeed, it was the first time Macclesfield have failed to score away this season and only their second away League defeat.

Another bright note on the day was the return to action for long-term injury victim Jon D'Laryea as a second half substitute after seven months out.

With John Mullins serving a one game ban for his red card last weekend, Jelleyman was brought in to play right back.

A welcome sight on the bench was D'Laryea after over seven months out injured, while big striker McAliskey was also among the subs after recovering from a groin strain.

Macclesfield included three ex-Stags in Gritton, Dimech and Murray.

Mansfield kicked off attacking the South Stand and within 15 seconds Arnold pulled a low tame shot wide.

Jelleyman committed the game's first foul on three minutes when he caught Thomas late and was shown a yellow card.

But Stags were ahead on seven minutes after some poor defending by the visitors at a free kick.

Martin curled the kick in long from the left and it went through everyone to an unmarked Hamshaw six yards from goal.

Keeper Lee pulled off a superb block to keep out the Stags winger's low finish. But the ball bounced up towards Brown who saw Lee get his fingers to his headed follow-up but unable to prevent it finding the net.

A neat Macclesfield move saw Regan cross and Gritton get a header at goal which he believed took a deflection over and was angry to see a goal kick awarded.

It should have been 2-0 on 17 minutes when Brown's ball over the top fell nicely for Boulding with Macclesfield looking for offside. But keeper Lee spread his legs to make another superb stop.

But the second goal did arrive a minute later. Bell let fly with an ambitious low free kick from 35 yards which took a deflection en route and threatened to fly over Lee but hit the bar.

The keeper was off balance and tried to push the dropping ball out but only succeeded in gifting a close range finish for Brown.

Suddenly the floodgates opened and sloppy defending on 20 minutes allowed Hamshaw's through ball to send Arnold clear and slot home a perfect finish.

Amazingly a minute later Brown was celebrating a 14-minute hat-trick as Brown was allowed to go free down the left from Boulding's flick and superbly lob the stranded keeper.

It was the earliest in a game that a Mansfield player had ever notched a hat-trick.

Muggleton finally had some serious work to do on 26 minutes as Green fired a powerful effort in from 18 yards which the keeper parried diving to his right.

Hamshaw looked to have timed a through ball for Boulding to perfection but an offside flag was raised to thwart him grabbing a fifth.

Tolley was booked for bringing down Brown as the Stags continued to torment the Silkmen.

Skipper Buxton almost joined the scorers' list on 36 minutes but Lee reached high to save his on-target header from a Hamshaw corner.

Boulding was wide of the near post with a shot on the turn.

But the Silkmen almost pulled one back on 42 minutes as McIntyre's excellent through ball went past John-Baptiste to give Green sight of goal. However, Muggleton spread himself to block Green's finish and was well placed to Rob Gritton's follow-up.

Reid was wide of the near post after more Macclesfield pressure a minute later as they desperately looked for a way back in before the break.

In stoppage time Reid again got into a promising position but Martin stepped in with a great challenge to snuff out the danger.

Boulding cut inside on 51 minutes and tried to beat Lee at his near post but the keeper got there.

Macclesfield forced a corner through Murray's deflected shot and it reached Tolley who made space for a curling shot over the bar from 20 yards.

But Stags extended their lead on 54 minutes. Brown was chopped down from behind but the referee allowed advantage and Arnold threaded the ball through to Boulding who slipped finish through the keeper's legs for his ninth goal of the season.

The fifth goal also heralded the return of D'Laryea for the last 35 minutes as he came on for Jelleyman to big applause, Bell dropping to right back.

Macclesfield made a double change on the hour as Dimech and Thomas were withdraw, Evans and McNulty sent on.

There were chances at both ends as Lee saved a Boulding header from Hamshaw's cross and then Muggleton was behind McIntyre's low blast.

Boulding got another shot on target from a Dawson pass only to find Lee well placed.

Macclesfield continued to look for a consolation and Muggleton again had to make a save from a Green shot.

Boulding was given an ovation on 74 minutes as he made way for McAliskey.

Macclesfield spurned a golden chance to get on the scoresheet 12 minutes from time. Muggleton made an excellent stop to deny Gritton from close range. But he was left helpless on the ground as Evans had an empty net to aim at but somehow hit the top of the bar from six yards.

Edghill was cautioned for a foul on McAliskey on 79 minutes.

Murray blasted over from 25 yards as time ran out on the game.

Muggleton had more work to do and on 89 minutes a McIntyre free kick fizzed through everyone, hit the startled keeper and bounced wide.

He was also down to keep out another Gritton effort in stoppage time shortly after the big ex-Stags striker was booked for dissent.

Now Stags prepare for Tuesday night's tough test at Hereford.

STAGS: Muggleton , Jelleyman (D'Laryea 55), Bell, Hamshaw, Dawson, Brown (Holmes 83), M. Boulding (McAliskey 74), Buxton, John-Baptiste, Martin, Arnold. Subs not used: White, McAllister.

MACCLESFIELD: Lee 7, Edghill 5, Regan 6, Dimech 5 (McNulty 60 6), Green 7, Gritton 5, Tolley 6, Thomas 5 (Evans 60 5), Reid 6 (Wiles h/t 6), McIntyre 6, Murray 6. Subs not used; Hadfield, Brain.

REFEREE: Iain Williamson of Berkshire.



Latest | November 2007