{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
3 - 1
 Macclesfield Town
Green 17, Jones 41, Stevenson 51.
 Mills 89.
Attendance: 3694 (60 from Macclesfield)
Date: 9 April 2013


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

This was a massive game for Mansfield with the chance to go top of the league with one of the two games in hand over Kidderminster, and Mansfield were all over opponents Macclesfield from the off. The Stags cruised into a three goal lead with two goals coming from fabulous set-piece delivery from captain Adam Murray, the first glanced home by Matt Green and the second powered home by Luke Jones; then Lee Stevenson scored with a fine finish early in the second half. Macclesfield scored a consolation in the 89th minute as Mansfield slightly took the foot off the gas. In a cracking atmosphere at the One Call Stadium, I expected a nervy evening but it was anything but as the Stags steamrollered their way to victory. The Stags are now two points clear of Kidderminster and still with a game in hand. On to Braintree on Saturday and another huge game. Come on Mansfield!

Mansfield were right in to Macclesfield from the outset and, inside the opening 15 seconds, Colin Daniel charged down full back Jackson. Murray’s free kick on 2 minutes caused danger as Jones headed the ball across goal and the keeper had to save. A great run from Daniel on 3 minutes and his cross/shot was a yard wide of the right post. It was a tremendous start. At the other end, Kissock had a soft shot straight at Marriott from 25 yards on 10 minutes.

The Stags were on front on 17 minutes. Murray’s free kick from the left hand side was beautifully placed and Green’s glancing header sent it pass the keeper for his 23rd goal of the season.

Daniel was well wide with a shot on 19 minutes as Murray’s corner came out to him. At the other end, a rare moment for Macclesfield as Winn’s goal-bound shot was well blocked by Jones. The Stags had shouts for a penalty on 22 minutes when there appeared to be a little push on Dempster in the box following Murray’s corner but the ref wasn’t interested. On 33 minutes, Daniel’s right footed shot took 2 deflections and rolled agonisingly wide. Macclesfield were playing carelessly, “fancy dan” stuff my brother called it on commentary, and the latest example came on 35 minutes as a Macclesfield defender gave the ball away, Stevenson got on to it but Green was offside. Good play from danger man Mackreth and his cross/shot was tipped over by Marriott on 36 minutes. Stevenson had a chance of a one on one on 40 minutes but he didn’t have the pace and the chance was gone.

It was 2-0 on 41 minutes. Murray’s brilliant free kick from the right found Jones who powered a clean header past the keeper.

The Stags were full value for the two goal lead.

Half time 2-0

On 47 minutes, Murtagh sent an ambitious 35 yard shot straight at Marriott. On 49 minutes, Daniel got down the left but his cross/shot was poor.

It was 3-0 in 51 minutes. Briscoe played a lovely ball through for Stevenson who sent a right footed volley past the keeper.

Green was just wide with a snap shot volley from 22 yards on 66 minutes.

Meikle replaced Briscoe on 71 minutes and two minutes Rhead replaced Green who went off to a rousing reception.

Meikle was soon in the action on 77 minutes fizzing a shot just wide of the left post following a Murray free kick. Then on 80 minutes, Rhead headed over from somewhere near the penalty spot from a Murray corner. A double chance for Daniel on 82 minutes when Beevers crossed from the right: firstly his shot was blocked on the line and then, on the rebound, he sent an overhead kick straight at the keeper. Full back Greg Taylor was in the action on 83 minutes with great play to dispossess Fairhurst on the edge of the Stags box.

Chapman replaced Howell on 85 minutes.

Macclesfield pulled a goal back on 89 minutes as Pablo Mills headed in from Jackson’s free kick. The Stags had taken their foot off the gas and this was a bit sloppy.

Overall this was a very good performance from Mansfield who were up for it from the first minute, and in retrospect, it probably turned out to be a good time to play Macclesfield rather than when the original game was postponed when Macclesfield were on a decent run and still with a chance of getting into the play offs.

Man of the match: Adam Murray

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Marriott 7 Quiet evening but dealt with everything expertly.
Beevers 7.5 Solid defensively and some good forays forward.
Dempster 7 Good game.
Jones 7.5 Very solid and yet another goal to take him to 8, which should be 9 if he hadn't been robbed by a linesman at Wrexham.
Taylor 8 Super game against the outstanding MacReth.
Briscoe 7 Very good ball to set up Stevenson's goal.
Murray 8 Fabulous free kicks laid the foundation for victory.
Howell 7.5 Fine game.
Daniel 7.5 Started superbly and looked really up for it.
Stevenson 7 Took his goal very well and caused danger all night.
Green 7 Another goal to take him to 23 in all competitions, and top scorer in the Conference.
Sub Line Up:
Meikle (for Briscoe, 71) - Very lively.
Rhead (for Green, 73) -
Chapman (for Howell, 85) -
Subs not used: Sutton, Hutchinson.
Opposition Line Up:
Taylor; Jackson, Audel, Mills, Braham-Barrett; Mackreth, Wedgbury, Murtagh, Winn (Madjo 60); Kissock; Fairhurst. Subs: Amores, Burgess, Gnahoua, Martin.
Declan Ford (Lincoln)

Season 12/13 Reports