{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2003

25th September 2003 21:24

Stags face FA misconduct charge
CHAD website
Mansfield Town have today been charged with misconduct by the FA over the mass brawl at Swansea on 30th September in a game which saw Stags finish with nine men in a 4-1 defeat.
Stags boss Keith Curle was publicly furious with referee Lee Probert's performance on the day and this morning's letter has rubbed salt into the wounds.
Stags finished an ill-tempered game with two red and six yellow cards while Mr Probert did not show a single card to a home player.
Mansfield have until 8th October to respond to the FA and decide if they wish to appeal or request a personal hearing.
The letter refers to the infamous 72nd minute 21-man showdown after Lee Williamson had appeared to kick out at a Swansea player on the ground and accuses Stags of: "failing to ensure their players refrained from violent, threatening or provocative behaviour."
It has arrived following a letter from the referee to the FA which requested that they view a video of the incident.
"We are disappointed to get this as we already felt there were a lot of injustices did go on during the game which are difficult to comment on right now."
Iyseden Christie was sent off for an early off-the-ball clash with Emzomo Iriekpen which no one really saw in any detail.
Williamson was later dismissed for the kick that started the melee but, at the end of the dust-up which certainly saw punches thrown by Swansea players and much threatening behaviour on both sides, amazingly only Liam Lawrence of Mansfield was then booked for: "adopting an aggressive attitude."
Curle is to sit down and discuss the matter with chairman Keith Haslam before he decided which avenue to pursue.
from mansfieldtown.net:
"We have received a letter from the FA informing us that we are to be charged with Violent, threatening and provocative behaviour which led to the 'twenty one man melee' at Swansea" Stags boss Keith Curle told the official website today.

The incident which took place in the 72nd minute of a highly charged game in Swansea at the end of August has been the talking point of everybody involved in the game and the video has been scrutinised by the FA at the request of the referee on the day Mr Lee Probert.

"We have been given the opportunity to request a personal hearing at the FA where we will be able to put our case forward and highlight areas of the video that have possibly been overlooked. I will be speaking to the chairman this week to see where he stands on the matter and we have until 7th October to make our case known.

The game has been described as a 21 man melee but when we have watched the video back over and over we counted nine Swansea players surrounding just four of our players – this is what we will be highlighting to the panel if we go along the route of a personal appearance" added Curle

for more details, visit http://www.mansfieldtown.net.


Latest | September 2003