{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup Round 2
Lincoln City  
3 - 3
 Mansfield Town
Power 45, 66, Taylor 47.
 Green 20, Briscoe 53, Rhead 90+3.
Attendance: 4127 (1176 from Mansfield)
Date: 1 December 2012


Martin Shaw at Sincil Bank

Mansfield Town and Lincoln City shared six goals in a fabulous FA Cup second round tie at Sincil Bank this afternoon. The game ebbed and flowed and both sides will feel they could have won it. Mansfield were ahead in the first half through the sharpness of Matt Green, who was unlucky not to bag a second goal shortly afterwards, or even a first half hat-trick. But Lincoln were undeservedly level on the stroke of half time through an excellent Alan Power free kick into the corner of the net. Jamie Taylor then put the home side in front two minutes inside the second half, only for Louis Briscoe to equalise with a wonder-strike, left footed into the top left corner. Lincoln were 3-2 ahead on 66 minutes when they broke from a Mansfield long throw level with the edge of the Lincoln box, and Jamie Taylor’s shot was parried by Redmond only for Alan Power to score from the rebound. Lincoln hit the bar on 83 minutes, but Mansfield sub Matt Rhead was the hero heading home from an excellent Briscoe cross 2 minutes and 13 seconds into stoppage time. Even after that, Louis Briscoe dramatically cleared off the line five minutes into stoppage and so the teams will have to do it all again a week on Tuesday at Field Mill. Wonderful entertainment for a bumper crowd.

Before the game, David Holdsworth was presented with the manager of the month award by Alan Alger of Blue Square. Mansfield manager Paul Cox made 8 changes from the side that lost at Matlock, but it was only two changes from the side that won at Macclesfield: Dempster and Geohaghon replacing Jones and Sutton.

The game was off to a quiet opening. In fact the first chance for either side did not come until the 15th minute. A long throw from Lincoln right back Dan Gray (born in Mansfield) fell to former Stag Adam Smith who miscued wide from 10 yards. Adam Smith was to go on to have a completely anonymous game.

John Thompson put in a reckless challenge on 18 minutes and was lucky to only pick up a yellow card. A long throw from Lee Beevers taken from the left hand side was cleared back to Beevers who crossed back in and Green glanced a header just wide.

But on 21 minutes, Green put Mansfield ahead. He showed great pace to get to the ball before keeper Farman and nicked the ball past the keeper and rolled it into the empty net before celebrating in front of the hordes of Mansfield fans.

On 27 minutes, it was nearly 2-0. Green nicked the ball past Farman again, this time wide on the left and from a tight angle he shot towards the empty net but unluckily missed the right post by 6 inches.

On 38 minutes, Beevers crossed from the left and Murray nearly got on the end of it. On 40 minutes, a rare chance for Lincoln as Jamie Taylor’s kick from a long way out was straight into Redmond’s midriff.

Lincoln were level out of the blue on 45 minutes. Geohaghon gave away a free kick just outside the box and was spoken to by the referee. The Stags had six men in the wall but Alan Power was still able to curl it around the wall and into the bottom right corner. Some blamed Redmond for the goal but it was right in the corner. It was gutting for the Stags to be pegged back at the break after being the better side in the first half.

Half time 1-1

Unbelievably Lincoln were 2-1 ahead two minutes into the second half. Thompson gave an unnecessary throw away down by his own corner flag. Gray’s long throw was not cleared and Jamie Taylor knocked in from close range.

Mansfield were level on 53 minutes. Clements chipped in a set piece from the left and it came out to Briscoe on the edge of the box who fired in a left footed wonder-strike into the top left corner. I doubt there’ll be many better goals in the FA Cup on the ITV highlights programme this evening.

Redmond had a stroke of luck a minute later when he booted a clearance straight at Jamie Taylor and got away with it.

Lincoln were ahead on 66 minutes and it came from a Mansfield throw-in. Geohaghon had a long throw level with the edge of the Lincoln penalty area. It was cleared back to Geohaghon whose cross was charged down, Lincoln broke straight to the other end through Taylor. Taylor’s shot was parried by Redmond but only into the path of Power who knocked in the rebound from 8 yards. It was poor defending from Mansfield.

A double chance for Lincoln on 71 minutes as first Redmond tipped Power’s 35 yard free kick wide and from the resulting corner, Boyce headed wide.

Speight replaced Hutchinson on 72 minutes. On 75 minutes, Clements sent in a free kick and Briscoe had a shot that was deflected wide. Lincoln were unlucky on 83 minutes. Gray’s long throw was cleared by Geohaghon but fired back against the bar by Miller.

Rhead replaced Meikle on 84 minutes. Lincoln had a 3 on 1 break on 85 minutes following a Stags corner as Mansfield had piled everybody forward but Briscoe got back to clear. A chance for Mansfield to equalise on 90 minutes following Clements’ free kick as Dempster half volleyed over the stand.

But Mansfield deservedly equalised in the third minute of stoppage time. A free kick from Clements was met by Rhead who headed goalwards. Farman made a good save to parry it away. Briscoe picked up the loose ball on the right and chipped a great cross back into the middle and Rhead rose to head home.

Redmond claimed a Power free kick shortly afterwards. Then in the fifth minute of stoppage time, Briscoe cleared off the line following another Gray long throw.

Jubilant scenes from the Stags at the final whistle as Mansfield deserved to take it to a replay. A terrific game and everyone will eagerly await the replay.

Man of the match: Matt Green

Report by: Martin Shaw at Sincil Bank

Line Up:
Redmond 6 Beaten three times and none were obviously his fault though arguably he could have done better with the free kick for the first goal.
Thompson 5 Poor game. Booked early on for a reckless challenge. Gave away unnecessary throw that led to the second Lincoln goal.
Dempster 6 Decent game back from suspension and compassionate leave.
Geohaghon 6 Did ok. Lincoln scored their third goal breaking from his long throw but he can’t really be blamed for that.
Beevers 6.5 Solid at left back.
Briscoe 7.5 Wonderful goal and superb cross for Rhead’s goal. Crucial clearance off the line in finalminute of stoppage time.
Murray 6 Did ok.
Clements 6.5 Good set piece that led to the third goal.
Meikle 6 Quiet.
Hutchinson 6 Did ok, though did not create too much.
Green 7.5 Looked so sharp in the first half and could have had a hat-trick. Quieter in the second half.
Sub Line Up:
Speight (for Hutchinson, 72) -
Rhead (for Meikle, 84) - Header from Clements’ free kick forced a good save; seconds later he had headed home from Briscoe’s cross.
Subs not used: Sutton, Jones, Howell, Wright, Stevenson.
Opposition Line Up:
Farman, Gray, Boyce, Miller, Gilbert, Mills, Fofana, Smith (Oliver 87 mins), Sheridan, Power, Taylor. Subs not used: Robson, Oliver, Nicolau, Bassele, Larkin, Morgan, Turner.
Mark Haywood

Season 12/13 Reports