FIELD MILL CAPACITY HALVED
Radio Nottingham, 6pm, 02May2007, click here
Stags' ground capacity is halved
Concerns over spectators' safety has led to the crowd capacity at Mansfield Town's Field Mill ground being cut by half for next season.
Nottinghamshire County Council took the decision which means the maximum number of fans at matches there will be 4,684.
The council said the cut was due to a poor standard of stewarding and a lack of a pro-active approach to safety.
A number of fans ran onto the pitch after the Stags' final home game when they beat Barnet to avoid relegation.
Some supporters complained to the club about "heavy-handed stewarding" after they were allegedly manhandled.
The county council is responsible for setting the ground capacity.
Sue Storey from the authority's emergency planning team said: "We've had concerns for some time.
"We've been giving the club the opportunity to develop stewarding and they introduced a new training regime for stewards at the start of the season.
"Unfortunately what we saw on Saturday was not really a demonstration of good-quality stewarding."
She said the council would monitor the club's performance over a number of matches next season.
"This reduction affects all ends, so the stand which takes the away supporters will also have a 50% reduction. That will bring it down to about 955 which will have an effect for some of the local clubs who may want to visit."
The average crowd for the club's League Two games this season has been 3,176.
The biggest crowds were 6,646 for the Carling Cup tie against Portsmouth, 6,182 for the local derby against Notts County and 4,837 for Doncaster in the FA Cup.
CHAD website, 02May2007
Stags chairman James Derry said: "I am disappointed the council went ahead with this without even having a conversation with us.
"I was not even aware of it until I had phone calls from the press as I am down in London today.
"I think it is a bit premature as there are no more home matches this season and we have already stated we are holding an internal inquiry tomorrow (Thursday) after which we will be making a statement.
"If people have acted improperly then they won't be at the club any more. We are taking this very seriously."
Mansfield 103.2 News, midday 02May2007, click here
FIELD MILL CAPACITY CUT
Evening Post, 02May2007
The capacity of Mansfield Town Football Club's Field Mill ground has been halved amid concerns over safety standards.
Nottinghamshire County Council said a perceived poor standard of stewarding, weak safety management throughout all levels of the club and a lack of proactive approach to safety issues had been key factors in their decision.
The ground capacity will be reduced from 9,368 to 4,684 with immediate effect.
A County Council spokeswoman said: "The County Council has a duty to issue a General Safety Certificate for designated sports grounds, which includes setting the number of spectators allowed into the ground. Before yesterday's decision, Mansfield Town FC was permitted to allow 90% of its possible capacity crowd into the ground.
"The County Council has taken the action following advice from the Safety Advisory Group, which is made up of representatives from the County Council, Nottinghamshire Police, Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, East Midlands Ambulance Service, Mansfield District Council and other organisations. Its role is to advise the County Council directly on safety issues."
Sue Storey, from the County Council's emergency planning team, chairs the Safety Advisory Group: "Our ultimate concern is the safety of people who go to Mansfield Town to enjoy a football match. We have concerns about the quality of stewarding and general safety management and are therefore using our legislative powers to impose this reduction. We will continue to work with the club to develop a safety culture and will monitor progress during next season."
The County Council, along with members of the Safety Advisory Group, will continue to monitor safety at the ground and review capacity. No-one from Mansfield Town was available for comment.
Field Mill capacity slashed by half over safety concerns
CHAD website, 02May2007
MANSFIELD Town have had their capacity slashed by half to 4,684 over safety concerns at Field Mill.
The club have been under fire from fans over 'heavy-handed stewarding' at last Saturday's game against Barnet when young fans who ran on the pitch to celebrate victory at the end were rugby-tackled and manhandled by stewards with some complaints of assault.
The club were informed of the decision yesterday which was based on 'the poor standard of stewarding, weak safety management throughout all levels of the club and a lack of proactive approach to safety issues'.
A County Council spokeswoman confirmed that 'there were already existing safety concerns' but that 'Saturday's complaints over stewarding were a clear trigger for this decision'.
The council is responsible for setting the number of spectators allowed into designated sports grounds and before yesterday, Stags' were allowed 90 per cent of the ground's 9,368 capacity.
The council has taken the action following advice from the Safety Advisory Group which is made up of representatives from the County Council, Nottinghamshire Police, Notinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, East Midlands Ambulance Service, Mansfield District Council and other organisations.
The role of SAG is to advise the County Council directly on safety issues.
Sue Storey, from the council's emergency planning team, chairs the SAG and she said: "Our ultimate concern is the safety of people who go to Mansfield Town to enjoy a football match.
"We have concerns about the quality of stewarding and general safety management and are therefore using our legislative powers to impose this reduction.
"We will continue to work with the club to develop a safety culture and will monitor progress during next season."
The County Council, along with SAG members, will continue to monitor safety at the ground and review capacity.
Chad is attempting to contact Stags chairman James Derry and the Football League today but neither were available for comment this morning.
Latest | May 2007