{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2006

16th January 2006 0:14

Cruel Defeat For Stags Supporters Side
IFA League 2005/06
Grimsby Town 1 Mansfield Town (FTYBR) 0

It proved to be a frustrating day for all connected with FTYBR FC as the Stags supporters side lost narrowly in the morning to their Grimsby Town counterparts and then went onto watch Stags lose to a promotion hunting Mariners in the afternoon.

The Supporters side were forced into a couple of changes for the game with James Brunt and Drew Stokes unable to attend, Jamie Wheatman moved from his normal left back position to play at centre half and young Conor Tyldsley started in the centre of midfield.

In a blistering opening 25 minutes, the Mansfield side did everything but score as the home side resorted to long clearances many in blind panic. Gary Bird, Ian Hoult and Andy Holmes all had chances of putting The Stags side a goal ahead but the visitors keeper did well to keep his side well into the game.

Jamie Wheatman was unlucky to see his 25 yard free kick drop just over the crossbar this time the keeper was well beaten.

The 1st half ended with The Stags side more than in control and confident of finishing off the job in the 2nd half. However after just 16 seconds The Mariners scored what proved to be the game winning goal. The ball was hit down the left hand side where a fortunate bobble presented Grimsby forward Gary Allwood with a chance from just outside the area. To his credit the Mariners man took it well and fired into the top left hand corner of Nick Sankey's goal.

The fact that Grimsby had taken the lead very much against the run of play galvanised the home side who began to push forward with menace forcing Sankey into one of his usual classy saves and keeping the eager Stags side at bay. Man of the match, Ady Coupe cleared a goal-bound effort off the line as Grimsby pushed for a second goal.

The last 10 minutes saw FTYBR push hard for an equaliser as the home sides legs began to get heavy. James Bird tore down the right hand side skipping past three challenges before crossing. A scramble saw Grimsby hurriedly clear the ball in blind panic.

As the game entered injury time, the ball was entirely inside the Grimsby half as the Stags supporters' side pushed hard for an equaliser. The final chance of the game came when the ball ended up at the feet of Hoult just outside the area but his curling effort flew wide of the upright.

The final whistle was greeted with wild celebrations from the home side that were clearly delighted in beating a Mansfield side that had impressed on recent outings.

Next Weekend, (Abbot Road 11am) FTYBR take on Rochdale IFC hoping to get back to winning ways. The Dale side are old friends and the game is expected to be a tight encounter. The side follow that with a fixture at Darlington before taking on the other MTFC when Macclesfield visit Mansfield on the 4th February.

Squad – Sankey, Coupe, Baxter, Tyldsley, Wheatman, Sharpe, Scothron, Holmes, Hoult, Bird G, Bird J, Brown, Cross, Waddington, Ploughman.

Man of the match –Ady Coupe.


Latest | January 2006