{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
1 - 2
 Mansfield Town
Bubb (penalty) 68.
 Briscoe 34, Jones 78
Attendance: 1179 (140 from Mansfield)
Date: 6 March 2013


Martin Shaw at Kingfield

A magnificent win for Mansfield at Woking this evening, which was later overshadowed by a disgraceful incident the like of which I have never seen as the Mansfield dressing room window was smashed by a Woking season ticket holder. It was a thoroughly deserved victory for the Stags in the end as Mansfield showed real grit and determination to pick up the points after Woking had equalised midway through the second half out of the blue. Louis Briscoe gave Mansfield a lead on 34 minutes in controversial circumstances and his lofted ball forward went straight in though two Mansfield players were in an offside position. After the game, Woking boss Garry Hill was an angry man claiming that the Mansfield players were clearly interfering with play. The Stags were desperately unlucky not to increase the lead when Stevenson headed against the post just after half-time. Woking were level on 68 minutes, out of the blue, and against the run of play, as Colin Daniel inadvertently tripped Johnson and the dangerous Bradley Bubb scored from the penalty spot though Stags keeper Marriott was within a whisker of saving it. The Woking equaliser fired Mansfield up and Mansfield’s determination was summed up in one incident where Woking had a throw-in their own half which no-one was in a hurry to take, and Lee Stevenson chased after the ball and handed it to a Woking player to get on with the game. The Stags winner came on 78 minutes as Luke Jones rose highest from a James Jennings corner to header into the top left corner of the net. The win takes Mansfield’s run to ten wins in eleven games, and 8 away wins from 9 away games. Adam Chapman made a super debut in the centre of midfield alongside Adam Murray who put on facebook that he had a poor game himself, but he’s his harshest critic as I thought he played really well too. The defence was very solid while Briscoe and Daniel caused problems for the home defence.

Both teams came into the match on a good run of form. Woking’s home form of 10 wins this season was better than Wrexham and not bettered by anybody outside the top six. As expected, the pitch was in dreadful condition, extremely hard and bobbly. Mansfield made two changes from the side that beat Telford as Geohaghon replaced Sutton in the centre of defence and new signing Adam Chapman came in for Clements. Cox’s explanation for Geohaghon coming back was that he thought that he would be better equipped to deal with big striker Stockley.

Mansfield were up for it from the start and early challenges from Chapman, Geohaghon and Briscoe set the tone. Woking had the first chance on 12 minutes as Betsy broke down the left and Bubb shot straight at Marriott. Betsy was in the action again after 17 minutes as he went down under a challenge from Luke Jones but the referee correctly waved away the appeals for a penalty. On 20 minutes, Briscoe got to the byeline and fizzed the ball across the goal. Moments later, Daniel crashed a half volley from the edge of the box just past the angle of bar and post. On 26 minutes, Bubb broke down the right and his cross fizzed across the goal, much the same as Briscoe’s did earlier. On 27 minutes, the dangerous Betsy fed the lively Bubb and Jennings did really well to block Bubb’s shot and deflect it wide. On 30 minutes, a great chance for the Stags as Stevenson headed the ball down and new boy Chapman fired a half volley just wide of the left post.

The Stags took the lead in unusual circumstances on 34 minutes. Louis Briscoe hooked a ball goalwards. It went over everybody, including Green, and nestled in the left corner of the net. The linesman raised his flag as both Green and Stevenson were in an offside position. The referee consulted with the linesman and eventually awarded a goal, much to the annoyance of Woking players and staff who claimed that Green and Stevenson were interfering with play as they were in the line of sight of the goal keeper.

On 41 minutes, Marriott saved easily from Cester’s low shot.

Half time 0-1

On 46 minutes, Chapman curled a shot towards the right post which Brown in the Woking goal tipped wide. From the resulting corner taken by Jennings, Stevenson’s header crashed against the right post. Very unlucky for Stevenson whose rich vein of scoring had come to an end recently.

At the other end, Betsy went down in the box on 48 minutes but there was clearly no foul. On 52 minutes, Murray had a shot blocked after a Jennings free kick had been knocked down to him. A minute later, Briscoe fed Green who shot straight at Brown from the edge of the box. On 54 minutes, Briscoe cut in from the right on to his left foot and his shot was tipped over by the keeper, though the officials absurdly awarded a free kick. It was an effort reminiscent of his goal at Hyde. A minute later, and with the Stags well on top, Murray sent a 35 yard shot wide. Then, on 57 minutes, Beevers fed a great ball forward for Green but there was just too much pace on it and Green was unable to control it. On 60 minutes, Briscoe headed over from a Jennings corner.

The tiring Briscoe was replaced by Meikle on 63 minutes. A minute later, a good move from the Stags as Murray played a great ball forward for Daniel who was unable to find Green with his cross which he rather scuffed. A rare chance for Woking on 65 minutes as Stockley volleyed just past the right post. It was a good effort from the big striker.

Woking were level on 68 minutes, almost completely out of the blue. Daniel was adjudged to have fouled Johnson in the area. At first glance it looked similar to the penalty that Daniel himself won at Luton, but on the video replay, it looked like Daniel may have got the ball first, though admittedly it was not completely clear. Bubb sent the resulting penalty just under Marriott into the left corner of the net.

It was a shock for the Stags who immediately showed great urgency to get back into the lead. On one occasion, with Woking players in no hurry to take a throw in, Stevenson chased 20 yards to recover the ball and hand it to the player.

The Stags made a change on 76 minutes as Rhead replaced Stevenson to give more of an aerial presence. On 77 minutes, Chapman’s free kick was deflected wide.

From the resulting corner, the Stags regained the lead that their determination deserved. Jennings took the corner from the right and Jones headed in at the far post more or less off the back of his head, which the keeper palmed into the top left corner.

A great ball from Murray to Daniel on 79 minutes but his cross was cleared. On 80 minutes, Woking had what turned out to be their only chance to equalise as Jennings got in a great block to deny Stockley. Wright replaced Green on 82 minutes and there were no further alarms for the Stags who held on for the victory.


by Martin Shaw

A minute or two after the final whistle of Mansfield’s 2-1 win at Woking, with Mansfield players having gone down the tunnel and into the dressing room, suddenly about half the Mansfield team plus some of the management, ran back out of the tunnel, in front of the stand holding us in the press box, and ran behind the stand. It was not immediately obvious what was happening. As we reported the incident live on air, slowly some of the Mansfield players returned, including Alan Marriott who was holding the back of his head. Reports began to emerge that a brick had been thrown through the Mansfield dressing room window. I went to have a look at the dressing room myself and there was a large hole in the window, compatible with a brick having gone through it. Paul Cox took his players onto the pitch, some appearing shaken. Paul Cox then came up to do post match interviews, and explained that a brick had been thrown through the window nearly hitting him, and that it had hit Marriott on the back of the head. He explained that as he looked through the window to see who had done it, a lad spat in his face, hitting him in the eye. He said that he had chased out of the dressing room, around the front of the stand to the back of it and had confronted the individual, and that stewards had separated him and some Mansfield players from the culprit. After Paul Cox had spoken to the media and had chatted with me and a couple of friends of mine, the Woking chairman appeared. Most of the other media had gone by this point. He spoke with Cox, right in front of me, and apologised for the incident. He said that this sort of thing just doesn’t happen at this football club and he was extremely sorry. He said that they know who the culprit was, he was a season ticket holder, and charges would be pressed against him tomorrow morning. He also said that the culprit would be banned from the football ground for life. When Cox said that it was unacceptable for a brick to be thrown through the window and to be spat at, the Woking chairman said that it was not a brick, but that the culprit had pushed his hand through the window (making the rather large hole). The Woking chairman said he had also been onto the Mansfield team bus and apologised to all the Mansfield players. Paul Cox thanked the Woking chairman for the speedy action taken.

Man of the match: Adam Chapman

Report by: Martin Shaw at Kingfield

Line Up:
Marriott 7 Very good handling, and nearly saved the penalty.
Beevers 7 Good game even against the dangerous Betsy.
Geohaghon 7 Tremendous strength on several occasions to hold opponents off. One mistake, which he got away with.
Jones 7 Defended well. Initially was unable to win a header in the Woking box against the impressive McNerney, but had the last laugh with the winning goal.
Jennings 7 Some good corners, including for the winner. Defended well, and increasingly got the better of the dangerous Bradley Bubb.
Briscoe 7 Some good runs. Got a bit lucky with the goal.
Chapman 8 Signed on loan today from Oxford. Very good debut as he started in front of the back four but increasingly pushed forward. Unlucky with a couple of shots. Great distribution.
Murray 7 Immediately formed a good partnership with Chapman. Misplaced a few passes, but generally had a good game, taking control of the midfield. Ricketts, the Woking midfielder never got a look-in.
Daniel 7 Caused some danger down the left. A couple of good crosses and unlucky to have a goal chalked off.
Stevenson 6 Unlucky when his header crashed against the post.
Green 6 Not at his best after a purple patch of fine performances. Played his part in the victory though.
Sub Line Up:
Meikle (for Briscoe, 63) -
Rhead (for Stevenson, 76) - Immediately caused the home defence problems.
Wright (for Green, 82) -
Subs not used: Sutton, Clements.
Opposition Line Up:
Brown, Newton (Frith 88), McNerney, Johnson, Nutter (Francis 82); Cestor (McCallum 58), Ricketts, Parkinson; Bubb, Stockley, Betsy. Subs not used: Putnin, Griffiths.
Lee Swabey (Plymouth)

Season 12/13 Reports