{ the news }
 
Stagsnet wishes you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Archived News from July 2007

CAPACITY HOPES BOOSTED
10th July 2007 21:29


Stags' capacity hopes boosted
CHAD website, 10 July 2007
By John Lomas
Mansfield Town's hopes of their capacity cut being lifted were raised by another meeting with the county Safety Advisory Group this afternoon(Tuesday).
The Field Mill capacity was cut by half to less than 5,000 after stewarding problems last season.

But SAG officials, at the ground for the club's annual safety certificate asessment, have been impressed with Stags' new safety officer, ex-police chief Les Norman, and have now promised to review the situation after Mansfield's first home friendly with Leicester City on 20th July.

The safety certificate was confirmed and Stags chairman James Derry said: "The meeting went well. They are impressed with the systems that have been put in place but now want to see them in action.

"Hopefully we can get the capacity back up which is important with games against Derby County and Lincoln City coming up."

Sue Storey, Notts County Council emergency planning manager, said: "We are all encouraged by the positive steps Mansfield Town Football Club have taken to improve the safety culture at the ground.

"We see a much more pro-active management approach to safety issues and we look forward to this continuing into the future.

"We will reassess the ground's overall capacity, which is currently reduced to 4,684, at the end of the first friendly match against Leicester City on 20th July.

"We will continue to monitor the situation throughout the coming season."

There had been a suggestion that Stags may not even be able to start the season with a capacity below 5,000 but Mr Derry said: "I spoke to the Football League and they are very sympathetic with our situation. They don't think there will be an issue with that."

 

Latest | July 2007