{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from April 2006

18th April 2006 0:11

Barnet 1 - 0 Mansfield Town
Hatch 10. Coke sent off 53, Reet sent off 71.
Attendance: 2,784 (292 from Mansfield)

Martin Shaw at Underhill

Mansfield Town fell to a second 1-0 defeat in 48 hours against a London side, this time in controversial circumstances at Underhill. Barnet took the lead after 10 minutes, but it was the second half sendings-off of Coke and Reet that incensed the Mansfield fans. Coke's second yellow was stupid and deserved, but Reet was unlucky to get a straight red for a challenge that was nowhere near as bad as one by Hessenthaler on Rundle in the first half, that didn't even receive a yellow card. However the controversy should not paper over what was a poor performance from the Stags against a very poor Barnet side.

Stagsnet report now in the match centre
BBC report:
Barnet 1-0 Mansfield
Liam Hatch's 10th-minute strike secured a vital three points for Barnet as the Bees held on against nine-man Mansfield to boost their survival hopes.
The forward capped a man-of-the-match display with his first goal this term when he turned in a Nick Bailey corner.

Town were then reduced to nine men when Giles Coke, for his violent reaction to Barry Fuller's challenge, and Danny Reet, for a lunge on Bailey, saw red.

But Town nearly got a draw when Richard Barker struck the post in injury time.

Match Report
Liam Hatch's first goal of the season rewarded a hard working Bees side with a vital three points against Mansfield Town at Underhill on Easter Monday.

Bees Manager Paul Fairclough made four changes to the starting eleven following the 2-0 defeat to Oxford United on Saturday.

Simon King returned to the side at left back in place of Simon Clist, whilst Paolo Vernazza dropped to the bench with Dean Sinclair earning a recall to the starting line-up. Meanwhile, Hatch returned up front with Ben Strevens making way.

The Bees started brightly and immediately put The Stags on the back foot with some forceful challenges and high tempo football.

It was not long before Fairclough's side created their first chance on goal when Barry Fuller played a cute pass forward to Tresor Kandol. He made strides down the Bees left before cutting the ball back to Sinclair but he could only drag his left footed effort wide of Kevin Pressmans's left hand post.

Just three minutes later, though, and Barnet to get the game's first goal and it was Hatch who was to get their to claim his first goal of the season.

A fine corner by Nicky Bailey from was met by the head of Hatch at the back post, the ball cannoned off of the head of Alex Baptiste and fell nicely again for Hatch who made no mistake from 10 yards with a fine strike into the bottom right hand corner.

It was a deserved lead for the Bees who had started the game brightly.

To their credit, Mansfield began to play some nice football but were struggling to make the clinical pass in the final third.

In the 29th minute the Bees nearly extended their lead and it was that man Hatch again who nearly got his second of the game when his header from a Bailey corner was hacked away by John Olav Hjelde with the ball seemingly destined for the bottom corner.

Two minutes later and Hatch came close again his header, this time from a Hendon cross, was cleared for a corner by Alex Baptiste with keeper Pressman again looking beaten.

Hatch then had his third effort to extend the lead in the 33rd minute but his header from a Bailey cross flew just wide.

It was not until the 34th minute before Mansfield had their first effort of the game in bizarre circumstances.Adam Rundle played an innocuous ball forward and the ball bounced into the area. Flitney came rushing out of his goal but Richard Barker got their first but luckily for Barnet Andy Hessenthaler beat Stephen Dawson to the ball and cleared from inside his own six yard box.

Coke then had his free kick held easily by Flitney before Hatch had a goal disallowed for a foul on keeper Pressman.

The second period began in the same high tempo fashion and again it was the Bees who were looking the more threatening in the final third when a deep Bailey free kick from the left was met by the head of Hatch who headed over from an acute angle in the 50th minute.

Just a minute later though and Mansfield were reduced to ten men when Giles Coke received his second yellow card of the game. A challenge by Barry Fuller incensed the Mansfield centre back and he retaliated and both players were cautioned with Coke receiving his second booking and an early shower.

The impact of playing with ten men was almost instant for the Stags when they nearly fell further behind when a Sinclair challenge Pressman following a Bailey cross and the ball fell to Kandol but his effort, with the ball bouncing high, could only be directed over the crossbar.

Mansfield were then dealt a further blow when Danny Reet, who had only been on the pitch for ten minutes, was shown a straight red card following a challenge on Bailey.

Two minutes later though and the unpredicatable nearly happened when a cross by Gus Uhlenbeek was misjudged at the front post by Flitney but luckily Charles was there to head the ball away for a corner kick.

Stags keeper Pressman then kicked the ball straight at Tresor Kandol following a pass back but luckily for the big custodian the ball flew wide and then just seconds later a fine pass threw found Bailey and with only Pressman to beat, the midfielders effort in the 76th minute cannoned off of a post.

Simon King then shot over from all of 30 yards ten minutes from time before Kandol headed over just moments later when Sinclair crossed following a Pressman error.

Fuller then saw his fine strike deflected wide for a corner before Barker headed wide from eight yards when he really could have punished the Bees just three minutes from time.

The referee added five minutes of added time but the Bees held out for a vital win and any talk of relegation was postponed - at least for another week.

Attendance: 2784 (including 292 away supporters)
CHAD report:
Mansfield fury as two see red in defeat
Mansfield Town's miserable Easter was complete when they had two men sent off as they lost 1-0 at relegation-haunted Barnet this afternoon.
Stags had hoped to make capital over the weekend as they knew six points against London clubs Leyton Orient and Barnet would keep their faint Play-offs hopes alive.
Instead they suffered two defeats, Liam Hatch's decisive 10th minute strike sealing victory in the Easter Monday sunshine at Underhill.
But it the performance of Cambridgeshire referee Kevin Wright that was the main talking point.
He dismissed Giles Coke for his second yellow card before causing uproar by sending off Danny Reet for what looked a tough but fair challenge on Nicky Bailey just 15 minutes after Reet had come on as a second half sub.
Mansfield manager Peter Shirtliff confirmed afterwards he was considering an appeal against Reet's straight red as, if upheld, that card will rule him out for the rest of the season.
"I thought Giles Coke's first booking was strange to say what had gone on before and not one yellow card had been shown," he said.
"Barnet tried to beat us up and the referee should have got a grip on the game.
"I could see a caution in Coke's second so then he has to go. But the first was dubious at best.
"The second half became a farce with some strange decisions, particularly the Danny Reet one.
"He came in from the side and was perfectly entitled to go for the ball. Even Andy Hessenthaler came up to me afterwards and said it wasn't even a free kick, never mind a sending-off.
"I have spoken to the referee and he assures me that if I go through the proper channels he will have another look at it. I will see the video tomorrow and make a decision.
"I thought we played quite well with 10 and nine men and battled manfully. We almost got an equaliser in the end.
"To be trailing 1-0 at half-time was a difficult scoreline to accept with some of the situations we had been in and not produced anything of quality at the end.
"We had opportunities we should have scored from but things just fizzled out. It was a poor game and I suppose 1-0 was always going to win it."
The Stags starting line-up showed two changes from the side beaten by Leyton Orient with Allan Russell replacing Reet up front while Stephen Dawson took over from Gus Uhlenbeek on the right of midfield.
Stags lost super sub Simon Brown's services after his stomach hernia proved too sore to be involved after Saturday.
Stage kicked off down the famous Underhill slope and began the afternoon with great purpose.
Veteran Paul Warhurst's outstretched leg denied Russell from reaching Jake Buxton's through ball and then Dawson's cross was just too high for an unmarked Coke.
Barnet broke down the centre with Kandol drawing two defenders before rolling a pass to Sinclair who pulled his shot wide.
However, the home side did find an unexpected breakthrough after only 10 minutes.
Barnet's second corner was headed clear as far as Hatch 14 yards from goal and he drilled a superb finish through a crowded box and past a helpless Kevin Pressman.
Hatch went on to be the home side's outstanding performer, though Stags often gave him too much space at the far post when the balls were pumped in.
However, the visitors almost produced an immediate reply as Jon D'Laryea slipped a great pass through the home defence into the path of Adam Rundle only to see keeper Flitney down well at the winger's feet as he tried to go round him.
Stags won two corners with Wilson having a shot charged down from the second of them.
But the Evertonian was well placed at the other end soon after to clear in front of his goal line after Bailey had picked out Hatch at the far post.
A repeat ball to Hatch again saw him again get the ball on target and Alex John-Baptiste was relieved to see the ball go wide after his clearance struck Sinclair and flew back towards his goal.
There was more danger from Hatch on 33 minutes as, with Pressman having left his line, he got a head onto Bailey's free kick but watched the ball sail wide of the gaping goal.
Mansfield were almost level a minute later. Russell beat Flitney to a bouncing spinning ball and helped it past him towards goal. Hessenthaler and Dawson both dived in and the ball rolled even closer the empty net before Charles appeared to clear off the line.
Stags had a massive let-off just before the break when John-Baptiste headed the ball goalwards as Pressman came to gather and Hatch stole in to beat Pressman and net.
However, the referee had spotted a Hatch handball and his goal celebrations were cut short by a yellow card!
The referee had a queue of players waiting for him at half-time as Hatch, home skipper Ian Hendon and Stags skipper Richie Barker challenged him about his decisions.
Coke needed lengthy treatment after the break after a nasty collision with Bailey soon after the break. But worse was to come for the Stags youngster.
Fuller had just gone in hard with Barker and then leapt into a second challenge on Coke (one that looked far worse than Reet's).
Coke reacted angrily and players from both sides ran in. The referee decided Fuller was only deserving of a yellow but Coke, who had already been booked, was shown a second yellow and subsequent red for his retaliation.
Shirtliff quickly sent on Reet and Lloyd for Russell and Rundle.
But Reet's contribution was to last just 15 minutes before he too was red-carded.
He went into a fierce challenge to prevent Bailey clearing which looked tough but fair and he even seemed to have got the ball.
The referee thought otherwise and, despite more lengthy protests from the visitors, they were down to nine men.
Barker almost found an equaliser on 76 minutes as Buxton did well to get in a near post cross that saw Barker, Flitney and Warhurst all collide in a tangle and the ball bobble just wide of the open goal.
With the nine men pouring forward, Barnet almost sealed it on 78 minutes as Hatch's flick saw Bailey outpace Jon Hjelde but send his finish against the foot of the post with Pressman beaten.
King was just too high with a dipping shot. Then Kandol could not direct a header onto an open goal after Sinclair had robbed Pressman and crossed as the keeper raced to the left hand edge of his box to kick clear John-Baptiste's backpass, but tried to beat the Barnet man instead.
Fuller also had a volley deflect just wide as the visitors creaked.
Nevertheless, the Stags really should have been level a minute from time. Buxton's cross found Barker unmarked six yards from goal yet he steered his header wide of goal.
Batt's poor shot at Pressman in the fifth minute of stoppage time was the final action as the whistle saw angry Stags players and assistant boss Paul Holland surround the referee.
But it mattered little as the Play-off dream finally died and summer beckoned with three games still to go.

Bees Beat 9-Man Mansfield

Writer: Adam Shellard
Date: Monday April 17 2006
Time: 8:13PM

Barnet 1 Mansfield 0

17/04/06 15:00
Attendance: 2784

A hard-working Barnet side were rewarded with all three points on Easter Monday, with Liam Hatch's first half goal proving decisive for the 1-0 win over 9-man Mansfield.

Three changes were made from the team that lost two days ago: Simon King was put at left-back, Dean Sinclair was back in the side with Paolo Vernazza dropping to the bench. Liam Hatch also sided in place of Strevens. That meant Andy Hessenthaler was kept in the starting squad despite playing most of the game on Saturday.

Barnet started the better side with a high tempo, with the crowd getting behind them from the whistle. Minutes into the game and Dean Sinclair dragged his shot just wide after Barry Fuller passed down the left to Tresor Kandol who cut back to Sinclair. On ten minutes, Liam Hatch would score his first goal of the season. A fine Bailey corner was met by Hatch's header at the back post, which cannoned off a defender's head. It fell back to him and from ten yards his sweet shot went into the corner of the net.

Barnet 1-0 Mansfield Town

The much deserved goal sent the home fan's wild, knowing they need all the points they can get before the end of the season. Mansfield did try to place some nice football but their flowing style was cut out by the Barnet midfield and could not get anywhere near a chance due to a solid Bees defence.

Hatch went close to getting his second just before the half hour mark when his header from a Bailey corner was cleared off the line, as it flew towards to bottom corner. Two minutes later, another Hatch header from a Hendon cross was blocked by Baptiste, with the goalkeeper seemingly beaten. Hatch's next header flew wide just before Mansfield had their first chance of the game. Rundle crossed a ball into the box but as Flitney came out to make the catch, he was already beaten by the receiver. Barker's tame shot at goal made the whole ground silent as it neared going over the line before Hessenthaler dived to stop the ball from crossing.

Barnet had the ball in the back of the net only to be disallowed for a poor refereeing decision. Paul Warhurst was brought down in the cenrtre circle but the ref waited to see if advantage could be played. Within seconds Sinclair had beautifully lobbed the keeper but after the goal had been scored he blew his whistle and signalled for a foul!

Just before half time, Hatch had yet another chance but the crowd's cheers were soon over when realising the referee had blown his whistle. Hatch took advantage of some hesitation in the Mansfield defence and knocked the ball over the advancing goalkeeper and into the net. The linesmen flagged for handball although to many it looked like he had used his head. Hatch was furious at the decision and was booked for dissent.

HT: Barnet 1-0 Mansfield Town

After the interval, Barnet continued to threaten with some more high tempo play as they looked to gain a two goal lead in the tie. Hatch had a header go over before Mansfield were dealt a blow when one of their players were sent off. Coke's angry reaction to Fuller's challenge with a kick at him gave the referee no option other than to give him his second yellow card of the match, to the fan's delight.

Kandol could've put the side a goal up almost instantly after the incident. Sinclair had got threw the defence with the goalkeeper coming out to the side of the penalty area. He did well to delay the play before Sinclair managed to cross a ball to the back post. Kandol's effort from a high ball going further from goal went over.

Next, Danny Reet was to be sent off for the Stags. The substitute had only been on the pitch for minutes before his late lunge on Bailey saw him see red. The challenge saw Nicky Bailey in agony after going off for quite a few treatments throughout the match.

But despite being two men up for the final twenty minutes, the Bees failed to make their advantage count; with Mansfield looking the more likely to score. Flitney misjudged another cross but Charles managed to head clear. Stags keeper Pressman then kicked the ball straight at Kandol but unfortunately for the striker, the ball rebounded wide.

Seconds later and Bailey had an excellent opportunity to add to his goal tally. He managed to dribble pass a few defenders but his shot - with the goalkeeper beaten - hit the post. King struck well from 30 yards but it went over. Fuller's great strike also was deflected wide before Barker had a chance to equalise at the death with his header, but it flew wide. Substitute Damien Batt also had a chance when he was freed down the right but his shot was straight at the keeper.

Five minutes of injury time were added, and in that time Bailey managed to get hurt again. There were a few nervy moments in the final minutes. The whistle being blown was a welcome relief to all the players and the supporters at the ground - a win and a vital three points that helps their survival case.

FT: Barnet 1-0 Mansfield Town

Star Player
Liam Hatch

Took his goal superbly and had opportunities throughout the whole match to score more. Needed the boost he got from the crowd after not having scored all season and rewarded them with the goal.

Player Ratings
Flitney 5
Made a couple of mistakes that would've cost the team if it hadn't been for the heroics of others. Quiet for most of the match but most of the fans were nervous every time the ball came to him. Did keep a clean sheet, though.

Hendon 7
Worked well with Sinclair down the right wing although made a couple of mistakes with his crosses.

Charles 7
Did well to win headers and worked well in defence with Warhurst. He was mainly untroubled and comfortable handling the Mansfield attack.

Warhurst 7
Worked well in defence with Charles and was mainly untroubled and comfortable handling the Mansfield attack.

King 8
Led the line well and did well serving balls to the midfield. Good tackling and strong performance at left-back.

Sinclair 8
Made great runs down the right wing and won numerous corner for the side. Could've got on the score sheet.

Fuller 7
Strong performance - tackled well and worked hard throughout.

Hessenthaler 8
Commanding performance from the midfielder.

Bailey 8
Good set plays despite being injured a few times including being on the end of one harsh challenge.

Hatch 9
Man of the Match. Good goal and worked hard throughout the match. Had other chances too.

Kandol 6
Won some headers but a unusually quieter performance from the hit-man.

Vernazza N/A
Not on for long enough to make an impact.

Vernazza N/A
Not on for long enough to make an impact.

Manager Rating
Paul Fairclough 8

Formation and selection was good and ensured the team didn't slack after the goal, like they have done in recent weeks. Team continued well after half time and got a much-deserved win.

Opponent Rating
Peter Shirtliff 6

After the two player's sending off in the second half made it almost impossible to grab an equaliser. Played some good football in patches but didn't have the necessary qualities in the final third of the pitch with the Barnet defence comfortable.

Observer report by Steve Hartshorn:

Mansfield Town 0 Leyton Orient 1
Lockwood 75 min (pen)

Barnet 1 Mansfield Town 0
Hatch 10 mins

Defeats at home to Leyton Orient and away at Barnet meant that The Stags endured a miserable Easter period and to make matters worse, the away defeat at Barnet also saw both Giles Coke and striker, Danny Reet sent off.

Before the hectic Easter programme hopes were high that Mansfield could still stage a late run into the play off picture, but now following two defeats, eyes are cast at the clutch of desperate sides below The Stags, each fighting hard for League 2 survival. What it means is that with three games to go, the season is far from over for Peter Shirtliff and his young Stags side who it is felt, need at least three more points before being able to cast their minds firmly towards next season's plans.

Saturday saw promotion hunting Leyton Orient visit Field Mill and leave celebrating a precious 1-0 victory that will go along way in helping the London side achieve promotion for the first time in eleven years. However they didn't have things all their own way and should have been at least two goals behind before on 75 minutes, Jake Buxton clearly fouled Barnard inside the area and Lockwood stepped up to convert the penalty. It was tough luck on a Mansfield side who had done everything but score and had made promotion favourites, Orient look anything but.

On 25 minutes a fine ball from Uhlenbeek sent Rundle free on the left hand side, his cross was met by Richard Barker, who although slightly off balance could and indeed should have scored but fired high from five yards out.

Stags continued to create chances whilst the visitors only had one first half effort to show for their endeavours, an effort easily saved by the diving Pressman.

The Stags best opportunity came on 72 minutes when on the halfway line Barker charged down a clearance by Simpson. The big Stags frontman ran on and on with the ball drawing two Orient defenders across towards him and leaving his striking partner, Brown totally free and unmarked, but instead of squaring the ball and giving Brown the task of a simple tap-in, Barker took on the chance himself and fired just wide of the mark. It proved costly for Mansfield who just three minutes later fell behind to what turned out to be the only goal of the game, Lockwood slotting away his spot kick to sent the travelling 600 plus Orient fans into ecstatic scenes of joy.

Bank holiday Monday saw Mansfield travel to the Capital to take on a Barnet side stuck down at the wrong end of the table and desperate for a much need moral and points boosting victory. It turned out to be a day to forget for The Stags, who despite having large amounts of the play in the 1st half, failed to really test Flitney in the Bees goal.

Against the run of play, Mansfield fell behind on 10 minutes when a sweetly hit volley by Liam Hatch flew into the bottom right hand corner of Kevin Pressman's goal. It was tough luck on a Stags side who up until that point had controlled the game and had looked the more likely side to score.

Manager, Peter Shirtliff had decided to make two changes to the starting line up that had lost against Leyton Orient, bringing in Alan Russell for Danny Reet and Stephen Dawson for Gus Uhlenbeek but Stags still seemed slightly out of sorts in the final third, despite fine creative play.

The best Stags chance of the half came when a misjudged bouncing ball was headed towards the Barnet net by Russell but Hessenthaler was on hand to clear off the line before Dawson could get the final touch.

Just before the half time break, Barnet had a second goal ruled out for hand-ball, Hatch receiving a yellow card for his protests. It looked a little harsh on Barnet for at first it looked as if a mix up between Baptiste and Pressman had been punished, Hatch simply tapping home from close range.

Coke had been harshly booked in the first half and that yellow card was to prove costly for the young Stags midfielder when on 54 minutes he reacted to a nasty challenge by Barry Fuller. The Referee booked Fuller and then produced a second yellow for Coke meaning the Stags midfielder had to leave the field of play. Coke was clearly angry about the decision looking visibly upset has he marched down the tunnel to the dressing rooms.

Shirtliff almost at once made changes bringing on Reet and Lloyd for Russell and Rundle but there was further bad news for The Stags boss when on 71 minutes, Danny Reet was shown a straight red by Referee, Wright, much to the amazement of almost all of the 2,784 crowd inside Underhill. It was indeed harsh on the Stags striker, who looked to have won the ball. The tackle seemed hard but fair and not even worthy of a free kick. The Barnet player, Bailey going down in a crumpled heap helping the Referee make his decision.

Stags though tried to carry on playing football despite being down to 9 men. A cross by Uhlenbeek causing problems in the Barnet defence and Charles being on hand to head the ball out for a corner after Flitney had fumbled.

With three minutes to go, a fine cross by Uhlenbeek found Barker but his header went wide when it looked easier to score.

Despite five minutes of added on time, 9 men Mansfield couldn't break down the Barnet defence, who despite having numerical advantage never looked at ease, such was their desperation for all three points.

This coming weekend at Field Mill, Mansfield take on a Carlisle United side who will win promotion if they take all three points. Carlisle who won promotion from the Conference at the end of last season have been on fire of late and will no doubt bring a large and vociferous band of supporters down with them, all hoping to party and celebrate automatic promotion, Mansfield in the meantime will be hoping to force the Champagne to be put on ice and get back to winning ways.



Latest | April 2006