{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2005

23rd October 2005 10:19

Mansfield 4-0 Barnet

Barker 11 pen, 83, Brown 65, Rundle 69.

Stagsnet player ratings now in the match centre.
BBC report:
Mansfield 4-0 Barnet
Striker Richard Barker struck twice as Mansfield hauled themselves off the bottom of the table.
Nick Bailey headed over early on for Barnet before Simon King brought down Simon Brown in the area and Barker smashed home the resulting spot-kick.

Brown was on hand to steer home Gus Uhlenbeek's cross to make it two, before Giles Coke played a one-two with Adam Rundle who made it three.

Barnet had a goal ruled out before Barker rounded the keeper to net again.
The Chad
Football - Stags 4 Barnet 0
MANSFIELD Town produced another four star display to lift themselves off bottom spot and out the relegation zone at Field Mill this afternoon.
This hammering of fellow strugglers Barnet was the second successive 4-0 home League win for Peter Shirtliff and another boost to his hopes of being named the new full-time Stags boss this week.
Mansfield completely dominated the first half but only had Richie Barker's 11th minute spot kick success to show for it.
But, after weathering a spell of Barnet pressure, they wrapped things up with two goals in three minutes from Simon Brown (65) and Adam Rundle (68) before Barker added his second on 83.
That result, coupled with Torquay's draw with Macclesfield Town lifted Stags out of the bottom two.
"Getting the job full-time is out of my hands and I haven't heard anything," said Shirtliff after the game.
"But I've not got a bad record and I think I've proved I can be a manager. There has definitely been an improvement here. We have taken seven points from six League games and we only took six from the previous nine. We are starting to look a good side now and all credit to the players.
"I am just delighted that they are getting the results their ability and hard work deserves.
"Maybe the score flattered us a little, but we did create a lot of chances.
"For me the most important thing for me was that when we came under pressure in the second half we stood firm and defended well. We put our bodies and heads in where it mattered."
After playing a largely reserve side in the LDV Van Trophy in midweek, Shirtliff's selection saw just one change from the side beaten at Carlisle last weekend.
Jonathan D'Laryea made a solid debut in the centre of midfield, beginning a month's loan from Manchester City. Dawson was the player to make way for him.
The home side began brightly and Jelleyman exchanged passes with Coke before lifting a shot over the bar in the second minute.
Then Barker's challenge on Tynan saw the keeper spill the ball and it ran to Brown who took it out of play before cutting a low cross back into the six yard area.
Stags almost let the visitors in on their first attack on six minutes as a long hopeful ball forward saw Bailey sneak in for a header that dropped just over the bar.
But Mansfield were in front on 11 minutes. A lovely series of passes down the left saw Rundle eventually send Brown into the box. He was going nowhere on the by-line when King body checked him and the referee pointed to the spot.
Up stepped Barker to ram a firm kick down the centre which Tynan got a hand to but couldn't keep out.
It might have been 2-0 two minutes later but Rundle's through ball for Brown saw the striker send a first time shot into the sidenetting.
Barker did well to beat Tynan to a through ball and draw him to the right hand side of his box. But, when he passed the ball at goal, Charles was there to keep it out and tidy up.
A long Uhlenbeek cross found Rundle whose far post volley brought a save out of Tynan.
Then a free kick routine saw the ball rolled to Rundle who fired a low shot just wide of Tynan's left hand post.
Soon after Brown chased another through ball and stretched out a leg as Tynan came rushing to claim. It looked a perfectly legitimate attempt to beat the keeper to the ball. But the referee ruled Brown's challenge was dangerous and booked him.
Brown when furious when Hendon appeared to trip him after the ball had gone and the referee and linesman saw and gave nothing.
The ill feeling continued as John-Baptiste stayed down after a challenge holding his head and Barnet played on. When play was stopped Barker verbally registered his anger which saw Bailey come in and shove the Stags man. Several players were then involved in an angry confrontation before the referee booked Barker and Bailey.
Mansfield came so close to the second goal they desperately needed on 42 minutes.
Buxton hoisted a great ball down the right which put Brown clear on the right of the box. But Tynan beat away his shot and, after a scramble, the ball ran for Uhlenbeek whose blast brought another superb parry out of Tynan.
The overworked keeper was back in action shortly after as Rundle fed Jelleyman for a cross that Brown headed on target.
But, despite their dominance, the home side had to settle for a single goal interval lead.
The second half started on another controversial note as Uhlenbeek tried to burst past Sinclair in the box, went down, and was booked for diving.
Sinclair saw a shot hit a defender in a rare Barnet raid and Pressman safely caught the resulting corner.
On 61 minutes Sinclairs' header forward almost put Grazioli in, but Pressman was alert to snatch the ball away at the last minute.
A long free kick to Mansfield's far post saw the visitors get their first shot on target as Bailey volleyed straight at Pressman.
It was a worrying time as Stags defended deeply with Barnet having their best spell.
But the crucial second goal finally arrived on 65 minutes to ease home nerves.
Stags broke quickly and it seemed Uhlenbeek had wasted the initiative as his through ball for Brown was cut out by a defender. But Coke rescued the move as he again fed Uhlenbeek who crossed hard and low for Brown to sweep home a finish at the near post.
Three minutes later it was 3-0. A short corner saw the ball worked to Coke and he slipped in Rundle for a low shot that flew under Tynan.
Barnet did have the ball in the net from an inswinging corner on 70 minutes, but the referee had spotted pushing before it went over the line off a defender's head.
Barker pulled a shot wide from 20 yards soon after as Stags went in search of a fourth. Rundle also hit one just wide from a similar distance.
Tynan won a chase to the edge of his box to clear ahead of the incoming Barker. The ball reached D'Laryea who tried to hit the empty net from 40 yards and was not far off.
Barnet sub Norville had only been on the field a few seconds when Soares' cross reached him. But he flicked a free header wide from six yards right in front of goal.
Barker registered his second goal of the afternoon to wrap things up on 83 minutes. Coke's through ball was perfect as was Barker's first touch to steer it wide of the advancing Tynan and leave it placed to steer into the empty net.
Barnet continued to seek a consolation and Bat had a first time shot deflect narrowly wide.
Littlejohn should have made it 5-0 two minutes from time after being gifted a backpass from Lee. But he somehow managed to place his finish wide as he rounded Tynan.
Barker also came close as he bundled a shot wide when Tynan was forced to head away a high backpass.
But the afternoon ended with Stags cheered from the field while visiting boss Paul Fairclough kept his players on the pitch for over 20 minutes for an inquest after they failed to win for an 11th successive League game.


Striker Richard Barker struck twice as Mansfield hauled themselves off the bottom of the table.
Nick Bailey headed over early on for Barnet before Simon King brought down Simon Brown in the area and Barker smashed home the resulting spot-kick.

Brown was on hand to steer home Gus Uhlenbeek's cross to make it two, before Giles Coke played a one-two with Adam Rundle who made it three.

Barnet had a goal ruled out before Barker rounded the keeper to net again.


Mansfield: Pressman, Jelleyman, Baptiste, Buxton, Hjelde, Uhlenbeek (Dawson 86), Coke, Rundle, D'Laryea, Barker, Brown (Littlejohn 80).
Subs Not Used: Birchall, White, Jacobs.

Booked: Brown, Barker, Uhlenbeek, Jelleyman.

Goals: Barker 11 pen, Brown 65, Rundle 69, Barker 83.

Barnet: Tynan, Hendon, King (Batt 72), Charles, Yakubu, Bailey (Norville 76), Lee, Sinclair, Graham (Hatch 45), Soares, Grazioli. Subs Not Used: Flitney, Strevens.

Booked: King, Bailey, Hatch.

Att: 2,809

Ref: C Boyeson (E Yorkshire).
Mansfield 4-0 Barnet

By John Carpenter
Date: 22/10/2005

Barnet crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season against bottom of the table Mansfield. Barnet now haven't won a league game since August and today's defeat makes next week's game at home to Rushden & Diamonds very important.

Mansfield Town 4-0 Barnet

Saturday 22 October 2005

Coca Cola League Two

Field Mill, Attendance - 2809

Barnet started with a 4-5-1 formation with King and Yakubu coming back into the side and Scott Tynan retaining his place in goal after Tuesday's LDV match.

Barnet's first and only chance of the first half fell to Nicky Bailey in the opening minutes. The midfielder latched onto a long ball and headed the ball over Pressman only to see the ball drop wide of the right hand post.

Soon after, Mansfield took the lead. Simon Brown, who was to be a thorn in Barnet's side throughout, latched onto a through ball in the area. With the striker going away from goal and no support forthcoming Simon King rashly lunged in and the referee had no choice but to award Mansfield the penalty. Richard Barker blasted the penalty down the middle to make the score 1-0 to Mansfield despite Tynan getting a strong hand to it.

Minutes later Mansfield nearly doubled their lead, Simon Brown lashing his shot just wide from inside the area after good work from Coke.

Adam Rundle then had a chance to score but could only shoot straight at Tynan from close range after a good run and cross from the right by Uhlenbeek.

A minute later a well worked free kick by Mansfield saw the ball roll to Adam Rundle , but the winger could only drive his ball wide of goal from just outside the area.

The pace from the Mansfield wide areas and forward line was a constant threat as Barnet continued to keep possession amongst the back four. A slip by Yakubu let in D'Laryea whose ball to Barker put him through on goal. Tynan closed the angle down well and forced the striker to cross the ball across the face where it was tentatively cleared by Charles.

Mansfield missed a glorious chance to double the lead just before the break as Scott Tynan pulled off a tremendous double save. A ball over the top from Rundle found the Barnet defence flat footed and allowed Simon Brown through, but Brown could only fire at Tynan from a tight angle. Tynan parried the shot but the rebound fell to the unmarked Uhlenbeek whose stinging shot from close range was also parried away by Tynan.

At half time Barnet reverted to a 4-4-2 formation with Liam Hatch replacing Richard Graham.

This led to Barnet pushing further up the pitch in search of an equaliser, keeping a high line which was to be exposed time and again throughout the second half. Despite masses of possession at the start of the second half, Barnet created little as the movement was lacking and the midfielders had no intention of dribbling at the Mansfield defence.

In the 61st minute Barnet had their first shot on target of the match, Nicky Baileys drive easily saved by Pressman. Three minutes later Mansfield made it 2-0, courtesy of Man of the Match Simon Brown. Careless play in the midfield handed possession to Mansfield who broke quickly. A good ball through found Uhlenbeek on the wing, whose cross found Brown unmarked in the box, who tapped the ball home from close range.

Three minutes later Mansfield wrapped up the three points through Adam Rundle. Gus Uhlenbeek's initial effort from outside the area was well saved by Tynan at the expense of a corner. Poor marking by Barnet from the corner gave Mansfield all the time in the world to take a short corner, and Hjelde's pass to Rundle found him in acres of space and he smashed the ball past Tynan to put the Stags 3-0 up.

Barnet created their two best chances of the half soon after. Firstly Soares' corner flew straight into the net but was correctly ruled out after Hatch had barged Pressman over the line as the corner was swung in. Then substitute Norville missed a sitter, failing to connect properly with his head from close range after a good cross from Hendon.

Barnet were still struggling at the back and Mansfield were still creating chance after chance. Firstly, Barker shot wide from outside the area after Barnet once again lost possession in midfield. The D'Laryea really should have done better after being put through by Coke, but could only shoot wide from the edge of the area under no pressure.

In the 82nd minute Mansfield made it 4-0 as Richie Barker scored his second goal of the game. A swift counter-attack found Coke on the right and his precision pass found Barker who finished well passed Tynan from the edge of the area.

A corner by Louis Soares summed up Barnet's day, as it flew straight out of play and into the away end without even touching the pitch.

In the dying seconds Barnet nearly let in a farcical fifth. A misplaced backpass by Hendon forced Tynan to head clear off the line under pressure from Littlejohn.

Mansfield: Pressman, Jelleyman, Baptiste, Buxton, Hjelde, Uhlenbeek (Dawson 86), Coke, Rundle, D'Laryea, Barker, Brown (Littlejohn 80).
Subs Not Used: Birchall, White, Jacobs.

Goals: Barker 11 (pen), Brown 65, Rundle 69, Barker 83.

Barnet: Tynan, Hendon, King (Batt 72), Charles, Yakubu, Bailey (Norville 76), Lee, Sinclair, Graham (Hatch 45), Soares, Grazioli. Subs Not Used: Flitney, Strevens.

Referee: C Boyeson
Jonathan Sugar

An out of sorts Barnet side suffered their second successive league defeat at Mansfield Town this afternoon.

In truth, the 4-0 scoreline in favour of the home side may have flattered the Bees who had goalkeeper Scott Tynan to thank for keeping the score down.

Barnet, who started with a four-five-one formation, recalled Giuliano Grazioli, Simon King, Dwane Lee, Richard Graham and Anthony Charles following the midweek win over Bristol City in the LDV Vans Trophy.

Both sides started tentatively, with Gareth Jellyman and Nicky Bailey failing to hit the target early on for either side. However, it was the Stags who were to get the games opening goal courtesy of a Richard Barker penalty kick in the 11th minute, after Referee Boyeson adjudged Simon King's challenge on Simon Brown was a foul.

Mansfield were buoyed on by the early goal and began to pass the ball around with fluency and confidence and could have added a second goal just two minutes later, although Brown's effort flashed narrowly wide.

Barnet were struggling to retain possession of the ball, as the Stags began to dominate the midfield.Barker nearly claimed his second goal of the game after he beat the offside trap, although Tynan narrowed the angle and forced the striker's weak effort to be easily cleared by the retreating Charles on the Barnet goal line.

As the half progressed, Barnet's passing game began to disintegrate and Grazioli, as the lone striker, was an isolated figure in the Bees attack. Louis Soares showed some bright spells down the Barnet right, although the service into the Bees front man was sadly lacking.

As half time approached, Tynan pulled off a splendid double save from Brown and Gus Uhlenbeek to prevent the Bees from falling further behind, whilst another effort from Brown went straight at Tynan.

Liam Hatch replaced Graham at half time as Barnet reverted to a four-four-two formation and the big Barnet front man won a succession of early headers to buoy on the travelling contingent of away fans.

Nicky Bailey saw a left footed effort held by Kevin Pressman as Barnet began to see more of the ball in the opening stages in the second half. However, following a Bees attack Mansfield broke quickly to extend their lead.

Uhlenbeek received the ball on the Bees left, and although his initial cross was blocked by Bailey, his second attempt found Brown (64) who side-footed home from 6 yards.

The second goal appeared to knock back any hopes of a Barnet comeback and as was the case in the first half, the home side began to dominate once more.

Uhlenbeek saw a further effort saved by Tynan, although from the resulting corner the Stags were to get their third goal when Giles Coke played a one-two with Adam Rundle (68) who made it three.

Barnet then had a goal disallowed when a Soares corner went directly into the Stags net, although Hatch was adjudged to have fowled Pressman in the Mansfield goal.

Fairclough introduced Norville and Batt and the former had a great chance to reduce the scoreline but his header flash wide.

Mansfield made the Bees pay for their miss when they raced up the other end and Stags substitute Andrian Littlejohn slid threw an inch perfect pass to Barker (82) who rounded Tynan, before slotting the ball into the empty net.

Barnet could have conceded a fifth late on as backpasses from Charles and Hendon fell short, although on both occasions Tynan was there to block efforts from Littlejohn and Barker.

It was a disappointing day for the Bees, who know they can play much better than they did this afternoon. However, minds now switch to Wednesday and the Carling Cup tie away to Manchester United at Old Trafford. The Bees then face Rushden and Diamonds at Underhill next Saturday hoping to bounce back from today's result.



Latest | October 2005