{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
0 - 2
 Kidderminster Harriers
 Demetriou 21, Vaughan 24. Clancy sent off 77
Attendance: 2405 (208 from Kidderminster)
Date: 12 January 2013


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town slumped to a disappointing defeat to in-form Kidderminster at Field Mill, six days after a magnificent display against Liverpool. Two goals in three minutes midway through the first half were enough to earn to the three points for the visitors who have now won 9 games out of ten. Mansfield hit the woodwork three times in the first half, with Green smashing a great shot against the outside of the post, and smashing another piledriver against the underside of the bar, while Dempster had a header turned onto the bar by the keeper. Kidderminster also hit the post in that first half with a header, and it could have been 3-3 at half time. The Stags were booed off at half time. The Stags had plenty of pressure in the second half but even though Kidderminster were reduced to ten men when Clancy was sent off on 74 minutes, the Stags couldn’t break through as Kidderminster packed the defence and held on for a 2-0 win. It was an impressive away performance by the Harriers, but not good enough from Mansfield.

The Stags were unchanged from the side that played so well against Liverpool. In my opinion, Ritchie Sutton was unfortunate to be left out having been defending well at right back, and only lost his place to John Thompson through a one game suspension. Ben Hutchinson was left out of the 16 and was unlucky in my opinion having had not played poorly in any game in which he had played. Jake Speight was not included in the 16 through injury. The formation was 4-5-1 with Howell the most offensive of the three central midfielders. The problem with having Howell in this position is that finishing is not clinical enough even though he has been playing well. Exodus Geohaghon was playing against the team that he joined in the summer but then left early in the season to rejoin the Stags, and he was barracked throughout the game by the Harriers fans. Kidderminster were without star striker Jamille Matt who had scored 8 goals from the previous 8 games but had joined League Two Fleetwood on Friday.

Mansfield got off to a sluggish start but had the first good chance as Green sent a brilliant effort from 25 yards with real curve against the outside of the post. A minute later, at the other end, Geohaghon put in a good block from a Ryan Rowe shot. Full back Demetriou sent a free kick a foot over the bar from 24 yards on 8 minutes. On 11 minutes Marriott was out of his goal and Malbon fired over an empty net. It really was a sluggish start from the Stags.

Mansfield started to improve and on 11 minutes a real scramble from a Geohaghon long throw. Then on 14 minutes, Meikle shot at the keeper from 30 yards. And on 16 minutes a shot from Howell was blocked by Demetriou for a corner. Good play from Meikle on 18 minutes and Briscoe’s low cross was straight at the keeper. On 19 minutes at the other end a shot from Ryan Rowe was deflected straight at Marriott.

Kidderminster took the lead on 21 minutes. Beevers was penalised for a fairly soft foul inside the D, in a very central position. Demetriou took the free kick and fired it past the end of the wall and into the bottom left of the net. It was a good free kick but it looked the like the wall must have been lined up poorly . The Kidderminster players celebrated by a mock dance imitating Carolyn Radford’s dance after Green’s goal against Liverpool which was shown worldwide on TV.

Straight to the other end and Meikle drove a shot just wide on 22 minutes following a long throw from Beevers. Marriott made a great save on 23 minutes as Malbon turned and shot.

It was 2-0 to Kidderminster on 24 minutes. Right back Lee Vaughan took advantage of a slip by Beevers to fire goalwards with a great strike from a tight angle from the right. The ball sailed over Marriott’s right shoulder and into the net. I thought Marriott should have done better though others may feel that is a little harsh. Marriott has been in superlative form and it was disappointing.

The Stags hit the woodwork for a second time on 28 minutes. Dempster headed Clements’ corner towards the top left corner of the net and keeper Danny Lewis made a great save to tip it onto the bar. Beevers was having a torrid time at left back and Marvin Johnson beat him with good skill on the touchline but his low shot was easily saved. Green sent a free kick straight at the keeper from 20 yards on 34 minutes. Then a minute later Meikle did well to head down a cross and Green’s shot was blocked. Kidderminster themselves hit the woodwork on 36 minutes as a cross from the right was headed against the left post by Demetriou, and in the aftermath Kidderminster claimed a penalty for a handball by Geohaghon which the referee waved away. On 43 minutes a Geohaghon long throw came back to Meikle who drove a poor effort over the bar.

A minute into stoppage time, Green sent a thunderous effort from 20 yards against the underside of the bar. Brilliant from Green and so unlucky again.

The Stags were cut open too many times in the first half as Harriers attacked with real purpose. Nevertheless having hit the woodwork three times, it was a little harsh for the Stags to be booed off at the break.

Half time 0-2

Sutton replaced the disappointing Thompson at half time in an effort to bring more pace to the defence and shore it up. Daniel replaced Briscoe and went to left midfield. Meikle moved to right midfield.

A good start by Daniel and on 50 minutes he made a good run forward and fired wide from 20 yards. On 52 minutes Howell had a shot blocked following a Clements free kick but the offside flag was up. Then on 54 minutes, Dempster went down in the area following a Clements corner but no penalty was given. On 56 minutes, a shot from Ryan Rowe was well-blocked by Dempster. A minute later, Meikle did well to turn but with Stags players free in the box, he shot well wide. On 59 minutes, Meikle’s cross cum shot was flicked on by Green and a good save by the keeper tipping it wide. On 62 minutes, Daniel crossed and Geohaghon headed into the keeper’s arms.

The Stags were now playing much better but just couldn’t get the goal which they desperately needed. On 74 minutes, substitute Clancy who had only been on the pitch for 4 minutes, was sent off for a reckless foul on Beevers. Kidderminster protested the decision and were still complaining about it in post match interviews. Beevers went off on 77 minutes to be replaced by Rhead. Daniel switched to left back. A bad mistake by Geohaghon on 78 minutes as he gifted a chance to Gittings who fired over the bar. On 81 minutes, Meikle dinked a ball forward and Rhead back-headed it towards goal but the ball was cleared. A free kick from Clements on 83 minutes was scrambled wide. From the resulting corner, an overhead kick from Meikle was saved underneath his own bar by the keeper at the second attempt. Two minutes later, a shot from Daniel was blocked and from the resulting corner, Meikle fired well wide. On 86 minutes, a Geohaghon long throw was flicked on by Green and saved by the keeper.

Clements had a long range shot blocked on 88 minutes and then Rhead had a header from point blank range that was well saved following a Geohaghon long throw (note header and save is not captured in the video highlights). In a rare break by Kidderminster, they had three players on one but were caught offside on 89 minutes. A Geohaghon long throw was headed behind for a corner 2 minutes into stoppage time and, a minute later, a Clements cross flicked off Murray for a goal kick. Then Meikle had a shot cleared.

The final whistle was greeted by a chorus of boos and a number of fans chanting “Cox out”. Kidderminster played well. They were sharper and hungrier in the first half and defended in numbers in the second half.

Man of the match: Matt Green

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Marriott 5.5 Not at his best after some good displays. Could have done better with the second goal.
Thompson 5 Poor first half, substituted at half time. Lacked pace at full back.
Dempster 6 Defended ok, unlucky to hit the bar.
Geohaghon 6 OK. Was barracked by the Harriers fans throughout.
Beevers 5 Given the run-around Marvin Johnson and at fault for both goals. Poor.
Briscoe 5 Quiet first half, substituted at half time.
Murray 6 Quiet game.
Clements 5 Poor free kicks and corners, mostly.
Howell 7 Worked hard and did his best to create things going forward.
Meikle 5.5 Some trickery, but end product was disappointing.
Green 7 So unlucky not to score twice in the first half with great shots against the woodwork.
Sub Line Up:
Sutton (for Thompson, 46) 6 Defended solidly.
Daniel (for Briscoe, 46) 6 Did ok.
Rhead (for Beevers, 77) -
Subs not used: Stevenson, Wright.
Opposition Line Up:
Lewis; L. Vaughan, Dunkley, Gowling, Demetriou; Storer, Malbon (Shakes 88), Gittings; Vincent, Rowe (Blissett 71), Johnson (Clancy 71). Subs not used: Williams, N. Vaughan.
Declan Ford (Lincoln) 6

Season 12/13 Reports