{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2006

31st July 2006 14:39

Alfreton Town 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
Hamshaw, Barker, Reet
Att: 412
29 July 2006

Stagsnet report in the Match Centre
Evening Post report:

Matt Hamshaw turned in another sparkling performance as Mansfield Town won 3-1 at Alfreton Town.

The former Stockport player scored one and set up another before being replaced at the break.

But the right-sided midfielder showed enough in the opening 45 minutes - plus other great pre-season performances - to suggest he will be an asset to Stags boss Peter Shirtliff. The visitors took the lead at the Impact Arena when fellow new signing Michael Boulding crossed for Hamshaw to fire home past keeper Dale Roberts.

Roberts, signed by Reds boss Gary Mills on a season-long loan from Nottingham Forest, was by far the busier of the two keepers as he almost single-handedly kept the Stags at bay.

He denied Simon Brown after 14 minutes and repeated the feat soon after to thwart an 18-yard effort from Boulding.

Boulding again saw a header parried by the keeper but even Roberts was helpless after 23 minutes when Stags' leading scorer from last season, Richard Barker, looped home a header from Hamshaw's pinpoint free kick.

But Alfreton battled back and pulled a goal back through Ryan Clarke after 33 minutes.

Jermaine Palmer's header from an Ashley Burberry free kick was charged down and Clarke pounced to fire home past Carl Muggleton.

Roberts was called on after the break to save from Giles Coke, but Stags ensured victory on 65 minutes as Danny Reet headed at the far post.
CHAD report
Mansfield cruise to win at Alfreton
THE DIFFERENCE between full-time League Two and par time Conference North was evident as Mansfield achieved a comfortable 3-1 victory against hard-working Alfreton at the Impact Arena on Saturday.
But Reds' keeper Dale Roberts, on a year's loan from Nottingham Forest, kept the scoreline to respectable proportions with a string of excellent saves.
Even so, there was encouragement to be drawn for the home side too, especially since they threw a couple of youngsters into the fray - alongside the experience of 44-year-old player-manager Gary Mills - against a side that beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-0 on Wednesday night.
Stags boss Peter Shirtliff said afterwards that it is important to play local sides like Alfreton in the pre-season build-up.
"It's of interest locally and it was a good workout for both teams," he told Chad after the match.
"We took a strong side because we wanted the game to be part of our build-up to the season proper next Saturday, and it gave me the chance to rotate things.
"It was a decent game and a decent performance by us.
"The players are looking as if they have confidence and unity, and are competitive, so hopefully we can take this into our league programme."
Although Shirtliff took a strong side, only keeper Carl Muggleton and defender Jake Buxton played the full 90 minutes.
Matt Hamshaw put the Stags ahead in only the seventh minute.
Michael Boulding had escaped the attentions of Ryan Clarke on a run in along the by-line, and although his cross looked to have gone to safety, Hamshaw hit home from the far side of the area.
Hamshaw went on to cause several problems for the overworked Reds' defence for the remainder of the first half before being replaced at half time.
Meanwhile, Roberts gave a foretaste of what was to come from him with a fine save in the 14th minute, denying Simon Brown.
And three minutes later Boulding turned inside Emeka Nwadike on the 18-yard line to bring another excellent stop out of the young keeper.
Roberts then parried Boulding's close range header, with Mills completing the clearance.
But the keeper was beaten a minute later, on 23, when Richie Barker looped home a head off Hamshaw's free kick from the left.
Alfreton then began to show more attacking ideas, and on 33 minutes the impressive Clarke got one back.
It stemmed from Ashley Burberry's free kick, Jermaine Palmer's header was charged down, and Clarke was first to the free ball to tuck it past veteran keeper Carl Muggleton - a close-season target for Alfreton.
The Stags made five half time changes and the second half was slow to get going, but former Boston United defender Clarke blocked from Danny Reet, and Roberts saved well from Giles Coke.
Reet made it 3-1 in the 65th minute. John Mullins swung over a deep cross to Reet who rose high at the far post to guide his header under the angle and out of the reach of the brave Roberts.
Stags could have had more after that as Alfreton wilted somewhat.
Clarke made a tremendous challenge in the area on Chris Beardsley to deny him a shot after Reet had headed down for his fellow half time substitute.
And even former Doncaster striker Tristram Whitman had to dig out in the Reds' defence to get the ball away as Reet again looked for Beardsley.
Really, though, it was not to be Beardsley's day.
He picked up Mark Barnard's misplaced header and brought another good save from Roberts at his right hand post.
And then, after Reet had headed Nathan Arnold's deep cross back into the six yard box, he could only head wide.
A surging run by Adam Birchall engineered yet another chance for the unlucky striker, who this time saw Roberts come off best with a point blank save.
And three minutes from time he had a shot blocked on the line by Clarke.
ALFRETON: Roberts, Mills, Featherstone, Clarke, Barnard, Fisher (Robinson 79), Nwadike (A. Brown 58), Burberry (Blair 75), Palmer (Mitchell 65), Whitman, Tiday (Redman 75). Subs not used: Ndyenge, Magee.
STAGS: Muggleton, Mullins (McIntosh 77), Jellyman (Kendtick ht), Hjelde (John-Baptisey ht), Buxton, Hamshaw (Beardsley ht), Dawson (D'Laryea ht), Barker (Arnold ht), S. Brown (Reet ht), Boulding (Lloyd 61), Coke (Birchall 61).
REFEREE: Alastair Lindsay of Blidworth.
MEN OF THE MATCH: Reds - Dale Roberts; Stags - Matt Hamshaw.
30 July 2006


Latest | July 2006