{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2005

20th August 2005 23:35

Peterborough United 2 - 0 Mansfield Town
Farrell 49, St Ledger 60.

Attendance: 4056 (859 from Mansfield)

Martin Shaw at London Road

Mansfield Town put in a shocking second half performance at London Road this afternoon to be beaten 2-0 by an average Peterborough side. The Stags had started brightly in the first half, but the second half was easily the worst display since the home defeat by Oxford last season.

Man of the match: Richie Barker
CHAD report:
Stags flop in second half horror show at Peterborough
STAGS' worst 45 minutes of the season proved costly this afternoon as they were shot down by two second half goals at Peterborough United.
The visitors were the better side in the first half and could have gone ahead when Richie Barker spurned a headed chance.
Indeed, Peterborough couldn't muster a shot on target in the first half.
But Mansfield produced nothing in a dire second half showing and were undone by David Farrell who headed Posh in front on 50 minutes before setting up Shaun St Ledger for the second 10 minutes later.
Mansfield were without keeper Kevin Pressman, who was ruled out after suffering a spasm in his back, White replacing him in an otherwise unchanged 4-4-2.
Stags made a superb start, winning two early corners, and Rundle drove a powerful shot straight at Tyler after exchanging passes with Tipton at a free kick.
Posh were down to 10 men for nine minutes after Plummer left the field with a cut head.
Mansfield successfully defended the home side's first two corners in the 16th minute as Posh finally relieved the pressure on them.
A half-cleared corner saw Day head Dawson's cross straight at the keeper on 22 minutes as Stags resumed their offensive.
Barker then wasted a golden chance on 29 as he powered a free header over from 15 yards after meeting Rundle's perfect cross.
Newton was booked for a foul on Rundle on 34 minutes.
And, after Farrell had headed a Newton cross over the bar, St Ledger was also booked, again for a foul on Rundle.
Peterborough ended the half with a run of four straight corners. But Mansfield held firm for the half-time whistle.
However, the home side snatched a 50th minute lead through Farrell.
Quinn headed St Ledger's cross back across goal and Farrell made no mistake from close range.
Brown replaced Tipton on 53 minutes as Palmer made his first change.
Buxton was harshly booked on 55 minutes for what looked an excellent tackle on Newton. The free kick was taken by Burton whose low ball was touched just wide by Quinn.
John-Baptiste replaced Buxton on the hour. But, within seconds, it was 2-0.
Farrell crossed long from the left and St Ledger was allowed to get in a far post header which he steered under the far angle.
Posh swapped Semple for Newton and Stags brought on Uhlenbeek for the tiring Rundle.
Jelleyman's name was added to the book on 74, presumably for something he said.
Peers was lucky when White just reached his poor backheader ahead of the alert Quinn.
A double switch for Posh on 78 minutes saw Benjamin replace Quinn and Logan replace Farrell - the home side's two danger men.
Stags forced their first corner of the second half in the four minutes of stoppage time but never looked likely to find a way back into the contest.
The first Mansfield shot of the half came in stoppage time as Barker's free kick deflected wide into Brown's path. But, from a tight angle, he forced Tyler into a save at his near post.
There was still time for Gain to be booked for putting in a cross after the referee had blown for an infringement.
Peterborough United Official Site:

Mansfield Town made a dominant start to the game, winning several early corner kicks as they piled on the pressure looking for the opening goal of the fixture. Rundle tested Tyler with a fierce drive after a well-worked move by the visitors.

Posh were reduced to 10-men for the third game in a row as Plummer departed the pitch, but this time it was to receive treatment as the centre half suffered a nasty cut above his eye following an aerial challenge with Tipton.

Posh responded well after withstanding plenty of pressure with Day tricking past the defender and delivering a low centre which just eluded Quinn. The resulting corner saw Arber get in front of his marker, but his shot was blocked at the near post.

After seven minutes off the field, Plummer returned to the action and took his place at the heart of the Posh defence once more. Day saw a towering header well gathered by Tyler on 20 minutes as the Stags continued to create chances.

Posh had appeals for a spot-kick turned down when Quinn took a tumble under the challenge of Day with the hosts playing some neat football. At the other end, Barker wasted a good chance after meeting a teasing centre from Buxton, but he headed over the crossbar from eight yards.

A great piece of individual skill from Gain saw him trick past two defenders on 34 minutes, but his long-range effort took a deflection and Farrell was adjudged to have been offside. A long goal kick from Tyler picked out Newton on 41 minutes, he held the ball up and then beat the defender before delivering a teasing cross, which Farrell headed over the top.

The deadlock was broken on 50 minutes and it was a well-worked goal with St. Ledger delivering an expert ball to the back post, Quinn knocked it into the path of FARRELL and he cushioned the ball over the line with his forehead.

Burton saw a free-kick deflect off Quinn and drift inches wide after Newton's pace had caused problems for the Stags back-line. Posh doubled their lead just after the hour mark as a teasing hanging centre from Farrell was met by a powerful header from ST. LEDGER who buried his first competitive goal for the football club.

Dawson flashed a shot wide of the right hand post after a forceful run before Posh made their first substitution as Ryan Semple replaced Newton on the right wing. Mark Wright's side were looking comfortable midway through the second period with Arber impressive at the centre of Posh's defence.

Farrell and Quinn were both given standing ovations as they were withdrawn as Richard Logan and Trevor Benjamin were introduced. Man of the Match Gain was showing some excellent touches in the midfield areas in tight circumstances as Posh attempted to play out the game without any alarms.

After four minutes of stoppage time, the fans rose to acclaim a comfortable victory as Posh recorded back to back victories and claimed the first clean sheet of Mark Wright's reign.

Final Score: Peterborough United 2-0 Mansfield Town

Posh: Tyler, Carden, Burton, Arber, Farrell (sub Logan 79min), Gain, Newton (sub Semple 65min St. Ledger, Plummer, Quinn (sub Benjamin 78min), Day. Unused subs: Harrison, Boucaud.

Mansfield: White, Peers, Jelleyman, Day, Dawson, Barker, Tipton (sub Brown 53min), Birchall, Buxton (sub Baptiste 60min), McLoughan, Rundle (sub Uhlenbeek 72min). Unused subs: Coke, Beardsley.

Referee: Mr S Dorr


Latest | August 2005