{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2003

26th August 2003 23:46



Mansfield 5 v 0 Scunthorpe
Scunthorpe manager Brian Laws was short and to the point following his side's 5-0 defeat at Mansfield.

He stormed from the dressing room and onto the waiting coach with a procession of dejected players following in his footsteps.

He fumed: "One word sums that up - humiliation.

"We have been magnificent for the last three or four games but to put it all into perspective I am speechless following that performance.

"We expect players to give 100 percent and the majority - if not all of them - did not do that and it is not good enough.

"Mansfield's strikers crucified us and we were made to look stupid - it was well below the standard that I demand from this squad."
REPORT FROM http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk


Mansfield 5 v 0 Scunthorpe
Scunthorpe slumped to a humiliating defeat at Field Mill to leave manager Brian Laws fuming at his dawdling defenders.

But this was a five-star display by Mansfield and from the kick-off it was clear it would not be the Iron's night.

Mansfield hot shot Isyden Christie saw two early efforts beaten away for corners but inspired a set-piece after nine minutes that saw Rhys Day rise above the visiting defence to power home the Stags opener.

The visitors were reeling under a series of Stags attacks and they cracked again after 19 minutes when Junior Mendes latched onto a through ball from Christie to slide the ball goalbound.

Scunthorpe tried desparately to fight back and Stags keeper Kevin Pilkington had to leap acrobatically to tip Paul Hayes's effort over the bar.

As the first half came to a close Scunthorpe's misfortune continued with Cliff Byrnes' shot taking a deflection before rolling harmlessly into Pilkington's arms.

Scunthorpe started the second half in lively fashion in a bid to reduce the arrears. But it was Mansfield who came close with Mendes firing a bullet-like header wide of the post.

However, any hope of a comeback was destroyed after 63 minutes when Liam Lawrence crashed home a free kick from the edge of the area.

Ten minutes later Christie made in 4-0, knocking home from close range after Bobby Hassell's initial effort had been blocked on the line.

Mansfield completed the scoring in injury time - Lawrence hitting his second to complete the rout.


Latest | August 2003