{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 13/14 Stagsnet Match Report
The FA Cup with Budweiser - Round Two replay
Mansfield Town  
1 - 4
 Oldham Athletic
Dyer 12.
 Philliskirk 57, Clarke-Harris 62, Lanzoni 75, Rooney 81 pen.
Attendance: 2836 (223 from Oldham)
Date: 17 December 2013


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

What looked like it could be a great night after 55 minutes of this game, turned into a nightmare as Mansfield bowed out of the FA Cup to Oldham at Field Mill this evening, and missed out on the chance to go to Liverpool in Round 3. The nightmare was complete with injuries for Clucas and Hutchinson and a red card for Dempster. The Stags led with an early goal from Ross Dyer - a header from great play from Lindon Meikle. The Stags led at half-time and made a positive start to the second half with their best spell of the game for ten minutes, and on 55 minutes, a brilliant piece of play by Meikle saw his shot superbly tipped around the post by the Oldham keeper. Within two minutes, Oldham were level with a fabulous free kick though the free kick was unnecessarily conceded by Daniel, and then on 62 minutes Oldham were in front with a well-worked goal. Stags heads went down, and Oldham made it 3-1 from a corner which should never have been given as there was a clear foul on Martin Riley ignored by the referee, and Oldham capitalised with an unmarked header as Dempster lost his man. It was 4-1 when the referee missed a clear foul on Martin Riley and then sent off Dempster for handball in the box and awarded Oldham a penalty which was converted. To make matters worse, Sam Clucas went off injured right at the end and was stretchered out of the ground as the post match interviews were taking place - a precautionary measure, Simon Murphy told me, who thought it was probably ligament damage, rather than a fracture. Hutchinson also limped out of the game with a hamstring injury and he told me after the game he hoped he would not be out for too long (perhaps 2-3 weeks). A horrible evening for the Stags, who didn’t play badly at all for 55 minutes against a League One side but ended up losing easily, and Oldham were worthy winners. The Stags have big league games coming up, starting with the visit of Accrington on Saturday, and Mansfield must bounce back.

Paul Cox made one change to the side that drew at Wimbledon, with Hutchinson replacing Howell, and slotting in to a 4-4-1-1 formation, playing behind Dyer.

On 4 minutes, Wesolowski fired wide of the left post.

On 8 minutes, McGuire clashed heads with Wesolowski. Wesolowski went down and eventually had to be substituted with a bad facial injury. Subsequent analysis of the incident on TV showed that it was simply a clash of heads and there was no malice on McGuire’s part.

It was 1-0 to the Stags on 12 minutes. A great touch from Clucas and he found Meikle who got to the by-line and bulleted a brilliant cross on to the head of Dyer who guided it in off the underside of the bar. Oldham players protested vigorously that it was offside but the live TV footage clearly showed it was onside.

On 16 minutes, Clarke-Harris sent a free kick from 35 yards straight at Marriott.

Hutchinson had to be replaced on 18 minutes with a hamstring injury and he was replaced by Clements. Clements slotted in behind Dyer, retaining the 4-4-1-1 formation. I cannot recall Clements playing there before.

On 23 minutes, the Stags very nearly made it 2-0. It was a good chance for Clucas who fired wide of the left post into the side netting from the edge of the box.

On 26 minutes, Oldham had the ball in the net as Clarke-Harris put the ball past Marriott. The whistle had already gone and Marriott had stopped playing. The live TV replays in fact showed that it was onside.

On 28 minutes, Dempster put in a good challenge on Clarke-Harris following Rooney’s cross. Then on 30 minutes, Petrasso shot wide of the right post from the edge of the box. On 37 minutes, a good block from Daniel from captain Korey Smith. On 40 minutes, a great block from Dempster from Petrasso’s left foot shot from 12 yards. From the resulting corner, there was a great catch from Marriott.

On 45 minutes, there was a chance for the Stags as Riley met Clements’ corner from the right with a header but it was cleared away. On 45+3, two blocks by the Stags to shut Oldham out, first Philliskirk’s shot was blocked by Dempster, then Clarke-Harris’ shot was blocked by Westlake.

A good first half from the Stags, defensively very strong and closing Oldham down. The Stags had much the better of the opening 25 minutes but Oldham came back into it after that. Overall, the Stags deserved the lead.

Half time 1-0

At half time, Paul Cox made a tactical switch with Clements moving back to the centre of midfield and McGuire moving forward to play just behind Dyer. Oldham meanwhile completely changed their shape, switching to three at the back.

On 47 minutes, a good break from the Stags and Clucas got into the box on the right but his ball into the middle was behind Dyer. On 49 minutes, Meikle cut inside and his shot was wayward but so nearly fell for Dyer who held his head in his hands. The ball went out for a corner from which Riley tried an overhead kick but it was completely miscued.

It was a positive start to the second half for Mansfield.

On 54 minutes, a great run from Meikle down the left. He cut inside on to his right foot and sent in a brilliant shot that was heading just inside the right post but keeper Oxley made a fabulous save tipping it just wide. It was to prove a turning point in the game.

On 56 minutes, a silly challenge from Daniel as he fouled an Oldham player inside the D, conceding a free kick. Philliskirk took the free kick and gave Marriott no chance by curling it into the top corner in off the right post to make it 1-1.

On 61 minutes, a good break from the Stags as Clements broke forward. Meikle continued the good run down the left but with McGuire in acres of space in the middle, he played a really poor ball across.

Oldham made it 2-1 on 62 minutes with a well worked goal, Clarke- Harris firing past Marriott from inside the box with Westlake slightly out of position.

Oldham were in control for the first time in the game.

Paul Cox responded on 67 minutes by bringing off Murray and Meikle and replacing them with Palmer and Rhead. To me it was a puzzling double substitution as they had probably been our best two players. Palmer and Rhead went up front, Dyer to right midfield and Clucas to left midfield.

On 74 minutes, there was a half chance for the Stags as McGuire shot well over from 25 yards but shooting was not his best option with Westlake available on his right.

It was 3-1 to Oldham, and game over, on 75 minutes. Riley appeared to be fouled by Rooney but the referee instead gave a corner, from which there was dreadful defending from the Stags as Lanzoni lost his marker Dempster and headed home.

On 78 minutes, a great effort from Clements as his free kick from 25 yards was just past the left post.

Things went from bad to worse on 80 minutes. First of all, Rooney fouled Riley again and again the referee missed it and then Clarke-Harris’ shot was blocked by Dempster with his arm. By the letter of the law, the referee made the correct decision in sending Dempster off. Rooney despatched the penalty down the left hand side as Marriott dived the wrong way, to make it 4-1.

With only 10 men, the Stags played with 3 at the back in a 3-4-2 formation.

On 84 minutes, Clucas got past one man and his shot was blocked for a corner. Then on 87 minutes, Winchester’s long range effort deflected off Riley just past the right post. A minute later and back to the other end and a lovely floating cross from Clements and Rhead headed wide when he should have headed back across goal for Clucas who was unmarked.

Then on 89 minutes, Rhead flicked a pass with his right foot into the path of Palmer who made a good run and a fine shot which was tipped wide by the keeper.

As if things weren’t bad enough, they got a whole lot worse on 90 minutes as Clucas landed awkwardly and had to be helped off with an injury which immediately looked serious.

On 90+2, Rooney shot over the bar.

Man of the match: Lindon Meikle

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Line Up:
Marriott 7 Couldn’t really be faulted for any of the goals and dealt well with a couple of corners (one good catch and one good punch).
Westlake 6.5 Slightly out of position for the second goal. One good clearance for a corner in the first half.
Dempster 5 Put in some good challenges but was fortunate not to be booked twice in the first half for bad challenges. Lost his man Lanzoni for the 3rd goal from the corner. Stuck his arm out in conceding the penalty.
Riley 7 Pick of the defence, with some good challenges. The ref missed fouls on him leading to both the 3rd and 4th goals. Had two goal attempts, one a header cleared away and one ambitious overhead kick.
Daniel 5.5 Full of energy and played really well until a silly foul conceded which led to the crucial 1st goal. The 3rd game running he has conceded a silly and unnecessary free kick in a dangerous position, and he has to cut this out of his game.
Clucas 7 Good touch in the build-up to the goal, and generally showed some good skill. Some good tracking back. Should have done better with his shot into the side-netting. Went off injured right at the end and stretchered off to hospital. He’s a big player for the Stags and we await news of whether he will miss key games over the festive period.
McGuire 6 Worked hard. One ambitious effort well off target.
Murray 7 Plenty of good challenges. Surprisingly subbed.
Meikle 7.5 Very good game and surprisingly subbed. Great play for the goal, and more great play with a super run and shot tipped around the post just a couple of minutes before Oldham equalised.
Hutchinson - Went off injured after 18 minutes, which was a big blow. It was a hamstring injury and he told me after the game he hoped he would not be out for too long (perhaps 2-3 weeks).
Dyer 7 Decent game. In the right place for the goal to continue his rich vein of scoring (at Mansfield and Hereford on loan). Some good hold-up play. Not as effective when he was moved out of position to right midfield.
Sub Line Up:
Clements (for Hutchinson, 18) 6 Played behind Dyer in the first half and he looked like a fish out of water. Much more effective in central midfield. Corners were disappointing, but a good free kick just past the post and a good cross for a Rhead header.
Palmer (for Murray, 67) - One really good effort with a run and shot tipped wide by the keeper.
Rhead (for Meikle, 67) -
Subs not used: Deakin, Beevers, Briscoe, Howell.
Opposition Line Up:
Oxley; Kusanga (Lanzoni 46), Tarkowski, Grounds, Mellor; Petrasso, Wesolowski (Winchester 24), Smith (Rodgers 82), Philliskirk; Clarke-Harris, Rooney. Subs not used: Rachubka, Brown, Miller, Plummer.
Seb Stockbridge 5 Missed too much.

Season 13/14 Reports