{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2006

7th October 2006 23:32

Mansfield Town 2 - 2 Notts County
Reet 9, 19. Hamshaw sent off 59. Edwards 71, Dudfield 86
Attendance: 6182 (1628 from Notts)
Photos from yahoo:

Danny Reet scores his first goal :

Danny Reet celebrates scoring his first goal :

CHAD report:
Stage 2 Notts County 2 - local derby controversy
A RED card for Stags skipper Matt Hamshaw saw a dramatic change in fortune in this afternoon's enthralling local derby at Field Mill as Notts County hit back with two goals in the last 19 minutes to earn an unlikely point.

A brace of goals by Danny Reet had put Stags in full command inside the first 19 minutes as the high-flying visitors were pulled apart and very lucky not to go in at half-time with Stags four or five goals to the good.
Reet had another effort disallowed and one saved while Richie Barker - scorer of three goals in the last three derbies with County - had a miserable afternoon, hitting a post and the bar, having one effort smothered at his feet by former Mansfield keeper Kevin Pilkington and also twice narrowly missing the target.
Notts rarely threatened Jason White's goal But Hamshaw's second yellow card of the game on 59 minutes changed all that dramatically.
Suddenly it was all Notts and, roared on by over 1,600 fans behind the goal, they pulled one back through Mike Edwards on 71 minutes before Lawrie Dudfield broke home hearts with only four minutes to go.
Stags boss Peter Shirtliff said: "When we had that third goal disallowed I wondered to myself if that was a defining moment and that's how it turned out.
"I thought it was a perfectly good goal and so did the Notts County people. So they got away with that one and it was a bad decision in my opinion.
"I was very disappointed with the sending off too as Matt Hamshaw couldn't tackle my missus.
"The first booking I will accept as he obstructed him but the second Matt says he didn't even touch the lad and I agree with him.
"That gave Notts a lift and they started to load the ball into our box.
"We have to be a bit calmer in defence and their first goal should have been dealt with while the second was just bobbling about in the air.
"It is a shame as I thought my players were all excellent today. We just have to stick with it and maybe our luck will change and we will start getting a few dubious things going our way."
Stags made two changes with Coke and Lloyd dropped to the bench
Reet returned up front with Dawson back in midfield after a one game suspension.
Buxton switched back to right back with John-Baptiste partnering Hjelde in the heart of defence.
Referee Dermot Gallagher was back in charge of a game for the first time since the infamous Thatcher/Mendes elbow incident.
Stags won a free kick just outside the Notts box in the opening minute but Sheehan curled it straight into the defensive wall.
Stags survived a long Somner throw which was flicked on into the danger zone.
But the home side looked sharp and 'up for it' and swept ahead on 10 minutes.
White tried to clear a Jelleyman cross but sliced the ball up into the air and Reet was on hand to volley superbly into the roof of the net.
Stags really should have extended that advantage within two minutes as Hamshaw threaded a perfect pass through the defence for Barker. However, with only Pilkington to beat, his finish came off the foot of the left hand post.
But it was deservedly 2-0 on 19 minutes.
Hamshaw's first corner of the afternoon from the right reached Jelleyman at the near post. He couldn't tuck it away, but the ball looped up for Barker who headed against the bar from close range and finally ran towards Reet who again made no mistake from close range with a deadly finish.
Soon after Reet had a shot blocked in the box as he chased a quickfire hat-trick.
The first real threat on White's goal came on 21 minutes as Ross was inches wide with a ferocious shot from 40 yards.
Dudfield also tried one on the turn from 20 yards but that also passed wide.
Hamshaw was booked for a foul on Mendes on 21 minutes.
Then White did well to block a Dudfield finish unaware an offside flag was raised against Mendes' through ball.
Barker twice set up opportunities for Mansfield. His challenge on a long White kick saw the ball roll to Hamshaw who dipped a shot just over. Then he played a square pass for Reet to get a low shot on goal which Pilkington saved.
Notts responded with two corners but Mansfield stood firm.
On 31 minutes Mendes tried to beat White on his near post with a curling shot from a tight angle on the left, but the keeper was perfectly positioned.
Reet was booked for leaving a foot in on White in the 33rd minute.
Another neat Stags move saw D'Laryea touch a Jelleyman cross down for Barker who drove a finish over the top from 16 yards.
Barker continued to come desperately close to a goal and on 37 minutes he sent a diving header wide from close range from a Hamshaw free kick. Then two minutes later he was put clear by Reet's chipped pass but saw Pilkington smother his finish at his feet.
Reet though he had completed his hat-trick on 41 minutes when he crashed home an unstoppable18 yard finish but the referee ruled he had fouled White before letting fly.
The Notts County chairman at least had a smile on his face at the break as he won the £400 Field Mill half time draw!
The Magpies made a double change at the start of the second half as N'Toya came on for Mendes and Hunt replaced Somner.
Silk was booked for bringing down Dawson in full flight only for Sheehan to again curl his kick into the wall.
Hunt did well to rob Reet as he danced past two challenges in the box.
Another cynical trip, this time by Silk on Hamshaw, also saw a booking for the visitors on 50 and two minutes later it was Parkinson shown yellow for a lunge at Dawson as he superbly held off three challengers.
White just managed to get a head in before he could head home another superb Hamshaw cross.
But that was Hamshaw's last major contribution as he was booked for a foul on McCann on 59 and, having been booked in the first half, was sent off.
There was confusion as Dawson, both sides and the crowd seemed unaware he had been booked in the first half when the referee had taken out his book but few had seen the card actually brandished.
Stags were up against it now and Notts forced a corner which White pushed away and Hunt hooked over from 10 yards.
Jelleyman pulled off a great tackle on Silk in the box when any mistiming would have given away a penalty.
Notts began to pile on the pressure and White three times came for crosses but failed to get the ball clear.
Another cross came over which White palmed as far as N'Toya who had a fierce shot blocked.
But the pressure told on 71 minutes as Notts halved the arrears through Edwards.
N'Toya crossed and Edwards managed to get goalside of the defence to lash home from eight yards.
Mansfield decided to replace Sheehan with Coke and pulled Jelleyman back to left back.
McCann was off target from long range as home nails were being bitten and Ross also had a firm low shot deflect wide for a corner as those nails went further down.
Notts continued to up their corner count as the Magpies laid siege to the home goal.
And the inevitable equaliser arrived four minutes from time. Hjelde headed onto the roof of his own net and Ross' corner to the far post was headed back across goal by Hunt for Dudfield to head home from almost on the line.
D'Laryea had a shot blocked in a rare Stags threat from a free kick.
And in stoppage time Coke almost snatched a winner from a Jelleyman throw which he controlled and lashed a low shot just wide of the far post.
But it finished all square with Stags once again left cursing their bad luck after being so much on top.
Notts boss Steve Thompson, who used to play alongside Stags manager Shirtliff at Charlton, said: "I always said I would be honest with the supporters, well for the first 10 minutes we were abysmal, shocking.
"Mansfield were up for it and we were second to everything. Quite frankly we weren't at the races in the first half so we had to make one or two changes at half time and they proved crucial.
"We had a right go in the second half and on the balance of play deserved our draw.
"We finished by far the stronger of the two teams.
"I suppose everyone will talk about the sending off and how that changed the game.
"Would we have got back to 2-2 if it had been 11 versus 11? I don't know. Also I don't know if it should have been a sending-off, but Peter (Shirtliff) is definitely not happy about it."
BBC report:
Mansfield 2-2 Notts County
Notts County battled back from 2-0 down to snatch a point in a thrilling League Two local derby at Mansfield.
Lawrie Dudfield tapped home County's 86th-minute equaliser following Michael Edwards' strike to give them hope.

Danny Reet had earlier put the Stags in control with a sweet volley before he tapped home Richie Barker's shot which had come back off the crossbar.

But after Matt Hamshaw was sent-off the game swung back in County's favour as they completed a late revival.


Latest | October 2006