{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Hyde FC  
0 - 1
 Mansfield Town
 Briscoe 46
Attendance: 675 (approx 300 from Mansfield, estimate, no segregation)
Date: 19 February 2013


Martin Shaw at Ewen Fields

Mansfield Town dominated throughout at Hyde this evening and were worthy winners thanks to Louis Briscoe’s goal thirteen seconds into the second half (timing from match DVD). Briscoe won the ball on the right from the left-back Griffin, cut back on to his left foot and curled a shot into the top left corner from a tight angle. I tried to find to Louis after the game to confirm that he meant it but I was unable to find him even with manager Paul Cox’s help (update - Louis confirmed to me on twitter later on Tuesday night that he "did mean it. But it could have gone anywhere haha"). Mansfield had a bucketful of chances throughout the game but were unable to kill the game, and Hyde had two chances on 75 minutes to steal a point, with Luke Jones clearing off the line. In the end it didn’t matter about the missed chances; this was a fine performance from the Stags who were first to every ball, all over the pitch, all game, and who are now genuine contenders for the title, and have rightly been installed as third favourites.

Mansfield were unchanged for the third match running. Forgotten man of Field Mill Jamie Tolley was in the stand 3 rows in front of us with partner and baby. Rhys Day was also watching from the stand. Hyde had 16 goal top scorer Phil Jevons on the bench suffering from illness that had swept through the small Hyde squad.

The Stags were at it from the off harrying, closing down and generally all over Hyde. The first chance came on 2 minutes when Green fed Daniel whose shot was blocked. A great saving tackle from Jennings at the other end to deny Almond on 4 minutes. Good interplay between Beevers and Briscoe set up Briscoe on 6 minutes and his cross come shot was across the face of goal. Green got to the edge of the box on 9 minutes and his low shot was well saved. Then a great cross from Briscoe 2 minutes later and Daniel pulled the ball back across goal when he probably should have shot, and Murray fired well over the bar.

It was a very positive start from the Stags who appeared to be treating it like a home game.

On 22 minutes, Jennings sent a free kick over the bar. Three minutes later, Jones headed over from a Jennings corner. Good tracking back from Briscoe on 29 minutes but the referee got it all wrong and decided it was a foul, ridiculously booking Briscoe in the process. The resulting free kick from Chris Sedgwick glanced off Jones and Marriott had to save at the far post. Straight to the other end as Green broke forward down the left and pulled the ball back to Stevenson whose powerful shot was straight into the keeper’s midriff. On 40 minutes, Stevenson tee’ed up Murray whose shot was blocked.

The Stags should have been in front on 42 minutes. Beevers threaded a brilliant ball through to Daniel whose shot was across the keeper and past the right post. It really was a glorious opportunity.

Another chance for Green on 44 minutes when he shot from 20 yards and it was saved low down by the keeper. Green jumped and skipped in frustration. A frustrating half all in all for the Stags who were totally in control but unable to find the net.

Half time 0-0

The Stags were in front 13 seconds into the second half. Hyde took the kick off but Briscoe won the ball from the hapless left-back Griffin, cut back on to his left foot and curled his shot into the top left corner from a tight angle.

Green came close again on 49 minutes when he broke forward on the left and sent a powerful shot that hit the stanchion behind the goal on the left.

Briscoe was so unlucky not to get his second goal on 51 minutes when he sent a header from 8 yards crashing against the bar from a fine deep cross from Jennings. Two minutes later, Daniel got past his defender and his shot was pushed wide for a corner. From the resulting corner, Dempster was clearly hauled over in the box but the referee waved away the appeals.

Hyde created a rare chance on 56 minutes when England C centre forward Scott Spencer cut inside from the right and sent a left footed shot over the bar.

The Stags were continuing to treat it like home game, chasing down loose balls and never giving Hyde a moment. However they did start to sit a bit deeper for a period.

On 65 minutes, Howell headed over at the far post from a Jennings free kick. On 70 minutes, Green superbly latched on to a ball over the top from Murray and was through on goal wide on the right but his shot was blocked. Green slipped over straight into the advertising hoardings.

Hyde had a purple patch of sixty seconds on 76 minutes as first, sub Grant Spencer shot across the face of goal and it only needed a touch to turn it into the net. And, within a minute, Jones had to clear off the line as Marriott missed a Chris Sedgwick free kick from the left.

Normal service was soon resumed as the Stags continued to completely dominate. On 84 minutes, Jennings lobbed a ball from 40 yards into the box and Howell, in space in the box, managed to get his boot to it and sent a volley just wide. It was a difficult chance with the ball dropping from height.

Meikle replaced Daniel on 85 minutes. A minute later, Green got the deftest of flicked headers to a corner from Jennings but it was just wide. Then on 87 minutes, Green was close yet again when he just failed to make contact with a free kick from Jennings inside the 6 yard box.

Nick Wright replaced Green on 88 minutes and was soon in the action running down the clock well with a great charge down the left. Wright came close to a goal on 90+3 minutes when Stevenson fed him on the edge of the box and his left footed shot was just wide. But it mattered not as the final whistle went straight away.

Man of the match: Louis Briscoe

Report by: Martin Shaw at Ewen Fields

Line Up:
Marriott 6 A couple of routine saves, but made one mistake when he missed a free kick and was rescued as Jones cleared off the line.
Beevers 8 Defended very well. Pushed forward well as well, in combination with Briscoe. One fabulous pass to put a chance on a plate for Daniel.
Dempster 7 Defended solidly. One cracking early tackle. Should have won a penalty when he was clearly fouled in the box.
Jones 7 Defended well including good clearance off the line.
Jennings 7.5 Good defending with one brilliant early tackle of Almond, and good delivery from corners.
Briscoe 8 Very good game and left-back Griffin was absolutely roasted. Deserved his goal, and so unlucky with a header against the bar.
Howell 7 Good game and controlled the midfield with Murray. Could have scored a couple.
Murray 7 Got stuck in throughout the game.
Daniel 7.5 Very dangerous and gave the right back a torrid evening with some good runs. Missed a sitter in the first half.
Stevenson 7 Good game.
Green 7 Had four or five chances and was frustrated not to score, but looked sharp all evening and worked hard.
Sub Line Up:
Meikle (for Daniel, 85) -
Wright (for Green, 88) - One great run to eat up time, and had a decent shot just wide.
Subs not used: Sutton, Clements, Rhead.
Opposition Line Up:
Dilo; Lomax, Ashworth, Anderson, Griffin; Brown, Sedgwick, Cassidy; Scott Spencer, Almond, McCartan. Subs: Grant Spencer (for McCartan, 44), Jevons (for Brown, 73), Brizell (for Scott Spencer, 80). Subs not used: Carnell, David McNiven.
Anthony Backhouse 5 Poor. Some crazy bookings and poor decisions. Lost the game in the second half.

Season 12/13 Reports