BARKER BANKING ON THE RETURN OF WARNE
BARKER BANKING ON THE RETURN OF WARNE
Evening Post, 15 April 2005
Richie Barker admits he would love to see his former Rotherham team-mate Paul Warne back at Field Mill.
Barker, the only recognised first team striker in the squad for tomorrow's game against Darlington, says the young players at Mansfield would benefit from the addition of Warne.
And Carlton Palmer has confirmed he is hoping to secure a deal to bring attacking midfielder Warne back to Field Mill, following his loan spell with the Stags.
Barker said: "Paul would help the young players at Mansfield. He's in his 30s but is one of the hardest trainers and is very fit.
"He would be a good addition for Mansfield. He proves that you can be successful if you work hard."
Palmer added: "Paul has made it quite clear he wants to sign for Mansfield. I have made no secret of the fact that I want him here. So we will have a talk and see if we can tie a deal up."
Palmer is confident that Adam Rundle will sign a new deal today.
Giles Coke has already signed a new contract which ties him to Mansfield until the end of next season, with an option for a 12-month extension.
Youth team skipper Chris Wood has also agreed a deal ahead of next season, but Goma Lambu and Layton Maxwell have left.
Maxwell is now playing for Welsh Premier League outfit Carmarthen Town, while Lambu has joined Nationwide Conference South strugglers Redbridge.
Former Stags player Tom Curle has signed for Bradford Park Avenue. He has also been training at Macclesfield.
Palmer says the date for Mansfield's friendly against Bradford City has not been confirmed - despite an announcement on the Bantams' official website that they will play the Stags at Field Mill on July 23.
The Stags boss has agreed to a friendly against Bradford, but does not want to confirm the date until he hears back from West Bromwich Albion boss Bryan Robson about a date for a friendly against the Baggies at Field Mill. Jason White makes his league debut against Darlington tomorrow in the absence of the injured Kevin Pilkington.
Third choice keeper Michael Langford is in contention for a bench spot, while teenage striker Danny Heron is hoping for a start alongside Barker.
"Things are going well for me," said the 18-year-old, who has been offered a third year as a scholar next season.
"I've got a slight problem with shin splints, but I will be ok for the remaining games this season and I will get it sorted out in the summer.
"I'm hopeful I will be involved tomorrow and hope I can get a few games under my belt next season."
Jake Buxton looks set to miss out tomorrow with groin, back and hip problems.
Mansfield from: White, McNiven, John-Baptiste, Day, Jelleyman, Neil, McLachlan, Coke, Rundle, Barker, Brown, Lloyd, Dimech, Heron, Lonsdale, McIntosh, Langford, Wood.
See tomorrow's Football Post for a feature on Stags legend Mark Kearney - and find out what Carlton Palmer lists as his best footballing moments.
Source: Lincolnshire Echo
Lincoln City favourite Simon Yeo is heading for showdown contract talks after his agent warned the latest offer made to the in-form striker is not good enough.
The 23-goal hitman is believed to be one of seven senior players who were offered new written contracts just over a week ago as boss Keith Alexander looks to secure the futures of his star performers.
But Yeo's advisor, Jason Dunford, is unhappy with the offer and has raised reservations over the uncertainty at the club following chairman Rob Bradley's decision to step down last week after more than four years in charge.
Dunford said 12 clubs are currently interested in prising 31-year-old Yeo away from Sincil Bank, with League One side Huddersfield Town and home-town club Stockport County both thought to be leading the chase.
He is now set to hold further talks at the end of the season to try to secure an improved deal for Yeo, who is believed to be earning £500 per week.
"Simon is at the age where his next contract will be the most important of his professional career," said Dunford. "What Lincoln have put on the table now is not what I was expecting for a player who has scored 23 goals this season.
"People have to realise Simon is 31 and his family are important to him.
"Don't get me wrong - he wants to stay. He loves the fans to bits and we will talk with Lincoln at the end of the season.
"But it's not just the contract which is a problem.
"There are other factors which need to be taken into consideration like who will be the next chairman.
"That is an uncertainty in itself, because there is no clue as to who it is going to be at the moment.
"I would be lying if I said Simon had not attracted any interest and, so far, 12 clubs are all waiting to talk to him - but Lincoln is where he wants to stay.
"However, I must stress the ball is now firmly in their court."
Skipper Paul Morgan, goalkeeper Alan Marriott, Ben Futcher, Richard Butcher, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Peter Gain have all been offered two-year deals understood to be in excess of £1,000 per week.
They are among 16 Imps players out of contract at the end of the season.
I would think that we are one of the 12 clubs interested, cant see us being able to get him though, even if Lincoln dont go up.
Latest | April 2005