HASLAM - SAFETY ISSUES WILL BE RESOLVED
Haslam: "Safety Issues Will Be Resolved...."
Stags chairman Keith Haslam has moved to reasure supporters that the clubs current safety issues will all be resolved by the start of the new campaign.
With confusion rife amongst supporters over the current capacity reduction down at field mill for the pre season friendlies, chairman Keith Haslam has used this weeks edition of the Mansfield Chad newspaper to tell supporters that the "couple of issues with the Safety Advisory Group should be resolved by the start of the new season"
Field Mill currently has a reduced capacity whilst these issues are ironed out. Currently the attendance can't go above 4,676, with the away end holding just 955, which is the amount of tickets Sheffield Wednesday have received for next weeks friendly game. As a consequence the Lower West Stand is expected to remain closed for this game, although many fans feel that part of it will house the over spill of visiting fans for the game, simply due to the fact that Wednesday will want to bring many more than the tickets offered to them.
SSA are aware that the ground capacity at Field Mill has been cut considerably by the Safety Advisory Group following the clubs failure to prove that recommended safety work had been completed before the annual ground inspection. SSA are represented and enjoy a good working relationship with the Safety Advisory Group and completely respect and support their decision as supporter safety has to be of paramount importance. Although some safety issues have been outstanding for some time SSA now understand that the club are working to resolve these issues as soon as possible. Having discovered that the friendly match with Sheffield Wednesday has now been made all ticket, we were bitterly disappointed at the increased admission charges announced for this game, particularly as all friendly prices were announced at £10 some time ago. However, SSA are very pleased that the football club have changed their mind and the admission charges will be as previously advertised, £10 adults, £5 Concessions.
Stags hit by stadium safety fear
Safety officials have restricted attendance at a Mansfield Town's ground after it was discovered fire prevention work had not been completed.
The prohibition notice halves the capacity at Field Mill to 5,000 until the work is finally completed.
Club spokesman John Sidney says upcoming matches will go ahead and safety will not be compromised.
He admitted safety certificates were not available when inspectors visited the ground, but were later located.
The prohibition notice was issued following an annual safety inspection at Field Mill.
An advisory group - including county and district councils and the emergency services - failed to receive certificates showing electrical equipment had been tested.
A 50% reduction does make life difficult for us
John Sidney, Field Mill safety officer
"It was a great shock when the notice was issued but it all hinged on the lightning conductors," Mr Sidney said.
"They had been tested and report sent but those reports could not be found."
There was a total ban on spectators for several days before a match against Derby County last week, but that was lifted when the safety reports were found.
The latest prohibition relates to unfinished fire prevention work that must be completed to fulfil building regulations.
He said the club has been without a full-time safety officer for several months.
"I have just taken up the post so that has been resolved," he added.
"A 50% reduction does make life difficult for us as it means we can only have 955 visiting fans in the north stand instead of 1800."
The club has two friendly matches against Huddersfield and Sheffield United before the League Two season begins.
Latest | July 2005