{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from February 2007

3rd February 2007 23:02

Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Shrewsbury Town
Brown 60. Asamoah 13. Symes sent off 41.

Attendance: 3250 (387 from Shrewsbury)
photos by empics:
Shrewsbury Town's goalkeeper Christopher MacKenzie can only stand and watch Simon Brown goal fly in:

Mansfield Town's Martin Gritton in action:

BBC report:
Mansfield 1-1 Shrewsbury
Simon Brown salvaged a point for Mansfield against 10-man Shrewsbury after Michael Symes was dismissed for a 42nd-minute scuffle with Alex Baptiste.
Shrewsbury's Derek Asamoah opened the scoring against his former club after 13 minutes.

But the Stags looked more lively after the break and levelled on the hour when Brown headed home from close range.

The home side pressed for a winner but just could not find a winner although Martin Gritton headed just wide.

CHAD report:
Stags frustrated by 10-men Shrewsbury
Mansfield's midweek five goal glut was a distant memory this afternoon as Stags were held at home by a Shrewsbury side forced to play with 10 men for 48 minutes.
At least Simon Brown's header on the hour earned a point and extended the unbeaten run to four games.
But it was a scrappy affair on a very difficult bobbly surface which didn't help the football flow.
Ex-Stag Derek Asamoah had given the Shrews a 13th minute lead in a first half when lethargic Mansfield wasted chances and John Mullins had an effort cleared off the line.
The home side were given a massive boost just before the break when visiting striker Michael Symes was sent off for a clash with Alex John-Baptiste.
But, although Brown levelled and Mansfield created several good chances, they were ultimately frustrated.
Mansfield had to make one enforced change with Jake Buxton joining Barry Conlon on the suspended list for one game, Mullins coming in to play at right back and John-Baptiste shrugging off a hamstring strain to move to centre back.
Jelleyman took over the captaincy for the day.
Brown had the first effort of the game with a hopeful 35 yard dipping shot which was always sailing wide.
He had a much better attempt on six minutes as he struck a half-clearance first time firmly on target from 25 yards, though Mackenzie was always behind it.
Dawson released Brown down the right soon after and Mackenzie was bravely down to grab the ball as Gritton slid in.
On 12 minutes Brown tried to find Boulding in the box. Tierney was there first and Boulding appeared to wrestle him to the ground which left him with only Mackenzie to beat. But, with Tierney furiously appealing for the foul, Boulding lashed over the far angle.
Within a minute Mansfield were behind from Shrewsbury's first attack of any real meaning.
Edwards slotted a through ball for Asamoah to chase. And the former Stags striker ran on before tucking a neat finish under White.
Another Stags break down the left saw Dawson find Boulding. He pulled back a low cross towards Gritton but the striker completely missed his kick and the moment was gone.
The game was littered with mistakes on a dreadful, bobbling surface.
Nevertheless, Mansfield continued to threaten and a Brown ball sent Boulding down the left. Gritton was coming in at the far post but Boulding tried his luck from the tightest of angles and blasted the ball wide of the far post.
Stags came so close on 26 minutes as Mullins rose unchallenged at the far post to head a Hamshaw free kick past Mackenzie only for Tierney to clear off the line.
Shrews debutant Canoville was well wide with a 20 yard effort on the half-hour.
Burton was also well wide with a poor finish from the same distance after neat footwork had seen him shake off the challenge of Gritton.
Brown was wide from 25 yards as Stags continued to struggle to find a way back.
It was Shrewsbury who almost extended their lead on 38 minutes as Symes turned Hjelde sharply in the box before crashing a rising shot just over the bar.
Brown was a little closer on 40 minutes as a John-Baptiste header reached him 20 yards from goal and he again shot on sight as he turned to swing a dipping shot a couple of feet too high.
But the game exploded on 42 minutes as Symes put a hand in John-Baptiste's face during an aerial challenge. John-Baptiste thundered into the second header as the ball dropped which saw Symes react. The pair pushed each other and the referee came over the send off Symes and book John-Baptiste.
In truth, a yellow each would have sufficed. But possibly Stags' luck was evening out after the Conlon red card a week before.
But it as least offered Mansfield hope for the second half.
Shrewsbury made a double interval switch as Cooke replaced Ashton and Herd came on for Canoville.
Dearden switched his defence round and moved Mullins to centre half to give Stags the pace of John-Baptist overlapping from right back.
Dawson was lucky to escape a booking after catching Tierney late.
But he was shown the yellow soon after for a tug on Asamoah as he threatened to race clear of the Irishman.
To great relief, Stags were level on the hour. Hamshaw got to the right by-line and sent over the perfect inviting cross for Brown to bury a close range header.
On 63 Brown fed Dawson for a cross that Gritton headed powerfully but narrowly wide.
This was much better and two minutes later Gritton won the all on the right and raced away to send in a cross that Boulding got a glancing header onto which passed narrowly wide.
Gritton was booked for his foul on Drummond on 68 minutes.
Jelleyman went on a good run but his finish was deflected and easier for Mackenzie.
Mansfield had the ball in the net again on 75 minutes as Dawson lofted a half cleared corner back in the box and Gritton headed over Mackenzie only to be ruled offside.
But the Shrews were still dangerous and John-Baptiste's challenge was enough to prevent Tierney getting his shot on target, flying just over for a corner.
With 12 minutes left Asamoah left the field to a chorus of boos to be replaced by Jones.
Brown almost punished Burton for a short backheader but, having got there first and taken it wide of the keeper he found himself too wide and his square ball in was cleared.
Seconds later Brown tried a cheeky lob from a difficult angle and Mackenzie had to tip it over.
Boulding fired a shot straight at Mackenzie as Stags went all out for a winner.
Edwards headed wide for the visitors just before Stags went for broke and withdrew defender Hjelde in favour of striker Rory Boulding.
D'Laryea brought another great save out of Mackenzie on 86 as he got down late to turn his 20 yard drive aside and that was enough to secure the point for the visitors.


Latest | February 2007