{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2004

29th July 2004 23:12

Matlock Town 4 - 2 Mansfield Town
Taylor 21, James 25, Clarke 62, Webster 67.
Ritgers 35, Barnard 85.

From Dean Foulkes at Matlock.

Att 375 (approx 80 from Mansfield)

The three foreign trialists all started the match at Matlock, though there was no place in the squad for left back Darren Barnard, with Adam Eaton starting the match. Half time report will appear here.

The Stags were very shaky for opening 30 minutes and were 2-0 down, but pulled a goal back to make it 2-1, and should have been level by half time.

The Stags were back playing in amber but with no numbers on their shirts.

Matlock missed a 1-on-1 after 15 minutes.
Then in another 1-on-1 on 21 minutes, Dimech was out of position and Steve Taylor scored.

Matlock made it 2-0 on 25 minutes. A corner from the left was not cleared, and Chris James volleyed into the roof of net.

A slip by Dimech on 28 minutes allowed another 1-on-1, but this time James put it past the post.

Ritgers pulled a goal back for Mansfield on 35 minutes. He was put through, and cut inside and rolled the ball across the goal into corner of the net.

Just before half time, Ritgers beat several players, and the keeper, but took the ball too wide before pulling it back and Tom Curle smashed it over bar and into the cricket field.

Moments later, Matlock hit the bar.

Half time 2-1

Ian Clarke made it 3-1 for Matlock after 62 minutes from 20 yards. Matlock had hit the post earlier in the half.

On 67 minutes, it was 4-1 when a cross from right found Gary Webster who volleyed in.

On 85 minutes, Curle played a free kick to Barnard whose shot from 25 yards took a slight deflection to wrong foot the keeper.

Final score 4-2

Matlock looked an experienced unit and
deserved their victory. The Stags seemed to be using the game as a training exercise.

The full Stags squad was watching in the stand.

Curle (T)

Subs: Heron, Jones, Hankey, Wood, Hunt, Reynolds, Arnold
Evening Post:
Matlock Town 4 v 2 Stags XI

Manager Keith Curle was happy with last night's workout at Matlock, despite the defeat.

All four trialists who played against Wolves featured for a second night running.

Two of them - Maceo Ritgers and Darren Barnard - were on target, Barnard's free-kick finding the net via a deflection.

Stags fielded a mixed team including Scott McNiven, Adam Eaton, Luke Dimech and Lee Williamson.

"Some of the players were a bit heavy-legged after played the night before but in pre-season it's more of a mental test," said Curle.
Another chance for trialists as Stags go down at Matlock
CHAD website

STAGS, who played youth team players for most of the second half, were beaten 4-2 in an entertaining pre-season work-out at Matlock Town tonight.
Mansfield manager Keith Curle took a second look at trialists Hugo Henriques, Antonio Valente and Maceo Rigters in the first half and Darren Barnard in the second half and will now make a decision on their futures before Saturday's trip to Bath City.
With youth team keeper Michael Langford in goal, Stags still began with a strong side with Luke Dimech partnering Henriques in defence with Adam Eaton and Scott McNiven as full backs.
Youngsters Callum Lloyd, Ryan Parkes and Tom Curtis were joined by Lee Williamson in midfield while Rigters and Valente were paired up front.
But it was the home side who carved out the better chances on a warm night before a crowd of 372 and Stags were fortunate to still be in the contest at 2-1 down at the break.
Henriques forced keeper Joel Armstrong into an early save with a firm header from a Curle corner.
But, after Simon Barraclough had wasted one good chance after getting goalside of Henriques, it was Steve Taylor who broke through on 21 minutes as he made the most of a through ball.
But it was his last contribution as he limped off following Henriques' last ditch attempt to tackle him.
It was 2-0 four minutes later as Ian Clarke sent a corner to the far post where Chris James stole in to guide a close range volley past Armstrong.
Although Rigters sent a free header wide from another Curle corner, Matlock created a succession of chances and Clarke was desperately unlucky to see his 20 yard free kick cannon back off the crossbar.
Rigters pulled one back on 35 minutes against the run of play as he showed strength to hold off a challenge before drilling low inside the far post.
A poor backpass from James on 44 minutes gifted Ritgers a chance to put Mansfield level. But he wanted too long and, after rounding the keeper and beating a defender, he ended up too wide and pulled the ball back to Lloyd whose effort was cleared off the line.
The strike force was replaced by Danny Herron and Dean Hankey at the break with Barnard on for Eaton.
More changes on 58 minutes then left Barnard the only non-youth team player on the field,
Matlock took full advantage and, after Rocky White's header had hit the post, Ian Clarke made it 3-1 with a well struck shot from 20 yards on 63 minutes.
On 67 minutes Gary Webster made it 4-1 with another well-struck shot from just inside the box as the young Stags wobbled.
But they gradually began to enjoy some possession, steadied the ship, and deserved their second goal on 86 minutes as Curle touched a 20-yard free kick to Barnard who saw his shot take a deflection and find the net.
The final minutes became increasingly ill tempered with Curle shown a yellow card.


Latest | July 2004