{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2002

3rd August 2002 20:20


FT: Lincoln City 3 Mansfield Town 2
Two goals in the last couple of minutes saw the Imps come from behind to grab a well-earned friendly victory over Mansfield Town at sunny Sincil Bank on Saturday afternoon.
City took the lead on 57 minutes when Simon Yeo netted his first goal for the club only for Craig Disley to level matters within 60 seconds. Isyden Christie, back with the Stags on trial, then headed the visitors in front before the Imps grabbed two late goals to take the spoils.
Ben Sedgemore made it 2-2 from close range after Adam Buckley's corner was drilled back into the box by Scott Willis and in the first minute of stoppage time, Paul Smith capped a fine performance by bundling the ball home after Mansfield 'keeper Kevin Pilkington had dropped a Buckley free-kick.

Full-time report:
Eight minutes had elapsed before the game's first chance came along with the Imps coming within inches of grabbing the lead. An excellent ball from Scott Willis saw Dene Cropper and Mansfield defender Neil Moore battle for possession on the edge of the penalty box.
Both players met the ball at the same time with it somehow spooning over Kevin Pilkington. The Mansfield man did well to get his fingertips to the ball and then did even better to deny Simon Yeo who saw his goalbound shot smothered by the 'keeper.
Play quickly switched to the other end with Mansfield winning a free-kick 25 yards from goal. Scott Sellars took the kick after a minute's delay to allow Dene Cropper to receive treatment but Imps' 'keeper Alan Marriott was alert to the situation and pulled off a fine one handed save to divert the ball over the bar.
Referee Phil Joslin was a busy man in the opening stages with a number of meaty challenges from Scott Willis forcing the official to have words with the combatitive scouser.
Willis escaped punishment though but Mansfield's Dave Jervis wasn't so furtunate when his blatant trip on Paul Smith saw him become the recipient of the game's first yellow card.
Big target man Andy White then flashed a volley a foot over before the Imps were forced to make a change with Cropper limping off to be replaced by Kingsley Black.
Black lined up alongside Smith and Yeo up front and shortly after his introduction, a snap shot from Yeo warmed Pilkington's hands and earned the striker a warm round of applause from the home crowd.
The Imps continued to force Mansfield on to the back foot with a neat move involving Willis, Black and Smith seeing the latter test Pilkington who was easily the busiest of the two 'keepers.
City custodian Alan Marriott was eventually called into action ten minutes before the break when a fine pass from Neil Mackenzie to Lee Williamson seeing the midfielder test the Imps' number one with a low left-footed drive.
This proved to be the last action of the half and the teams trundled off for their half-time orange on level terms.
It was all change for the visitors at the break as they made eight changes and the Imps made a switch themselves with former Mansfield man Ben Sedgemore coming on for Ben Futcher in an unaccustomed central defensive role.
After a cagey opening to the second period, the game burst into life just before the hour mark as both sides found the back of the net. A fine move down the right hand side saw the Imps break the deadlock on 57 minutes. Good work from Paul Smith saw him beat his man before picking out the onrushing Simon Yeo in the six yard box and the striker opened his City account by neatly sidefooting past Pilkington (should say Bingham - Stagsnet).
The goal was a just reward for Yeo whose lively displays have already seen him become something of a crowd favourite at Sincil Bank and the Imps' faithful will no doubt be hoping for a few more from the former non-League hitman.
Apart from bringing the crowd to life, Yeo's effort also brought the visitors to life as within 60 seconds they pulled level. Former Leyton Orient striker Isyden Christie, back with the Stags for a trial spell, received the ball in the Imps' box and shrugged off Ben Sedgemore before rifling the ball into the danger area. The loose ball cannonned off a number of players but unfortunately for the Imps it eventually fell to Craig Disley who had the easy task of rolling the ball into the net.
Alan Marriott then did well to save at the feet of Danny Bacon after he had been picked out by the lively Christie before Imps' boss Keith Alexander made another change with Adam Buckley replacing Kingsley Black.
A clearance from Marriott which hammered into teammate Stuart Bimson saw Neil Lazarus blaze well wide when he should have done while at the other end a superb break out of defence from Paul Morgan saw him beat a number of Mansfield players before testing Pilkington (should say Bingham - Stagsnet)with a right footed drive.
Yeo then saw a shot fly inches wide of the left-hand upright after latching onto a Buckley throughball but play quickly switched back to the other end and, with 74 minutes on the clock, the Stags took the lead. Some neat footwork from Lazarus saw him leave Gain and Sedgemore chasing shadows and after creating room for himself whipped in a superb ball into the danger area with Christie planting a firm header past Marriott.
The goal was tough luck on City who continued to pressure their higher division opponents. Paul Smith saw a header blocked by Danny Holyoake and Scott Willis ballooned a volley well over after Yeo had won a corner on the left.
A sweeping move involving that man Christie again almost led to a third for the visitors but Bacon fired over after latching on to a knock down by Beardsley. City responded by forcing another corner and from Adam Buckley's deep centre the Imps drew level. Buckley's flag-kick sailed over a packed penalty box, was fired back in by Scott Willis and on hand to finish things off was ex-Stag Ben Sedgemore who was clearly pleased to net against his former side.
That wasn't the end of the action though as, with a minute of stoppage time played, City regained the lead. City were awarded a free-kick in front of the Co-op Community Stand which was whipped in by Buckley. Pilkington (should say Bingham - Stagsnet) flapped, the ball dropped and Paul Smith hammered home from two yards to continue his fine run of form in front of goal.

Lincoln City: Alan Marriott, Mark Bailey, Stuart Bimson, Simon Weaver, Ben Futcher (Ben Sedgemore h/t), Paul Morgan, Scott Willis, Peter Gain, Paul Smith, Dene Cropper (Kingsley Black 17, Adam Buckley 67), Simon Yeo.
Subs (not used): Mark Camm, Ian Hamilton, Adam Holtham, Paul Pettinger.
Goals: Simon Yeo (57), Ben Sedgemore (89), Paul Smith (90+)
Mansfield Town (first half): Kevin Pilkington, Matthew Gadsby, Neil Moore, Stuart Reddington, Dave Jervis, Lee Williamson, Neil Mackenzie, Wayne Corden, Scott Sellars, Colin Larkin, Andy White.
(second half): Michael Bingham, Jamie Clarke, Dion Scott, Danny Holyoake, Dave Jervis, Craig Disley, Neil Mackenzie (David Rew 79), Wayne Corden (Chris Beardsley 76), Neil Lazarus, Colin Larkin, Isyden Christie.
Goals: Craig Disley (58), Isyden Christie (74)

Referee: P Joslin
Assistants: J Lawson, G Sutton
Fourth Official: M Short
Attendance: 1,085 (inc. 228 visiting supporters)


Latest | August 2002