{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2006

13th March 2006 0:06

Mansfield Town 5 - 0 Boston United
Barker 43, Greaves 47 og, Reet 49, Uhlenbeek 62, Brown 81 pen.
Attendance: 3,121 (300 from Boston)

Martin Shaw at Field Mill

Mansfield produced their best 45 minutes of the season to take them to the biggest win since 2003.
Stagsnet Report in the Match centre.

Observer report by Steve Hartshorn:

Mansfield Town 5 Boston United 0
Barker 43, Greaves og 47, Reet 51, Uhlenbeek 62, Brown pen 82

Attendance – 3,121 Visitors 300.

Peter Shirtliff's men turned in a five star performance to easily brush aside Boston United at Field Mill. The result now stretches The Stags unbeaten run to seven games and puts the Club in a healthy 13th place in Coca Cola League 2.
Richie Barker had confidently fired Stags ahead minutes before the half time break, but there was little indication of the up and coming 2nd half onslaught that would see Mansfield hit a further four goals through Greaves og, Reet, Uhlenbeek and Brown.
Shirtliff made just one change from the side that had done so well at Meadow Lane the previous week, Uhlenbeek coming into the side whilst Giles Coke was dropped to the bench.
Mansfield were eager to continue the form that had seen the club begin to climb away from the doubts of relegation and made a confident start against many people's pre-season promotion favourites, Boston United.
Stags could have taken the lead in as early as the 1st minute, but after Pressman's clearance had dropped nicely into the path of Barker, the Stags top goalscorer failed to put his effort on target.
Both teams were scrapping it out without either side being dominant, although on 10 minutes, neat play between Reet and Barker, almost presented Dawson with an attempt on goal but the Stags midfielder failed to get a clear connection.
Barker was next to go close but he failed to make contact with a Reet cross and the chance was gone.
Boston began to come into the game and Jelleyman was forced to block an effort from Simon Rusk. Pressman was also called into action having to save Dudfield's spin and shot.
A good move from Mansfield found Reet racing into the area, however he was forced out a little wide and his effort from a tight angle flew high across the face of the goal.
It was looking that the half was going to end goalless but out of the blue, Richie Barker hammered in his 21st goal of the season. The ball had been crossed into the box by Dawson, but Boston failed to clear properly and when the ball dropped to Barker on the edge of the area, the big Stags striker made no mistake and fired the ball into the bottom right hand corner of the net.
The Stags made a dream start to the 2nd half when on 47 minutes a cross come shot by Uhlenbeek was somehow bungled into his own net by Mark Greaves. Stags celebrated, while Boston clearly knew the game was up. From then on there was only to be one winner, although to their credit, Boston tried to respond but The Stags defence held firm.
It was 3-0 on 51 minutes with the best move of the game. Uhlenbeek fed the ball to Barker, who's confidant back-heel found Reet. Reet then wriggled clear of the last defender and as Kuipers came rushing out, neatly flicked the ball home.
On 57 minutes, Dawson received a knock and was replaced by Giles Coke. Five minutes later, Stags made it four nil. Laurence Wilson set off on a run down the left hand side that saw him neatly beat off several challenges before firing low across the six-yard box where a jubilant Gus Uhlenbeek was on hand to hammer home. Field Mill was alive with cheers and applause.
Wilson almost capped a fine personal display but his long-range shot, although having the Boston keeper well beaten, struck the foot of the post.
On 66 minutes Danny Reet received a standing ovation as he left the field, however there was an even bigger roar for his replacement, Simon Brown. Stags at 4-0 up were going out to rub salt into the Boston wounds.
Neat touches and possession by Mansfield were clearly giving Boston the run around as the visitors failed to cope with a Stags side so evidently full of confidence.
On 82 minutes, Mansfield made it a fabulous five when Brown was tripped in the area. He dusted himself down to make no mistake from the spot, giving Kuipers no chance.
It was as good a performance in the 2nd half as what has been seen at Field Mill for several years. Stags this Saturday have the chance to make ever further progress up the table when they take on promotion chasing Northampton Town (3 pm). Last weekend The Cobblers were beaten at home by league leaders, Carlisle United and will be eager to get back to winning ways, however they face a Stags side high in confidence setting up what could be another cracking game at Field Mill.

Mansfield Town
Pressman, Jelleyman, D'Laryea, Baptiste, Dawson (Coke 57), Uhlenbeek, Barker, Buxton, Hjelde, Wilson (Birchall 78), Reet (Brown 66).
Subs not used; Day, White.

Boston United
Kuipers, Canoville, White, Hall, Rusk, Greaves (Galbraith 55), Talbot, Joachim, Till, Dudfield (McSporran 78), Silk (Melton 57).
Subs not used; McCann, Clarke.

Referee – Mr R Lee.

Observer Man of the match – Laurence Wilson.

CHAD report:
MANSFIELD Town were well and truly 'five alive' on Saturday afternoon as they thumped sorry Boston United in a dominant display at Field Mill.

It signalled that there may be hope yet for Stags to mount a play-off push this season, and on this showing, why not?
The home side, in confident mood, extended their unbeaten run to seven games in spectacular style thanks to goals from Richie Barker, Danny Reet, Gus Uhlenbeek and Simon Brown, along with an own goal from Boston's Mark Greaves.
It was Stags' biggest win since the thrashing of Brian Laws' Scunthorpe United in 2003, which was also a 5-0 home thriller.
Stags made one change to their starting line-up, with Stephen Dawson coming in for Giles Coke, who dropped to the bench.
And there was a welcome return to the squad for Rhys Day who underwent a hernia operation earlier in the year, althoug he too had to settle for a place among the substitutes.
There was also a familair name on the Boston bench in the form of ex-Stags defender Jamie Clarke, who the Pilgrims signed from Rochdale during the January transfer window.
Loanees Michel Kuipers and Asa Hall also lined up for the visitors and defender Alan White returned to the starting line-up after six weeks out.
Stags could have taken the lead as early as the first minute when a long Kevin Pressman kick upfield sailed over a sea of heads and somehow managed to land into the path of Richie Barker, who couldn't keep his shot down.
It was an early let-off for Boston, who looked shaky at the back due to Stags early pressure.
On four minutes, Barker struck another left-foot, but could only slice his effort, which went out for a throw-in.
A neat interchange between Uhlenbeek and Jake Buxton forced a second corner on six minutes, a sign that Stags, who were using the flanks well, were dominating the first exchanges.
And Reet started off a lovely Mansfield move on 10 minutes, playing a neat one-two with Barker, who found the waiting Dawson inside the penalty area, but he failed to control his shot.
Boston's first corner came on 12 minutes from Hall, but Mansfield cleared the danger, as the Pilgrims came into the game a little more, mainly through 14-goal Julian Joachim, a player who once cost Aston Villa £1.5m, who was looking dangerous up front.
On 17 minutes, Buxton played a long ball to Reet, forcing Kuipers to rush out and clear his lines, before the game entered a quiet period, with neither side really threatening. At this point, it looked every inch the end-of-season mid-table battle,with not much to play for.
Another exchange down the right between Dawson and Reet saw an in-swinging cross that almost found Barker, but the big striker just failed to get on the end of it.
There was more Stags pressure just a minute later when a floating Gareth Jelleyman cross found Reet in a shooting position, but the former Sheffield Wednesday man slipped on the sticky surface.
Boston attacked almost immediately after on 29 minutes with some good link-up play instigated by Joachim, but Simon Rusk's shot was brilliantly blocked by Jelleyman as the game sprung into life.
Mansfield's Jon Olav Hjelde was booked on 30 minutes for a foul and almost immediatelty after, Boston had their first real threat at goal, with Dudfield spinning in the penalty area and shooting low at Pressman, forcing the Stags keeper to make a good save.
Experienced ex-Rotherham midfielder Stewart Talbot was booked for a foul on 32 minutes, before Reet was presented with a great chance just yards from goal, but the angle was just too tight and his looping shot went harmlessly wide.
As both sides looked to gain the half time advantage, a long range shot by Dawson on 35 minutes was intercepted by Reet, who spun and shot, but his effort went narrowly wide.
And just as it looked as though the half would end goaless, a beautiful left foot volley by top scorer Richie Barker on 43 minutes ensured Stags went in a goal to the good.
Dawson floated the ball in from the left and after a spot of head tennis inside the area, the ball fell perfectly for the big striker, who timed his shot to perfection, giving Kuipers no chance. It was Barker's 21st goal of the season, a superb tally for the Stags skipper, leading from the front by example.
Stags started strongly in the second half too, with Uhlenbeek forcing a corner almost immediately, and it wasn't long before the second goal came, as Reet's sliced shot on 48 minutes found Uhlenbeek, whose shot was deflected in by the unfortunate Greaves, who didn't know too much about it.
In a bid to get back into the game, Boston forced some pressure, but the Stags back-line was defending stoutly, not letting anything get past them.
And when the third goal came on 49 minutes, it was curtains for the visitors. A beautiful through-ball by the impressive Uhlenbeek found Reet, who wriggled clear before stroking the ball past Kuipers with the outside of his right foot.
A clearly confident Reet, who was having a superb afternoon, shot just wide from the edge of the area on 54 minutes with a speculative left-foot effort.
Dawson received treatment for a knock on 50 minutes, which was to be his last involvement in the game, and he was replaced by Giles Coke.
Uhlenbeek grabbed Stags fourth goal on 61 minutes after some lovely build-up play, started off by Barker from midfield, who nodded down for Laurence Wilson.
Wilson ran down the left channel with ease, teasing the Boston defence with twists and turns, and when his cross was played across the six-yard box, there was the waiting Uhlenbeek to smash home.
Wilson almost got into the goalscoring act on 65 minutes with a 20-yard effort which riquoched off the post, with the keeper clearly beaten.
A loud cheer greeted Simon Brown onto the pitch a minute later, replacing the hard-working Reet, who would have pleased with his contribution.
Boston looked deflated, short of ideas and short of confidence, and it could have been five when Coke broke from defence, feeding the ball to Barker, who knocked it on for Uhlenbeek, but the angle on the shot was just too tight for the much-travelled midfielder.
It was confident stuff from Mansfield, who were dominating every blade of grass, not allowing frustrated Boston anywhere near the ball.
There was also time for a bit of showboating from Alex John-Baptise and Brown, who was twisting and turning around the Boston defence, dropping the shoulder and beating the hapless defenders for pace.
And to rub salt in the Pilgrims wounds, Mansfield were awarded a penalty on 81 minutes when Boston substitute and ex-Forest man Steve Melton brought down Brown, who duly obliged with the spot-kick, smashing it home past Kuipers.
Boston's only effort of a one-sided match came on 88 minutes with a tame header from Hall, which trickled well wide and just about summed up their afternoon.
After the game a delighted Peter Shirtliff said the second half was probably the best display his side had produced all season.
"I thought we played very well," he said. "It was a dour game in the first half and I thought we were a bit hesitant so I told them to try and play the ball around a bit and it made a big difference in the second half.
"I am going to keep the demands on the players. Stephen Dawson came in and did well but he took a nasty knock, which we will have to monitor, but I thought Giles Coke looked fresh when he came on from the bench.
"I thought Alex John-Baptise had a good game, as did Gus (Uhlenbeek), Richie (Barker) and Danny Reet. It was difficult to pick a player who did not make a contribution.
"We have just got to keep it going now and keep on picking up points, and we have to keep the consitancy levels up among the players.
Speaking of Simon Brown's contribution after coming on as a second half substitute, he added: "We are not massive in terms of depth but I just want people to play their part. You can't win matches with 11 players these days, you need subs who can come on and do a job.
"I want the players to have faith in me because I believe I can build a squad that can compete in this league. I don't want to be at the bottom, I want to be at the top and I believe that we can achieve something."
footymad report:
Three goals in eight minutes either side of half-time helped Mansfield to a comprehensive 5-0 win against Boston United and stretched their unbeaten run to seven matches.

Only the woodwork and fine saves from Michel Kuipers spared Boston an even bigger hammering in a one-sided East Midlands derby.

The Stags should have got off to the perfect start, but after latching on to an error from Mark Greaves, player-of-the-month Richie Barker blazed over inside the first minute after Kevin Pressman's long free-kick had caused problems for the Boston central defender.

Two minutes later Barker again failed to hit the target after another free-kick, this time from Wilson, left the Boston defence in disarray for a second time.

For all their dominance in the opening half hour, the home side failed to carve out a clear opportunity and they were almost made to pay when Julian Joachim wriggled clear of Alex John-Baptiste. But after Joachim then released the unmarked Simon Rusk, Gareth Jelleyman slid across to block the danger.

Then Pressman came to the Stags' rescue, superbly diving to keep out Lawrie Dudfield's smart low shot on the turn in the 32nd minute.

As the derby at last came to life, Danny Reet raced on to Gus Uhlenbeek's clever reverse pass, but could only shoot across the face of goal from a tight angle and then the striker hooked wide from 10 yards.

But Barker made no mistake two minutes before half-time, smashing a first-time volley into the bottom corner from 10 yards after Boston yet again failed to clear a free kick, this time from Jake Buxton.

Two minutes after half-time the Stags doubled their lead. Wilson found Reet and when his shot fell to Uhlenbeek, he steered in a drive towards the far post which the unfortunate Greaves could only deflect into his own net from two yards.

Uhlenbeek was again the provider five minutes later as Reet wriggled clear and finished clinically for his fourth goal since signing in January.

The veteran midfielder finally got the goal he deserved in the 63rd minute, tapping in from close range after Wilson's low cross flashed across the goal line.

Two minutes later Wilson struck the post from 25 yards as the rampant Stags chased a fifth goal and then Kuipers' brave save denied Uhlenbeek a second.

Substitute Simon Brown finally completed the rout 10 minutes from time, slamming in from the penalty spot after he was upended by Steve Melton.
match stats (Stags/Boston):
14 Goal Attempts 3
8 On Target 1
5 Off Target 2
1 Hit Woodwork 0
5 Offsides 6
6 Corners 5
12 Fouls 14

Mansfield Town 5 - 0 Boston United
Richie Barker 42m
Mark Greaves 47m own goal
Danny Reet 51m
Gus Uhlenbeek 62m
Simon Brown 83m penalty

Match Date: 11/03/2006

Boston United were left empty-handed as five-goal Mansfield Town romped to a comprehensive victory on Saturday at Field Mill.

After falling a goal behind on 42 minutes, the Pilgrims capitulated in the second half and were hit by four further goals as Mansfield leapfrogged United in the Coca-Cola League Two table.

One crumb of comfort for the Pilgrims was the return of midfielder Steve Melton, who was brought on as a second half substitute. In his first competitive appearance in a Boston shirt for almost one year, Melton showed plenty of neat touches and determination, as many of his colleagues went walkabouts.

Melton was named in the matchday 16 for the first time this season and after a successful loan stint with Tamworth was concluded last month. In one change to the starting line-up that had won at Stockport County on February 25, Peter Till replaced injury victim Chris Holland, who missed out with an Achilles problem. Meanwhile, Brad Maylett was also missing with a groin injury.

The warning signs were evident within the first minute, as Boston had a massive let-off when Richie Barker ballooned over from close-range, after Mark Greaves had inadvertently left the ball for Michel Kuipers to collect, although his decision played his side into no end of trouble.

After a bright opening from the hosts, United finally started to enjoy some possession and Till and Julian Joachim both saw good efforts charged to safety by Jake Buxton and Alex John Baptiste respectively, after Mansfield had only partially cleared a deep Simon Rusk cross.

Pressman made a good save on 33 minutes when he made a diving stop to deny Lawrie Dudfield, who had swivelled on the end of Till's pass to fire goalwards from 12 yards. At the other end, Gus Uhlenbeek did well to fire a ball into the box, but Danny Reet drilled high and wide from 10 yards, when he really should have done better.

Mansfield took the lead three minutes before the break when Barker drilled home, low into the bottom corner from 18 yards, after the Pilgrims had failed to clear a deep free-kick from the home side's left. Moments later, Pressman made a flying save to deny Joachim on the stroke of half-time, but the offside flag was already raised.

United came out with renewed optimism after the break, although Mansfield's lead was doubled on 47 minutes, with Greaves turning the ball into his own net from close-range after Uhlenbeek had drilled a shot across goal. The home side went further ahead four minutes later when Reet rammed the ball home after riding Greaves' last-ditch tackle and sliding a fine shot past a despairing Kuipers.

Boston made a double substitution on 55 minutes when Melton and David Galbraith were introduced in the places of Silk and Talbot, with United reverting to a 3-4-1-2 formation. Till and Galbraith were utilised as wing-backs, while Melton went in behind the front two to make his first appearance for almost a year and Rusk and Asa Hall formed the central duo in midfield.

The change failed to pay immediate dividends though and after Rusk's long-range free-kick flew miles off target, Mansfield made it 4-0 on 62 minutes when Uhlenbeek turned the ball home at the back post, after Laurie Wilson had surged past Alan White to cross from the left.

The home side were now buoyant and Kuipers was left motionless as Wilson blazed goalwards from 25 yards moments later, but his fierce drive came back off the post to leave the Pilgrims clinging on. Mansfield continued their rampage and Kuipers had to make a good save to deny Uhlenbeek from 18 yards as the Stags prowled for number five.

United finally started to string some passes together and Melton's right-wing cross was headed off target by Hall, while another fine delivery from Till went unrewarded towards the end.

However, there was still time for Mansfield to add to their tally after Uhlenbeek's short corner found its way to Brown and he was upended by Galbraith in the box.

Brown stepped up from the spot to send Kuipers the wrong way and complete United's second 5-0 thrashing of 2006. It also sent United's 300 travelling supporters home in a downbeat mood.

Mansfield (4-4-2): Pressman; Buxton, Baptiste, Hjelde, Jelleyman; Uhlenbeek, Dawson (Coke 58), D'Laryea, Wilson (Birchall 78); Barker, Reet (Brown 67). Subs (not used): Day, J White (gk).

Boston (4-3-3): Kuipers; Silk (Melton 55), Greaves, A White, Canoville; Rusk, Talbot (Galbraith 55), Hall; Dudfield (McSporran 78), Joachim, Till. Subs (not used): McCann, Clarke.

Attendance: 3121
Referee: Ray Lee
Linesmen: S Cummins
Wayne McIntosh

4th Official: P Thompson
Latest 15 Match Reports
11 Mar Mansfield Town
25 Feb Stockport County
18 Feb Wycombe Wanderers
11 Feb Grimsby Town
04 Feb Darlington
28 Jan Rochdale
21 Jan Bury
18 Jan Carlisle United
14 Jan Chester City
07 Jan Macclesfield Town
02 Jan Leyton Orient
31 Dec Barnet
26 Dec Lincoln City
17 Dec Cheltenham Town
10 Dec Shrewsbury Town
Upcoming Matches
18 Mar Lincoln City
22 Mar Northampton Town
25 Mar Carlisle United
29 Mar Chester City
01 Apr Barnet

Match Timeline
31m Mansfield Town Jon Olav Hjelde
32m Boston United Stewart Talbot
42m Mansfield Town Scorer: Richie Barker Distance: 18 yards
47m Boston United Scorer: Mark Greaves (own goal) Distance: 2 yards
51m Mansfield Town Scorer: Danny Reet Distance: 12 yards
62m Mansfield Town Scorer: Gus Uhlenbeek Distance: 2 yards
83m Mansfield Town Scorer: Simon Brown (penalty)


Latest | March 2006