{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2005

17th July 2005 23:56

Tudgay 34.
Att: 4,000 (1,402 from Derby)

White, Peers, Buxton, Day, Talbot, Uhlenbeek, Palmer, Dawson, Tipton, Barker, Birchall.
SUBS: McIntosh (HT), John-Baptiste (HT), Priet (HT), Jelleyman (HT), McLachlan (HT), Coke (HT), Lloyd (HT), Rundle (HT), Brown (HT), Beardsley (HT).
Sub not used: Pressman.

REFEREE: Russell Booth.

The Stags played a French trialist, Nicolas Priet, in the second half. A tall centre half, he was with Lyon during the 2002/2003 season, without making an appearance. He then joined Leicester from July 2003 to July 2004, making one League Cup sub appearance. In the 2004/2005 season, he was with Doncaster, making 7 league appearances, 1 League Cup and 2 LDV Vans appearances, without scoring a goal and picking up 3 yellow cards.

Des Walker missed the game with a back injury.

Football Post Match Report:

Freak goal hits unlucky Stags:

MANSFIELD Town slipped to a 1-0 defeat against Derby County here this afternoon, but with 21 players used by manager Carlton Palmer, it will have proved to be a valuable exercise.

A bizarre goal separated the two sides. Rams striker Marcus Tudgay was adjudged to have got the last touch after a collision in the 34th minutes between himself, Mansfield's keeper Jason White and Stags defender Jake Buxton.

Mansfield had chances but rarely troubled Lee Camp in the Derby goal.

Palmer began his side's opening to the pre-season with seven new faces in the home side's line-up, including his own first appearance since he was officially made manager.

Gus Uhlenbeek, Adam Birchall and Stephen Dawson all joined Palmer in the Stags' midfield. Gavin Peers began at right back, while Jason Talbot made his first start since signing on a full-time basis from Bolton. Matt Tipton was also given a start up front alongside Richie Barker.

Rams manager Phil Brown also gave starts to several new players. Mark Edworthy, signed from Norwich City, started at right back while Andrew Davies, a loan signing from Middlesbrough, partnered Mo Konjic in the middle of the Rams' defence. Jaime Jordan, currently on trial at Pride Park, was given a start in the middle of the Rams midfield alongside his Spanish compatriot Inigo Idiakez.

Morten Bisgard was first to threaten for Derby down Mansfield's left, but his cross was easily dealt with by the young Jason White in the Stags' goal. Moments later Peers was penalised for handball on the edge of the Mansfield area, but Idiakez's free kick was weak and easily cleared.

Tipton went close to giving Mansfield the lead after 18 minutes. Palmer sprayed the ball wide to Uhlenbeek on the right wing and his low cross was met by Tipton at the near post, but he directed his header just wide.

Mansfield were proving they were capable of competing with the Rams.

Uhlenbeek's cross from the right caused problems for Derby in the 28th minute, with some of the home fans feeling there was a case for a penalty when Birchall went down under pressure from Davies, but the referee saw nothing wrong.

Six minutes later Derby were in front through a bizarre goal. Jordan lofted a seemingly innocuous high ball into the Mansfield area, but keeper White collided with Derby's Marcus Tudgay and his own defender Jake Buxton.

The ball then rolled into an empty net, and Tudgay claimed the goal.

Mansfield were almost back in it when Uhlenbeek's right-wing cross fell kindly for Birchall inside the Rams' box. Birchall turned to fire a shot from eight yards out, but his effort was well saved by Lee Camp.

The goal seemed to give Derby a bit more confidence and Tommy Smith was causing problems for Peers down the Rams' left side.

Shortly before the break, Davies was penalised for high feet, but Parker's (Barker's!) free kick was comfortably blocked.

Palmer took the opportunity to completely change his line-up for the start of the second period. The only player to remain on the pitch for Mansfield was goalkeeper White.

Striker Chris Beardsley, returning to the club following a spell at Kidderminster, took up a lone striker's role as Mansfield pressed for an equaliser. After a quiet opening to the second period, Beardsley showed neat skill in the 63rd minute when he volleyed a Peers left footed shot from 12 yards out, but Camp did well to get down and smother the ball.

Five minutes later, Scott Gemmill, the former Forest midfielder who replaced Idiakez at half-time for the Rams, then went close for the visitors.

Following a corner, the ball fell to Gemmill on the edge of the Mansfield box, and he fired in a low right-footed volley through a crowd of players, which gave White little time to react, but the youngster did well to get down and smother the ball.

Adam Rundle, brought on at the break on the left side of Mansfield's midfield, was proving to be a handful for Derby's Richard Jackson, who himself had been brought on in place of Jeff Kenna at right back in the 53rd minute.

First Rundle combined well with Callum Lloyd before sending over a dangerous low cross from the left wing which Jamie Vincent did well to clear.

Then in the 70th minute, Rundle went close with a speculative left-footed shot from the left side, which went close to clipping Camp's bar.

Charles (Giles!) Coke, another Stags sub, hit a weak left-footed volley in the 78th minute, but it failed to trouble Camp.
Gareth Davis at Field Mill
Marcus Tudgay's 34th-minute goal was enough to get pre-season underway with a victory as the Rams got life under Phil Brown going in splendid sunshine at Field Mill.

Tudgay got the slightest of toe-ends to Jaime Jordan's left-wing cross to embarrass home goalkeeper Jason White and poke the ball through his legs.

White redeemed himself with a fine second-half save from Scot Gemmill's low shot, while his opposite number Lee Camp turned in an assured performance with two good stops.

Brown used the game to give his on-trial trio Jaime, Gemmill and Artim Sakiri (pictured) 45 minutes each as all of his squad got a run-out, while there was also a first senior appearance for Academy Player of the Year Lionel Ainsworth.

Inigo Idiakez lined up in midfield for the first half, while Polish striker Grzegorz Rasiak came off the bench at half-time.

Derby began the Phil Brown era in bright sunshine at Field Mill as the 2005/06 pre-season campaign got underway with a friendly against Mansfield Town.

There was another chance for Jaime Jordan to shine in midfield alongside his Spanish compatriot Inigo Idiakez as Brown picked a strong side.

Mo Konjic joined Andrew Davies in the centre of defence, flanked either side by Marc Edworthy on the right and skipper Jeff Kenna on the left.

Tommy Smith, Morten Bisgaard and Adam Bolder completed the midfield, with Marcus Tudgay the lone front-man.

Not surprisingly for a first outing there was a slow opening to the game, but on nine minutes the Rams came close to breaking the deadlock through Jaime's bullet ten-yard shot that flashed just over after good work by Smith.

Ex-Ram Jason Talbot, who had a month's loan at PridePark in the early stages of the 2004/05 campaign, lined up at left-back for Mansfield and was soon into the action with a crunching tackle on Bolder.

The Stags had a good chance on 18 when player-manager Carlton Palmer released Gus Uhlenbeek down the right, and Matthew Tipton's near-post header flashed just wide.

Uhlenbeek was again a danger on the right as the half-hour mark approached with another wicked cross that Stephen Dawson stabbed at eight yards from goal, but Edworthy was well-positioned to block.

Although there was little by way of goalmouth action the game was being played largely in Derby's half, but Konjic and Davies were looking particularly assured and giving little away.

But the Rams took the lead on 34 minutes and in quite comedic circumstances. Jaime lifted a ball into the Mansfield box from the left which caused hesitancy between centre-half Jake Buxton and goalkeeper Jason White.

Tudgay got there first with the slightest of touches to poke the ball through White's legs, leaving the custodian an agonising and ultimately unsuccessful run back to his line in an attempt to prevent the goal.

Almost immediately the Stags had a very good chance to equalise when Adam Birchall turned 12 yards out and cracked in a low shot, but Lee Camp was down well to save.

Mansfield had some pressure of their own as the half came towards a close with Tipton's right-wing corner being dealt with by the head of Konjic, while the defensive wall stood firm against Richard Barker's driven free-kick.

Brown used the half-time break to change things around among his squad with Jamie Vincent, Scot Gemmill, Artim Sakiri and Grzegorz Rasiak replacing Edworthy, Idiakez, Jaime and Tudgay.

The Stags chose to take off all ten of their outfield players with only goalkeeper White surviving the cull by Palmer.

Kenna lasted only seven minutes of the half before being replaced at right-back by Richard Jackson following a heavy tackle, although the Irishman didn't appear to be suffering too badly.

Bolder was an inch away from getting his head to Bisgaard's delightful right-wing cross in the second half's first attack of serious note.

Camp proved his sharpness was all there with a fine save on the hour, diving away to his left to grab and hold Chris Beardsley's snap-shot from the edge of the six-yard box.

That was followed by two more Rams changes with Pablo Mills coming on at centre-half in place of Davies, and Paul Peschisolido taking over from Smith.

Derby won a free-kick on 66 minutes that Sakiri drove into the wall, but the rebound broke to Gemmill who fired in a low 25-yard shot that White was down to, although he could only clutch the ball at the second attempt.

On 70 minutes came another change, and the end of Bolder's afternoon. The combative midfielder had enjoyed a typically hard-working performance full of endeavour, and he had earned his rest with Nathan Doyle on to replace him.

Lionel Ainsworth was next to enter the action on 74 minutes, for his first taste of senior football with the Rams. The speedster, Derby's Academy Player of the Year for 2004/05, replaced Bisgaard on the right of midfield.

That left only 16-year-old Giles Barnes and goalkeeper Lee Grant left on the bench, with both hoping to get pre-season underway with a run-out.

Derby ended the 90 minutes in the ascendancy with White flapping a Vincent cross away from the head of Doyle, but there were no further additions to the score.

RAMS: Camp, Kenna (Jackson 52), Edworthy (Vincent HT), Davies (Mills 62), Konjic, Idiakez (Gemmill HT), Bolder (Doyle 70), Jaime (Sakiri HT), Tudgay (Rasiak HT), Bisgaard (Ainsworth 74), Smith (Peschisolido 62).

SUBS: Grant, Barnes.

MANSFIELD: White, Peers, Palmer, Day, Dawson, Uhlenbeek, Barker, Tipton, Talbot, Buxton, Birchall.

SUBS: Pressman, Beardsley (HT), McLachlan (HT), John-Baptiste (HT), Priet (HT), Jelleyman (HT), Coke (HT), Lloyd (HT), Rundle (HT), Brown (HT), McIntosh (HT).

ATTENDANCE: 4,000 (1,402 visiting supporters).

REFEREE: Russell Booth.


Latest | July 2005