{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2007

2nd September 2007 10:44

Mansfield Town 4 - 2 Stockport County
McAliskey 3, McIntosh 9, Buxton 25, Boulding pen 32. Boulding missed pen 30. Bell sent off 75. Proudlock 35, 42.
Attendance: 2747 (816 from Stockport)
Audio highlights from Stagsworld commentary: here. Commentary by Nigel Pinnick and Steve Hartshorn.
Photo slideshow from CHAD website here:
report from CountyMatters.co.uk
County hammering away from home
By Dave Philbin
County concede four in the first half in 6 goal thriller away at Field Mill. Mansfield finish with 10 men on the pitch after Lee Bell hacks Griffin down.

Jim Gannon named a starting eleven which somewhat surprised the County fans a bit. After impressing the County fans in his opening five games for the club, Gary Dicker was dropped to the bench. Former loanee Dominic Blizzard, who was signed permanently before the start of the season had made the starting line up. Matty McNeil and Adam Proudlock started upfront, with Elding starting the match again in left midfield. Dominic Blizzard were playing in central midfield, with Anthony Pilkington started for the first time in the league this season on the right hand side. Paul Tierney, Gareth Owen and Ashley Williams all started, as normal in defence, while Keith Briggs started for the first time this season at right back.

County started the game at Field Mill well, with a good shot on target from Jason Taylor, who forced a save from former County loanee Carl Muggleton. However, from the resulting corner, Mansfield broke away with Matty Hamshaw, who is disliked by the County fans. Hamshaw crossed the ball in from the right hand side, and Keith Briggs failed to win a routine header at the back post. He was beaten to the ball by Mansfield debutant Lee Bullock, who headed the ball to the feet of John McAliskey, who from six yards out couldn't miss.

Five minutes later, former County captain Matty Hamshaw was fouled on the edge of the area by Paul Tierney. Another former County player, Martin McInstosh, struck the free kick into the top right hand corner, leaving County favourite Conrad Logan stranded.

It was 2-0 before County had even started playing to half of their potential, and Michael Boulding played a clever back heel through to John Mullins who volleyed from close range, but was off target in the end.

County were starting to settle down, and starting to play the football we know they can play. However, on 25 minutes Mansfield were awarded a corner, which Matty Hamshaw crossed in. McAliskey nodded the ball back across goal, to find an unmarked Jake Buxton, who slotted the ball home to make it 3-0 to The Stags.

Stephen Dawson was played one on one by Matty Hamshaw, and he tried to take it past Conrad Logan. From where the County fans were sitting, we could see Logan dive down and make contact with the ball. However, the referee had other ideas and pointed to the spot straight away, to the dismay of the travelling supporters. Logan was booked for his troubles. Michael Boulding stepped up to take the spot kick, an played it to Logan's left. Logan dived to his left, and produced a brilliant save.

Jason Taylor tripped up Mullins inside the area, and again the referee pointed to the spot. Michael Boulding stepped up to take the penalty again, but changed his mind and went to Logan's right. Logan stayed with his original decision and dived to his left. The Stags were then 4-0 up, and it looked like it was going to be a high scoring game.. for Mansfield.

After scoring the fourth goal, Mansfield started to relax in midfield, and Pilikington played Proudlock through who scored to give County what seemed to be a consolation goal.

After just 35 minutes, following County's first goal, Jim Gannon made a double substitution. Matty McNeil and Jason Taylor made way for Gary Dicker and Adam Griffin. 7 minutes after the changes, Pilkington went on a superb run down the right wing and crossed to Elding, who flicked the ball onto Adam Proudlock to score his second of the match.

The half time score was 4-2, and the County fans remained optimistic that they could get something from the game. Some were talking about the similarities from the home game against Rochdale last season, same half time scorline, the 'keeper giving away a penalty... and the referee.

County came back out after half time to kick off, and there was a new buzz about the team. Paul Tierney took a free kick 20 yards from goal, and swerved it past the wall and Muggelton. However, the Mansfield right back cleared off the line, but County were playing great football.

Some more promising football from County continued, as Pilkington rose at the far post to nod the ball to Elding, who headed onto the roof of the net.

After 75 minutes, and County dominating the game, Lee Bell hacked Adam Griffin down just inside the Mansfield half. The referee branded the challenge as a wreckless challenge and brought out his red card.

County were producing chances by the minute, and in the 87th minute a great cross from Pilkington from the near post found Elding, who shot over the bar from what must have been 3 yards. This proves that it just wasn't County's day.

Again, Man of the Match was a hard one today. But with 2 goals, it would take a strange man to award man of the match to none other than Adam Proudlock. He was all over the park today, clear man of the match.

Attendence: 2,747
report from Manchester Evening News:
Mansfield 4 Stockport 2
1/ 9/2007
STOCKPORT County's unbeaten league run came to an end after they conceded four first-half goals at Field Mill.

John McAliskey opened the scoring for the Stags with a left-foot volley in the 3rd minute.

Five minutes later former County defender Martin McIntosh made it two with a 25-yard free kick.

Jake Buxton scored from close range scored from close range in the 25th minute and then Mansfield won a penalty when keeper Conrad Logan brought down Stephen Dawson.

Logan made a terrific save from Stephen Boulding, but the home side won another penalty just two minutes later after Jason Taylor fouled Johnny Mullins and Boulding made up for his earlier miss.

Adam Proudlock gave County some hope with two goals before the break, first beating Carl Muggleton at his near post then finishing off Anthony Elding's flick.

But County couldn't further reduce arrears in the second-half despite Mansfield losing Lee Bell to a straight red card for a foul on Stockport sub Adam Griffin 15 minutes from time.

The nearest Jim Gannon's side came to making inroads was when Anthony Elding failed to convert Anthony Pilkington's flick, one of a number of late chances for Jim Gannon's side
Mansfield Town 4 Stockport County 2, Saturday, 1st September 2007
By John Lomas
GUTSY Mansfield Town celebrated their first win of the new season in style with this thrilling victory over a Stockport side that arrived here unbeaten in the League this afternoon.
A fantastic four-goal first half burst put the Stags firmly in the driving seat, they even missed a penalty kick, but County roared back with two goals before the end of a breathtaking six-goal first half.

But, with Martin McIntosh off with an eye injury, we saw a different Stags after the break as they dug in and battled hard - a task made even more difficult after Lee Bell was red-carded 15 minutes from time.

Different formations and players moving from position to position saw the whole side dig deep and finally chalk up a win.
Stags gave a debut to new signing Bullock in midfield, replacing Danny Sleath, and, despite his lack of match fitness, he made a telling contribution.

The other new boy, Holmes, had to be content with a place on the bench.

After last week's costly errors at Morecambe, keeper White was replaced by Muggleton.

Stockport almost swept into the lead within 40 seconds as Taylor's low 20 yard shot took a slight deflection and forced Muggleton full length to his left to turn the ball away with his fingertips.
Stags responded in the perfect way with a third minute goal.

Former Stockport winger Hamshaw, being booed by the away fans behind the goal, curled in a far post cross which Bullock nodded across to an unmarked McAliskey who crashed home a volley from seven yards past a helpless Logan.


A long Logan clearance was headed on target by McNeil but without any real power.

But it was 2-0 to Mansfield on nine minutes. Hamshaw was brought down 25 yards from goal and McIntosh stepped up to curl in the perfect free kick with Logan rooted and helpless.

Dawson was booked for a foul and when Stags struggled to clear the free kick, Taylor flashed a first time shot wide from 18 yards.

Dawson's chip forward almost got Boulding away, Logan quickly smothering the ball at his feet.

Muggleton clawed away a Pilkington corner that threatened to curl in - the first of three successive corners for the visitors.

Another followed soon after, but Stags again cleared their lines.

Mansfield came so close to a third on 19 minutes as a neat move saw Boulding cleverly backheel the ball into Mullins' path and he sent a first time effort just wide of the far post.

Elding had a sniff of a chance as the ball bounced in the box, but Muggleton kept his eye on it and caught in at full stretch above the Stockport striker's head.

A 30 yard effort from McAliskey was deflected for the first of two corners for Mansfield.


And from the second of those it was 3-0 and Stags were in heaven.

Hamshaw curled the ball in, McIntosh headed it down and Buxton swept the ball home first time from 10 yards.

Within two minutes Pilkington lashed a 25 yard effort inches over the far angle for the desperate visitors.

On the half hour Boulding's pass sent Dawson into the box and he was brought down by Logan as he rounded the keeper.

Logan was lucky to escape with a booking but dived full length to his left to superbly turn aside Boulding's penalty kick.

However, within a minute Taylor brought down Mullins to concede another spot kick. This time Boulding crashed the ball home to record his fourth goal in as many League games.

Cockahoop Stags were immediately stung by a Stockport reply on 35 minutes, Proudlock wriggling his way into the right hand side of the box and beating Muggleton on his near post.

County immediately made a double swap, Taylor and McNeil replaced by Dicker and Griffin.

Bullock marked his debut with a yellow card on 39 minutes for a late tackle on Briggs.

McIntosh took a blow to the head which required treatment and Stags continued with 10 men as he went down the tunnel.

And Stockport took advantage as they pulled back another goal on 41 minutes. Pilkington crossed in low from the right,

Elding flicked it on and Proudlock made no mistake with his right foot from six yards.

McIntosh did not come back out for the second half so Martin came on into midfield, Mullins going centre half and Bell to

right back.

Buxton was the hero on 48 minutes after Jelleyman handled in a dangerous position just outside the box.

Tierney curled it past Muggleton but Buxton was there to head off the goal line.

Seconds later Dicker got a header on target from a corner but Muggleton was there to make the save.

Mansfield survived a frantic spell of Stockport pressure and forced a couple of their own.

Blizzard was well over with a first time chance as Stags defended frantically with Elding down asking for a penalty.

Hamshaw almost carved a killer fifth out of nothing when he picked up the ball on the halfway line and embarked on a breathtaking run past four opponents and finally flicked the ball inside to set up Dawson right in front of goal, Logan doing well to block from close range.

But Stags were dealt a blow on 75 minutes when Bell jumped into a tackle with his studs showing and was immediately red-carded.

That left a very nervous last quarter of an hour ahead.

McAliskey was withdrawn and new signing Holmes sent on into midfield.

Elding headed onto the roof of the net with Stags' defence at sixes and sevens. And two minutes later he somehow hooked over from six yards with Muggleton at his mercy.

There were a couple more late scrambles and Muggleton saved well from Adam Griffin, but Stags' defence stood up tall and preserved the victory.

STAGS: Muggleton, Mullins, Jelleyman, McIntosh (Martin HT) , Bell, Hamshaw, Dawson, McAliskey (Holmes 77), M. Boulding, Buxton, Bullock. Subs not used: White, Arnold, R. Boulding.

STOCKPORT: Logan, Taylor (Griffin 36), Owen, Williams, Elding, McNeil (Dicker 36), Briggs (Tansley 82), Pilkington, Tierney, Blizzard, Proudlock. Subs not used: Adamson, Bowler.

ATTENDANCE: 2,747 (816)

REF: Danny McDermid of London.
REPORT FROM stockportcounty.co.uk
Jim Gannon made two changes from the side that performed heroically at Charlton on Tuesday night.

Fit again Keith Briggs replaced Michael Bowler at right back with Anthony Pilkington, outstanding at the Valley, coming in for Gary Dicker.

The Stags recalled former County loanee Carl Muggleton in goal to take over from Jason White after a series of indifferent performances.

Matty Hamshaw and Martin McIntosh also started for the home side.

County, wearing their new all white strip, almost too a first-minute lead when Jason Taylor's low drive brought an awkward save from Muggleton who tipped the ball round the post.

It was the home side who took a shock lead two minutes later when Hamshaw crossed from the right. Lee Bullock climbed above Briggs to nod the ball down to John McAliskey who beat Conrad Logan with a crisp left-foot volley.

Five minutes later the Stags doubled their lead. Paul Tierney tripped Hamshaw and McIntosh fired in a brilliant 25-yard free kick.

Taylor had a chance to reduce the arrears on 10 minutes but blazed wide from the edge of the box.

County were all out of sorts at the back and a clever back heel from Michael Boulding released John Mullins who was just off target with a dipping volley.

A third goal was not far away, though. On 25 minutes Hamshaw's corner was knocked back by McAliskey and Jake Buxton scored from close range.

The Stags then won a penalty when the exposed Logan brought down Stephen Dawson. The keeper received a yellow cared and then produced a brilliant save from Boulding's spot kick.

Incredibly Town won another penalty just two minutes later. Taylor upended Mullins and this time Boulding made no mistake.

Adam Proudlock then gave County a lifeline when he burst clear and beat Muggleton at his near post.

Then, on 35 minutes, Gannon made a double substitution. Adam Griffin and Gary Dicker replaced Matty McNeil and Taylor respectively.

Six minutes later the Hatters pulled another goal back. Pilkington raced clear down the right and crossed the ball back to Elding whose near-post flick was converted by Proudlock.

Half time: Mansfield 4 County 2

The Hatters, attacking the Blue & White Army, started the second half positively. They won an early free kick that Paul Tierney smashed past the wall but made a brilliant headed clearance off the line.

Muggleton then made diving save from Dicker's header.

County had a good shout for a penalty turned down after Elding went down in the box. Griffin retrieved the ball and crossed to Blizzard who shot wide.

The Hatters continued to press and Pilkington rose at the far post to knock Dicker's cross back to Elding. The big striker saw his looping header drop onto the top of the net.

The Stags were reduced to ten men fifteen minutes from time when Lee Bell received a straight red for a challenge on Griffin.

Minutes later Elding shot over from inside the six-yard box after Tierney and Pilkington had set up the guilt-edged opportunity.

Hamshaw then had the home fans off their seats with a trademark 50-yard run that ended with a cute pass to Stephen Dawson. Logan was quickly off the line, though, to make a fine save.

Griffin twice went close as County continued to carve out chances. In between only Elding will know how he failed to convert Pilkington's flick. Last season's leading scorer covered his head with his shirt.

Elding again, Greg Tansey and Griffin all had further chances but County's Field Mill bogey struck again.


Latest | September 2007