{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2005

26th October 2005 11:02

Livermore leaves it late
By Peter Gardner
Daily Telegraph
Mansfield Town (0) 2 Millwall (1) 3

Millwall secured a place in the fourth round of the Carling Cup for only the second time in 28 years, thanks to a last-minute goal from Dave Livermore.

It enabled Colin Lee's side, struggling at the bottom of the Championship, to overcome a resolute Mansfield, who had beaten Stoke City and Southampton in previous rounds.

Mansfield threatened an upset as they overcame a two-goal deficit to achieve parity with two splendid goals inside a minute.

Millwall had taken the lead in a compelling tie in the 24th minute when Ben May headed in from close range. That lead was doubled in the 61st minute when Paul Robinson headed in Don Hutchinson's corner from the right, a goal that was to spark a dramatic home comeback.

In the 67th minute a long-range effort from Gus Uhlenbeek was pushed onto a post by the Millwall goalkeeper, Andy Marshall, but Simon Brown followed up to halve the deficit.

Sixty seconds later Mansfield were level. Richard Barker, set up by Brown, delivered his eighth goal of the season, only for Livermore to strike in the 89th minute with a 30-yard volley that gave home goalkeeper Kevin Pressman no chance.

Match details

Mansfield (4-4-2): Pressman; Buxton, Hjelde, John-Baptiste, Jelleyman; Uhlenbeek, Coke, D'Laryea, Rundle; Brown, Barker. Subs: White (g), Dawson, Birchall, Jacobs, Littlejohn. Booked: Barker.
Millwall (4-3-3): Marshall; Dunne, Robinson, Lawrence (Braniff 90), Craig; Elliot (Cogan 73), Hutchinson (Morris 73), Livermore; Hayles, May, Asaba. Subs: Masterson (g), Igoe. Booked: May, Dunne, Marshall.
Referee: M Riley (Yorkshire).
The Times October 26, 2005

Livermore kills off Mansfield
By Bill Edgar
Mansfield Town 2 Millwall 3

SEVENTEEN months ago the FA Cup Final, last night a different kind of cup occasion for Millwall, who were thoroughly outplayed by the 90th-ranked team in the country. Only fortune prevented them from becoming the third Coca-Cola Championship victims of Mansfield Town in this season's Carling Cup after Stoke City and Southampton.
Mansfield swarmed over their opponents in the second half but they were stung in the 89th minute when David Livermore smashed in the winner from 25 yards. “We didn't deserve to lose,” Peter Shirtliff, the Mansfield caretaker manager, said. “Even Colin Lee (the Millwall manager) said he couldn't believe they had won.”

Mansfield have improved since Shirtliff replaced Carlton Palmer a month ago, jumping off the bottom of Coca-Cola League Two with two successive 4-0 league wins. Lee said Adam Rundle's crossing last night was “brilliant”, while Simon Brown's pace in attack underpinned their recovery from two goals down.

Millwall fielded almost their strongest available side and took a 24th-minute lead when Ben May headed in Carl Asaba's cross. Paul Robinson's header from a Don Hutchison corner doubled the advantage just after the hour but, soon afterwards, Mansfield scored twice within a minute to level.

Brown bundled home a rebound after Gus Uhlenbeek's drive had been pushed on to a post by Andy Marshall, the goalkeeper, and within a minute Brown teed up Richie Barker to sidefoot home. Barker and Brown might each have scored three, but then Livermore's strike prevented Mansfield from recording their own memorable hat-trick.

MANSFIELD TOWN (4-4-2): K Pressman — J Buxton, J O Hjelde, A John-Baptiste, G Jelleyman — G Uhlenbeek, G Coke, J D'Laryea, A Rundle — R Barker, S Brown. Substitutes not used: S Dawson, A Birchall, J White, K Jacobs, A Littlejohn. Booked: Barker.

MILLWALL (4-3-3): A Marshall — A Dunne, P Robinson, M Lawrence, T Craig — M Elliott (sub: J Morris, 74min), D Hutchison (sub: B Cogan, 74), D Livermore — B Hayles (sub: K Braniff, 90), B May, C Asaba. Substitutes not used: S Igoe, T Masterton. Booked: Marshall, May, Dunne.

Referee: M Riley.
Independent - no report
The Guardian
Livermore's late strike sinks Stags

Millwall have not had much to celebrate this season but Dave Livermore gave them something to cheer last night. The Billy Joel fan gave the Lions a 3-2 Carling Cup win at Mansfield with a big shot in injury-time.
A weakened Millwall side went 2-0 up through Ben May and Paul Robinson but the lowly League Two side hit back with two goals inside two minutes from Simon Brown and Richie Barker. Livermore clinched it with a searing volley.



Latest | October 2005