{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2004

27th January 2004 23:49

Scunthorpe United 0 - 0 Mansfield Town
Attendance: 3113 (931 from Mansfield)

The Stags earned a satisfactory point at Scunthorpe United. The Stags had the better of the first half and should have been in front when Liam Lawrence missed a sitter. Scunthorpe had the beter of it in the second half, and hit the post and then hit the bar in injury time. The game ended in snow with almost a white pitch at the end. The last time a Stags game ended 0-0 was against Brentford, 43 games ago, also on a white pitch!

Stagsnet player ratings now in Match centre.
Evening Post website:

Scunthorpe United 0 v 0 Mansfield Town
Mansfield missed out on the chance to move into the division's top three as struggling Scunthorpe held Keith Curle's men to a goalless draw.

The Stags missed a host of golden first-half chances as out-of-sorts Scunthorpe returned to form with an impressive display at Glanford Park.

Indeed, Mansfield were lucky to come away with anything as Kevin Sharp's long-range drive in second-half stoppage time struck the crossbar.

Mansfield have not been involved in a goalless draw in the Third Division this season and you could tell why as they created enough scoring opportunities in the opening half to have been out of sight.

Bobby Hassell - the only outfield player in the Mansfield side not to have scored this season - went closest when his 37th-minute shot struck the woodwork.

Liam Lawrence also missed a golden chance for the Stags. After rounding Scunthorpe goalkeeper Tom Evans he rolled his shot agonisingly wide.

The biggest miss of the half saw Lawrence and Iyseden Christie get in each other's way after Evans dropped a routine cross.

Whatever Scunthorpe boss Brian Laws said to his players at the interval seemed to work a treat as the Iron completely dominated the second half.

Cleveland Taylor struck an effort against the woodwork 17 minutes from time as the Mansfield desperately defended for a point.

Scunthorpe skipper Cliff Byrne thought he'd scored in the second half but his hammered shot from six-yards was somehow blocked on the line. Sharp also had a dipping volley go inches over the bar as Scunthorpe rallied late on.
Press Association:
Scunthorpe's play-off hopes stumbled after a goalless draw against promotion-hopefuls Mansfield Town.

Stags boss Keith Curle was happy with a point but his opposite number Brian Laws thought his side had done enough to win.

Curle commented: "Scunthorpe is never an easy place to come and while we shaded the first half we were under pressure in the late stages." Laws said: "We have played a very good side. Mansfield are very mobile, but I'm disappointed we did not win as there was only one team in it in the second half." After forcing two early corners Mansfield were found wanting when Cleveland Taylor broke down the right, but he lacked support and the attack petered out.

Scunthorpe kept up the pressure and Paul Hayes should have done better with a header that was wide of the mark.

The Stags hit back but Liam Lawrence and Iyseden Christie got in each others way as Tom Evans looked uncertain.

For a long period the game appeared to be going nowhere although Steve Torpey's accuracy was at fault as he fired weakly at Kevin Pilkington.

Mansfield then had the best chance, after 38 minutes, when Bobby Hassell broke through to crash a shot against an upright.

Scunthorpe showed greater promise in the second half and the Stags found themselves on the back foot.

Cliff Byrne and Taylor went close for the Iron while Hayes directed a header just over the bar.

Mansfield's best effort came when Neil Mackenzie was inches wide but it was the on-loan Taylor who provided some sparks in the closing stages.

He was unlucky to crash a shot against the woodwork and in the closing stages Kevin Sharp's left-foot cracker came back off the post.

Both sides felt they were denied penalties, but the referee was in a lenient mood and took no action.
Match Statistics (Iron / Stags)
17 Goal Attempts 12
5 On target 3
10 Off target 8
2 Woodwork 1
15 Corners 5
6 Fouls 6
4 Offside 4
Ananova: Scunthorpe 0 Mansfield 0

Mansfield moved into the automatic promotion places after a goalless draw against Scunthorpe at Glanford Park.

The Stags had the better of the first half and returned home disappointed after seeing a shot from Bobby Hassell crash against the woodwork.

The Iron, who are now without a League win since November, went close when Cleveland Taylor thundered a fine effort against an upright and was then just inches wide with another fine attempt.

Both sides felt they were denied second-half penalties with Mansfield striker Colin Larkin and Iron forward Andy Parton having appeals turned down by referee George Cain.

In the closing minutes Scunthorpe almost snatched maximum points when Kevin Sharp thundered a shot against the woodwork with a left-foot shot.


Latest | January 2004