{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2005

6th August 2005 22:31

Audio interview with Peter Shirtliff from BBC Radio Nottingham (RealPlayer needed)

Evening Post website
Stockport boss Chris Turner was pleased with the early signs on show as his side battled back from a two-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 draw with Mansfield in their first game back in the bottom tier.

Former County boss Carlton Palmer looked to be in for a happy return to Edgeley Park when his Mansfield side stormed into a 2-0 lead after 32 minutes, but a second-half brace from Stockport debut boy Jermaine Easter earned his side a deserved share of the spoils.

Turner said: "I'm very pleased with that performance, especially in the second half. Having said that, though, even when we were two down at half-time I told the lads that this game was not over.

"They only had three chances in the first half, and scored from two of them, that was disappointing. But after the break we got more balls into the box and in the end it paid off for us.

"We even had chances to win it in the last 20 minutes, if we'd have had Alan Shearer up front we probably would have done."

But that's taking nothing away from Stockport's two-goal hero Easter, who hooked home a smart shot on 48 minutes and then bundled home a close-range header on 67.

Turner added: "Jermaine has got tremendous pace and he can create openings, that's why I brought him here. To score two goals like that at any level is pleasing, a centre-forward has got to get into those positions in the first place.

"Generally I'm not disappointed at all, it's a long season we've got ahead but it was important we didn't get beaten at home. A lot of my players are still on a learning curve at this stage."

Meanwhile, Mansfield's assistant manager Peter Shirtliff appeared happy with the draw.

Mansfield had gone into a two-nil lead at the break thanks to goals from Steve Dawson and Adam Birchall but let that lead slip to Easter's double.

Shirtliff said: "I think overall a draw was a fair result, we were a bit lucky to be two-nil up at half-time I suppose. The early (second half) goal helped their momentum, while we didn't retain possession enough.

"We were forced to weather a bit of a storm, but unfortunately we didn't do that and they scored again. We gave away the ball in too many good areas, but towards the end either side could have nicked it."



Latest | August 2005