{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup 1st round replay
Slough Town  
1 - 1
 Mansfield Town
AET. Mansfield win 4-1 on penalties. Bowden-Haase 65.
  Woozley OG 45+2. Dempster sent off 112.
Attendance: 1597 (approx 100 from Mansfield)
Date: 13 November 2012


Martin Shaw at Holloways Park, Beaconsfield SYCOB FC

Mansfield Town finally overcame Slough Town from the Southern League Central Division, three leagues below the Conference, on penalties after 210 minutes of stalemate in the FA Cup first round. Mansfield now face a tasty second round tie at local rivals Lincoln on 1 December, after Lincoln overcame Walsall. The Stags had looked comfortable in leading 1-0 midway through the second half, but a Slough equaliser with a header following a brilliant free kick against the underside bar, turned the tie, and after that either side could have won it in normal time or extra time. Slough could rightly be proud of their efforts but ultimately, Mansfield’s clinical penalty-taking along with a great save in the shoot-out from Shane Redmond, were enough to win through.

Mansfield were unchanged for the third game running, with top scorer Jake Speight on the bench, and Matt Green out with a virus. Youth keeper Ryan Hopkins came on to the bench.

The atmosphere was terrific with nearly 1600 fans shoe-horned into this tiny ground in Beaconsfield.

Mansfield had the first attempt on goal when Hutchinson shot well over from long range on 7 minutes. On 10 minutes Briscoe had a shot blocked, and then had a shot deflected into the keeper’s chest. Rhone sent a shot well wide for Slough on 14 minutes. On 22 minutes, Mansfield had a shout for a penalty as Wright went down under a challenge, but review of the DVD at half time showed that he had fouled his man first and hence it was not a penalty and ref D’Urso correctly waved away appeals. Briscoe had a deflected shot brilliantly saved by keeper Warrington a minute later, and then the keeper also saved the follow up header from Dempster with his legs. Howell fired just over the bar on 30 minutes. A great cross from Clements on 32 to Briscoe, but Briscoe’s cross was to the keeper. A fine take by Redmond from a free kick on 37 minutes. Then Meikle set up Clements who flicked the ball up and fired a volley wide on 40 minutes. Slough had the ball in the net on 44 minutes but the offside flag was already up, following a punt forward and a flick towards goal.

The Stags were ahead on 45+ 2 minutes. A corner from Clements on the right was miscued by a defender into the path of Beevers, who lofted the ball back into the box, and Geohaghon and defender Woozley rose for the ball. It came off the back of Woozley’s head and flew into the net.

Half time 0-1

Speight replaced Wright on 56 minutes. A good move involving Meikle and Hutchinson on 60 minutes ended with Speight firing well wide. Three minutes later, Meikle did well to get down the left, and his cross was just ahead of Speight.

Slough were level on 65 minutes. Swift fired in a superb left footed free kick against the underside of the bar from about 22 yards, to the right of centre. The ball bounced down and Bowden-Haase nodded home the loose ball.

Three minutes later, Slough could have been in front. Woozley slid in to meet a corner and somehow sent it wide of the left post. Moments later Redmond only just scrambled the ball away untidily. On 71 minutes, Redmond made a good claim from a cross. Then Hutchinson had a free kick deflected wide. Slough sub Logie headed over from a corner on 78 minutes.

Rhead replaced Hutchinson on 80 minutes. Redmond made a great punch ahead of Ed Smith on 84 minutes. Slough were looking the better side at this point.

On 86 minutes, Meikle curled a shot wide of the right post. Two minutes later, Meikle played a great pass out to Briscoe on the right. Briscoe cut the ball back to Speight whose shot was deflected high and wide.

Speight should have won it for Mansfield on 90 minutes when he was through on goal but fired over. A minute later, Briscoe fired over as well. Then on 90+3 minutes, Meikle had a chance in front of goal but couldn’t find a shot, the ball came back to Rhead on the penalty spot but he completely missed his kick. Seconds later, Howell brilliantly teed up Rhead whose shot was superbly saved by the legs of Warrington.

Full time normal time 1-1

In the first period of extra-time, Warrington saved a Rhead header from a corner under his own bar. Then Speight fired wide of the right post, having cut in from the left. Speight had another glorious chance when he was clean through on goal, but he could only fire straight at the onrushing keeper. Then a header from a Slough player sailed well wide.

Half time extra-time 1-1

Daniel replaced Meikle as play resumed.

Dempster was sent off 8 minutes from time. His tackle looked no more than a yellow card offence. As ref D’Urso was producing the red card, Dempster may have grabbed a Slough player in the lower regions, which was a bit naughty, but the red card still appeared harsh. Beevers went to centre half and Daniel to left back initially. But within two minutes, the formation switched and Beevers moved to right back, and Sutton to centre half.

A double chance for the Stags on 114 minutes as Speight’s header at the near post was cleared away, and then Howell sent an acrobatic volley over the bar from near the penalty spot. Three minutes later, Speight headed over from a corner. And a minute after that, Daniel did well to head away a dangerous cross.

The teams could not be separated and so it went to penalties, for the first time since November 2008 in the Setanta Shield against York.

Clements for Mansfield 1-0, cool penalty into the left of the goal
Swift for Slough, 1-1, also into the left of the goal
Briscoe for Mansfield 2-1, cool penalty, not the expected blaster
Burgess penalty brilliantly saved by Redmond diving away to his right, 2-1
Rhead for Mansfield 3-1, sends keeper the wrong way firing into the right of the goal
Sonner missed for Slough, firing over the bar, 3-1
Speight wins it for Mansfield confidently firing into the right corner of the net 4-1.

Man of the match: Exodus Geohaghon/Shane Redmond

Report by: Martin Shaw at Holloways Park, Beaconsfield SYCOB FC

Line Up:
Redmond 8 Very good handling throughout the game. Crucial save in the shoot-out, diving away to his right.
Sutton 6 Defended ok, battled well.
Dempster 6 Sent-off in extra-time. Defended ok before that.
Geohaghon 8 Very good defensive display. Commanding.
Beevers 6 Did ok.
Briscoe 5 Started well and had several shots in the first half. Was terrible in the second half and extra time, putting crosses out for goal-kicks repeatedly, though the bumpy pitch made it difficult.
Howell 7 Decent game, winning quite a lot of loose balls and good distribution.
Clements 6 Frustrating performance. Probably the bumpy pitch did not help his close control.
Meikle 6.5 One or two good runs and decent passes.
Hutchinson 6.5 Decent game.
Wright 6 Quiet game. Went down looking for a penalty, but had already fouled his man so ref Andy D’Urso correctly waved away appeals.
Sub Line Up:
Speight (for Wright, 57) 6.5 Caused Slough problems. Missed several gilt-edged chances.
Rhead (for Hutchinson, 80) 6 Did ok. Confident penalty.
Daniel (for Meikle, 106) 7 Livened up the Stags and caused Slough problems running at them.
Subs not used: Hopkins (youth keeper), Thompson, Murray, Stevenson.
Opposition Line Up:
Warrington, Fraser, Rhone (Sinclair), Brown, Bowden-Haase, Woozley, Burgess, D Deeney (Logie), Burnell (Sonner), Smith, Swift. Subs: A Deeney, Perkins, Murphy, Abbey.
Andy D’Urso 6.5 Premiership referee. Generally handled the game well, including not awarding penalty to Stags when Nick Wright went down. Sending off of Dempster appeared harsh from the video replay, which I showed Paul Cox after the game.

Season 12/13 Reports