{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2007

16th September 2007 12:57

Mansfield Town 1 - 3 Chesterfield
Dawson 9. Buxton sent off 73. Robertson 2, Lowry 45, Lester 90+3.
Att approx 5000 (to be confirmed) (not 4514 as announced) (approx 1900 from Chesterfield)

Chesterfield won the big local derby at Field Mill on Saturday lunchtime. Chesterfield were the better side in the first half and deserved to be ahead at half time, but the Stags were much better in the second half and the whole game turned on a decision by referee Kevin Friend not to send off keeper Barry Roche when Michael Boulding went around him and was brought down as he was about to fire into an empty net. The Spireites had no reserve keeper on the bench. The Stags were unable to score despite long periods of being on top in the second half, and Jack Lester scored an undeserved third in stoppage time.

report from spirezine.co.uk
Spireites Cruise Past Lowly Stags
By Craig Heeley
Date: 16/9/2007

Despite an average performance Chesterfield cruised past local rivals Mansfield Town on Saturday winning 3-1 at Field Mill. As ever Chesterfield supporters made up nearly half the crowd at Field Mill as Gregor Robertson, Jamie Lowry and Jack Lester scored to keep the Spireites in second place.
Mansfield Town 1
Chesterfield 3

Saturday saw Chesterfield travel to fierce rivals Mansfield Town for the first meeting between the two sides since 2003. The Spireites were in hot form on the back of three consecutive victories, and took a crowd of 1,900 to Field Mill. It seems there was some kind of confusion with the allocation, as the Chesterfield fans easily filled the North Stand, and then had to be moved into the Bishop Street stand due to a lack of seats. A dismal attendance of just over 4,500 meant almost half the crowd were Spireites.

Lee Richardson made one change from the side that beat Bury 3-1 last weekend, bringing back the now fully fit Jamie Winter to replace young Ben Algar. Aaron Downes and Adam Rooney were both back from International duty, and they began the game on the substitute's bench. The Chesterfield supporters were vocal from well before the kick-off, but a minutes silence for the two soldiers killed in Afghanistan was impeccably observed by both sets of supporters prior to the game kicking off.

Chesterfield kicked off the game towards the Quarry Lane end of the ground which was populated by a couple of hundred Mansfield Town supporters and within a minute of the game starting had won a corner kick. The kick was swung in by Gregor Robertson, who need no assistance as the ball swerved into the back of the net past the helpless ex-Spireite Carl Muggleton to send the visiting supporters wild.

The home side fought back well after the set back and McAllister had the ball into the back of the net for the Stags on six minutes, but it was adjudged to have been offside by the referees assistant. On eight minutes the Stags won a corner that was swung in by Matthew Hamshaw, Stephen Dawson hit a fine shot which was tipped around the corner by Barry Roche. However, from the resulting corner on nine minutes a fine volley twenty yards out from Stephen Dawson went into the top corner of the Spireites goal, as Mansfield Town scored their first goal at Field Mill against Chesterfield since 1995.

The Stags became much more positive following that goal and began to dominate the game for a short period of time, but on seventeen minutes Jack Lester had a shot from the edge of the area and it was deflected wide for a corner. Peter Leven took the resulting corner and the ball fell to Derek Niven who headed just wide of the mark. On nineteen minutes Jack Lester broke free, but his shot was well saved by Carl Muggleton. On twenty-one minutes a good cross from Jamie Lowry was met by Jack Lester, but he put his shot wide.

On twenty-nine minutes Gregor Robertson gave away a corner, but it came to nothing. On thirty-four minutes Jack Lester broke once again but he was fouled by Stags captain Jake Buxton who was subsequently booked. Jamie Winter took the resulting free-kick playing the ball to Kevin Gray who headed the ball across the box but no-one was there to meet it. Jamie Lowry went into the book on forty minutes after he fouled Stephen Dawson, and a minute later McAllister followed him into the book after a foul on Derek Niven.

The Spireites were starting to really build up the pressure as the first half came to a close and on forty-four minutes Jack Lester got a hold of the ball but his effort was well blocked by Stags' defender Martin McIntosh. Two minutes into first half stoppage time the Chesterfield pressure finally paid off; Gregor Robertson crossed to Steve Fletcher who headed the ball onto the cross bar, Carl Muggleton made a mess of grabbing the ball and Jamie Lowry was there to tap the ball home from six yards out. The half-time whistle blew and Chesterfield were 2-1 up.

Half Time: Mansfield Town 1 - 2 Chesterfield

Neither manager made any substitutes at half-time, but Stags boss Billy Dearden gave his side a more attacking formation for the second half. On forty-eight minutes Chesterfield went straight onto the attack and Peter Leven struck a good long range effort that struck the cross bar. On forty-nine minutes it was the Stags on the attack as Barry Roche did well to deny Michael Boulding. On fifty-one minutes the home side went close again as Martin McIntosh headed wide from close range.

There was controversy on sixty minutes as Barry Roche flew out of his goal, taking out Michael Boulding, but the referee only gave the Spireites' goalkeeper a booking. The resulting free-kick was taken by Michael Boulding, but very well saved by Barry Roche. A minute later the Stags won another free-kick on the edge of the area, but Martin McIntosh's effort was well saved again by Barry Roche. With sixty-three minutes on the clock Lee Richardson made a double substitution bringing on Adam Rooney for Jamie Lowry, and Aaron Downes for Kevin Gray.

On sixty-four minutes Peter Leven played a good ball to Steve Fletcher, but Carl Muggleton read the situation well and cleared the danger. On sixty-seven minutes Billy Dearden made his first change for Mansfield Town bringing off McAllister and replacing him with Danny Sleath. On sixty-eight minutes Jack Lester broke and thought he had scored Chesterfield's third goal, but it was disallowed as Adam Rooney had been caught offside. On seventy-one minutes Jamie Winter went into the book after bringing down Stephen Dawson and on seventy-three minutes a cynical challenge from Mansfield Town captain Jake Buxton on Adam Rooney saw the Stags man sent off.

On eighty minutes the ten men went close to pulling level; Matthew Hamshaw crossed for John McAliskey who headed just wide. On eighty-one minutes John McAliskey was took off by Billy Dearden and replaced by Ian Holmes. Two minutes later Lee Richardson made his final change of the afternoon bringing on Alan O'Hare for Peter Leven.

Three minutes into second half stoppage time Jack Lester suddenly realised he hadn't got his customary goal; he picked up the ball rounded Carl Muggleton and poked the ball home comfortably to send the Chesterfield supporters crazy, and send the sorry Stags home crying (again).

Full Time: Mansfield Town 1 - 3 Chesterfield

Chesterfield won at Field Mill easily, and without even playing to anywhere near our best standard. A word must be said for the attendance at Field Mill, which was disappointing to say the least in terms of home supporters; just 4,513 saw the game with 1,900 of these from Chesterfield. Quite where the Mansfield Town fans were remains a mystery. Of course they will continue to blame Mr. Haslam, but at the end of the day it seems they just have very poor support. Chesterfield are now second in League Two with fourteen points and an impressive goal difference of plus seven. Our lowly neighbours on the other hand continue their slide towards the relegation zone and non-league oblivion. Next up for Chesterfield is a home game against north London side Barnet.

Mansfield Town 1 Chesterfield 3, Saturday 15th September, 2007
By John Lomas
THE first local derby in five years went the way of unbeaten Chesterfield to send them top of the table at Field Mill this afternoon.

Stags could feel hard done to by several decisions by referee Kevin Friend, most notably when he only showed visiting keeper Barry Roche a yellow card after leaving his box to bring down Michael Boulding as he tried to round him.

But it was giving away poor goals that once again proved most costly for a Stags side that at least made a decent fight of it in the second half, even without skipper Jake Buxton who was sent off for his second yellow card on 74 minutes.

Indeed, Mr Friend showed eight yellows and we had all manner of entertainment with two disallowed goals, the woodwork twice struck, a goal line clearance and the cards controversies.

Unforgivably, Stags allowed Gregor Robertson's third minute corner to go straight in.

But John McAliskey had a goal disallowed and then a rocket volley from Stephen Dawson had them level - all in a pulsating first eight minutes.

However the Spireites grabbed a second in first half stoppage time through Jamie Lowry and hit man Jack Lester made it six goals in six games at the death to seal it.

Stags were unchanged for the big game.

The afternoon began in moving fashion The Last Post played on a bugle by Thoresby band member Keith Buxton to make the deaths of local soldiers Damian Wright and Ben Ford in Afghanistan.

Home keeper Muggleton calmly dribbled the ball round the incoming Lowry in the opening seconds to huge cheers from the home supporters.

But he was picking the ball out of the back of his net within 130 seconds of the start.

Chesterfield won a right wing corner which Robertson sent in in swinging low and it curled in and found the net inside the near post.

Stags were almost level in the fifth minute as Hamshaw put over a tempting cross which McAliskey headed home.

However, for the second successive game he was denied by an offside flag.

A Dawson shot was headed wide for Stags' first corner on eight minutes which was cleared back as far as Dawson who saw a much better blast turned aside superbly by Roche.

Amazingly, from the resulting corner the ball was again cleared to Dawson 20 yards from goal and this time he unleashed a peach of a volley which crashed high into the top right hand corner and gave Roche no chance.

Ridiculously the delighted Dawson was booked for over-celebrating, even though it was in front of the home fans.

By now the weight of away fans in the North Stand saw an overspill of them allowed onto the Bishop Street terracing.

Niven was high and wide with a header from the Spireites' second corner.

Lester almost latched onto a low through ball in the box but Muggleton timed his challenge to perfection and took the ball off his toes. The keeper was injured in the process and needed treatment.

On 21 minutes neat work from Niven saw him lay the ball off to Lowry who crossed first time to the far post where Lester outjumped Buxton but failed to keep his header down.

Hamshaw's ball sent Boulding into the box but, having sidestepped one defender he tried to square the ball for McAllister instead of shooting and it was cleared.

Mullins needed treatment after taking an arm in the face from Fletcher.

McIntosh did enough to halt Lester in the box and Lowry crashed the loose ball over the bar with a screaming shot.

On 37 minutes Buxton was booked for bringing down Lester.

Winter floated the free kick to the far post and former Stags defender Gray got up to head right across the face of goal.

Lowry was booked for a late tackle on Dawson and McAllister also saw yellow for a foul on Niven.

Roche did well to get in the way of Boulding as he found himself with the ball at his feet in the box and his half-hearted lobbed attempt hit the keeper.

Mansfield had a double let off on 44 minutes as McIntosh got a good block on Lester's finish and after a frantic scramble Fletcher sent a header onto the crossbar.

But the visitors were back ahead in stoppage time. Leven crashed the ball in low from the right of the box, Fletcher's touch saw the ball hit the foot of the right post with Muggleton wrong-footed and Lowry reacted quickest to ram the loose ball home.

The Spireites almost extended their lead within two minutes of the restart as a poor Jelleyman clearance found Leven 20 yards from goal and his dipping shot hit the top of the crossbar.

Boulding really should have levelled matters on 51 minutes when Dawson's flick sent him clear down the centre. But, as at Peterborough last weekend, he failed to win the one-on-one battle with the keeper as Roche saved with his feet.

Five minutes later a Hamshaw free kick found McIntosh unmarked but he sent a free header wide from 12 yards.

Stags were now starting to get the ball down and play some football and the home crowd were starting to get behind them.

The game exploded on 58 minutes as Boulding again went clear and this time Roche left his area to bring him down.

A red card seemed inevitable but only yellow was shown.

And when McIntosh curled a decent free kick on target, Roche was still there to fist it away, diving to his right.

Soon after McIntosh curled another free kick at goal from almost 30 yards only to find Roche comfortably placed.

Muggleton went to gather a high cross from the left and had his hands on it as Lester clattered into him to send the ball rolling over the line with a free kick awarded. But the visitors were on the back foot and on 63 minutes Chesterfield made a double switch to try to regain their grip, Gray and Lowry withdrawn for Rooney and Downes.

McAllister tried a dipping shot from 20 yards which beat Roche's fingertips and dropped into the side netting with some fans out their seats believing it had gone in.

Chesterfield thought they had grabbed a killer third on 68 minutes as Lester raced away on a through ball and finished with a perfect curling finish only to be denied by an offside flag.

Winter became the sixth yellow card of the afternoon for his foul on Dawson. But Hamshaw's free kick hit the wall and McAliskey's follow-up was well over.

With so many yellows it seemed inevitable a red would appear sometime and it came on 74 minutes for home skipper Buxton.

He brought down Rooney and the second yellow and red were immediately shown.

McAliskey and Kovacs needed treatment after a clash of heads.

Back on the field McAliskey's glancing header from Hamshaw's cross dropped onto the top of the net with 10 minutes left.

Holmes came on for McAliskey for the last eight minutes.

Mullins cut in from the right but was wide with his shot.

With Stags pushing forward they were hit on the counter as Muggleton found himself with two opponents running at him.

Rooney went for the chip but it was poor and straight to the grateful keeper.

Boulding had a chance to level it on 87 minutes as Hamshaw's flick put the ball in front of him three yard from goal only to scuff his attempt.

A minute later Muggleton could not hold a cross under pressure and Kovacs slotted the ball past him only to see Mullins kick it off the line.

Stags piled on the pressure in the four minutes of stoppage time and Sleath elected not to shoot first time when he had the chance and then lost the ball while Boulding prodded a low shot just wide.

But Stags were caught out at the death as the outstanding Lester waltzed clear but neither McIntosh not Mullins able to cut it out and he finished in style.

The final whistle brought chants of 'Haslam Out' and angry scenes around the directors' box to end an afternoon of high disappointment for everyone concerned with Mansfield Town.

STAGS: Muggleton, Mullins, Jelleyman, McIntosh, Hamshaw, Dawson, McAliskey (Holmes 82), M. Boulding, Buxton, Bullock, McAllister (Sleath 67). Subs not used: White, Martin, Wood.

CHESTERFIELD: Roche, Picken, Robertson, Kovacs, Gray (Downes 63), Lowry (Rooney 63), Winter, Niven, Leven (O'Hare 84), Fletcher, Lester. Subs not used: Algar, Jackson.

REFEREE: Kevin Friend of Leicestershire.


Latest | September 2007