{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2002

24th August 2002 19:34

A woeful display from the Stags saw them beaten 2-0 by local rivals Chesterfield at Field Mill.

Reports from BBC.co.uk, Nationwide.co.uk, CHAD website

Goals either side of half-time saw Chesterfield secure a victory in a tense local derby as the Nationwide League's top scorers Mansfield failed to find the net.
Steve Payne put the visitors ahead in the 39th minute with a well-struck free-kick after Mansfield debutant Mark Lever had been lucky to escape with a yellow card for hauling down Glyn Hurst as he broke free.
And Mansfield were left with a mountain to climb on 54 minutes when Hurst set up Gareth Davies to lash home his first goal for the Spireites.
Mansfield, who had scored nine goals in their first three games, did force two good saves from goalkeeper Carl Muggleton in the closing stages, though Hurst could have buried them when he put wide after going clear on 86 minutes.
Mansfield had the best of the early exchanges when they dominated possession, but Chesterfield grew in strength and Hurst put over from close range while Mark Innes had a shot deflected wide before the visitors made the breakthrough.
Spireites cruise to derby success
Chesterfield eased to a 2-0 derby win at local rivals Mansfield Town as the Spireites secured their second win of the campaign.
Goals by Steve Payne and Gareth Davies helped Dave Rushbury's side overcome a spirited Mansfield side who had made a promising start to the season following their promotion from Nationwide Division Three.
However, they were undone six minutes before the break when Payne blasted home a 20-yard free-kick after Mark Lever had fouled Glynn Hurst.
The Stags tried their best to get back into the match in the opening minutes of the second period but they fell two goals behind in the 54th minute when Davies fired home from just inside the penalty area.
Colin Larkin, Iyseden Christie and Neil Moore all went close for Mansfield in the closing stages but Chesterfield hung on to secure the three points in front of a bumper derby crowd of over 7,000.
CHAD website
Stags' boss says sorry for derby defeat
DEJECTED Mansfield boss Stuart Watkiss apologised to the fans at the final whistle after the Stags lost their bitter local derby with Chesterfield 2-0 at Field Mill today.
He said: "A lot of local pride was at stake today, but we came up short. We have let down a lot of people, especially the fans.
"It is not nice to admit, but Chesterfield deserved to win. They did the simple things better than us. We didn't hurt them when we had the ball and lacked imagination. This is 'Welcome to life in the Second Division'".
It is now eight years since the Stags defeated their arch rivals and the much sought after victory never looked likely to come in the early morning kick-off at Field Mill.
The Stags dominated early on, but were restricted to long range efforts Scott Sellars' free kick landing on the roof of the net and Andy White's cross shot sending Carl Muggleton back peddaling across his goalmouth.
But Mansfield never tested the keeper until the final 10 minutes. Wayne Corden's low drive well blocked by the Muggleton who then dived full length to keep out substitute Iyseden Christie's looping header.
But by then it was too little too late from the Stags as an attacking force.
Chesterfield grabbed the vital opening goal in the 39th minute. Mansfield's debutant defender Mark Lever was lucky not to be red carded for hauling back Glyn Hurst, but justice was done from the resulting free kick when Steve Payne hammered a low drive into the bottom corner.
Then in the 54th minute, just after Colin Larkin had almost levelled with yet another long range shot, the Spireites doubled their lead, unmarked teenager Gareth Davies sweeping in Hurst's lay-off.
In fact, it could have been worse for the Stags as striker Hurst squandered the chance to grab a hat-trick for himself, twice missing the target and also being denied by a superb flying save from Pilkington.
More bad news for manager Watkiss came when his already depleted defensive ranks were further reduced by an injury to David Jervis, who limped off with 10 minutes remaining.
Match Statistics (Mansfield / Chesterfield)
18 Goal Attempts 10
6 On target 8
12 Off target 2
0 Woodwork 0
7 Corners 5
10 Fouls 12
2 Offside 2


Latest | August 2002