{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
FA Cup 1st round
Mansfield Town  
0 - 0
 Slough Town
Attendance: 1686 (250 from Slough)
Date: 3 November 2012


Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town were held to a goalless draw by Slough Town from the Southern League Central Division, three leagues below the Conference, in the FA Cup sponsored by Budweiser first round at the One Call Stadium this afternoon. The Stags had the majority of the possession but were unable to break down a packed and determined Slough defence, and thus Slough earned a replay a week on Tuesday (to be confirmed) at Beaconsfield SYCOB’s ground next to Beaconsfield Services on the M40. As a result the game against Luton, a week on Thursday will be moved, probably to the Saturday (to be confirmed). Mansfield had the majority of chances with Howell missing two sitters within the space of ten seconds in the first half and Meikle heading against the bar in the second half, while Slough’s only decent chance of the game was a shot from Ed Smith which was very well tipped over the bar by Redmond in the first half. Mansfield were camped in Slough’s half for much of the second half without creating many clearcut chances and Slough keeper James Warrington didn’t have too many saves to make. Both teams therefore go into the hat for the second round draw at 2.30pm on Sunday.

Mansfield made 7 changes from the slide that lost miserably at Dartford 8 days ago. Two enforced changes were Redmond returning in goal for Mitchell who was not allowed to play in the cup by Notts County, and Hutchinson who came in for suspended top scorer Speight. The Stags reverted to a 4-4-2 formation with Beevers coming in at left back and Sutton coming at right back. Briscoe and Meikle returned on the wings, and Clements came in to the side in the middle in place of Roberts.

The Stags started brightly without creating chances. The Stags had appeals for a penalty on 16 minutes, for a handball, but the referee from Japan rightly waved them away. Green had a shot blocked on 18 minutes, then a minute later he drew the keeper on the right , and with the keeper right out of position, he crossed but Hutchinson couldn’t get a shot on target.

A triple chance for the Stags on 20 minutes, as Howell missed a sitter in front of goal which was blocked, then Green’s rebound was blocked, and Howell sent the rebound wide. On 22 minutes, Slough’s first chance as a free kick from Ed Smith was headed well wide. Clements sent a free kick from 22 yards into the wall on 24 minutes, the ball came back to him, he chipped it forward and Dempster sent an overhead kick well wide.

On 33 minutes, a great save from Redmond as he tipped over a shot from Ed Smith. On 38 minutes a cross from Beevers was headed away. A scramble in the Slough box on 44 minutes as the ball came off a Slough defender and goalkeeper Waddington was just able to clear.

A fairly quiet first half with Howell’s double chance being the closest the Stags came, and Slough growing in confidence, and Smith drawing a fine save from Redmond.

Half time 0-0

Hutchinson sent a free kick two yards over the bar on 47 minutes. A very good one-two between Briscoe and Hutchinson on 48 minutes, and Briscoe fired a left footed shot wide of the left post. Briscoe got the ball onto his left foot on 50 minutes and sent a low shot at the keeper for an easy save.

Great play by Clements on 55 minutes as he got to the byeline and chipped a cross to an unmarked Meikle who headed against the bar. Moments later a Stags corner was scrambled wide by Slough and shortly after that Mansfield had half-hearted claims for a penalty waved away. The Stags had built up a head of steam, the drum was going and it seemed only a matter of time before Mansfield would break the deadlock.

Wright replaced Hutchinson on 64 minutes. Clements tried a cheeky shot from distance on 67 minutes which the keeper had to hurry back and claim under his bar. Then Burgess was well over the bar from 30 yards for Slough.

A good passage of play for the Stags on 69 minutes. First Wright’s cross from the byeline just missed Meikle, then a cross-cum-shot from Clements flicked off a defender just over the bar, then from the resulting corner the keeper mis-punched a clearance and Green headed over the bar from close range.

On 74 minutes, a mix-up between Redmond and Dempster, and Redmond was just able to clear to avoid an embarrassment. Mansfield got the ball upfield to Green who pulled the ball back from the byeline just behind Wright. A minute later, Wright got to the byeline, but again it was cleared. On 76 minutes, a ball was headed forward to Green who was adjudged marginally offside as Green was tripped by the keeper in the box. It would have been a penalty and a sending off. On 79 minutes, Sutton blazed over the bar from 28 yards. Then on 81, Meikle was wide of the right post from 18 yards. Clements tried a shot from the edge of the box on 85 minutes which was low and hard but blocked. On 90+1 minutes, Briscoe’s shot was cleared when he took too long to get his shot away. A minute later, Wright had a shot deflected wide.

Frustration for the Stags, but celebration for Slough at the final whistle, who take Mansfield back to Beaconsfield for a replay.

Man of the match: Chris Clements

Report by: Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Redmond 7 Really excellent save from Ed Smith, tipping the shot over the bar in the first half. Had little else to do, though nearly involved in a calamitous moment in the second half.
Sutton 6 Defended ok, battled well. Lacked quality with one shot and balls into the box.
Dempster 6 Did ok.
Geohaghon 6 Throws were of mixed quality, only one or two was of the dangerous low trajectory. Solid.
Beevers 6 Solid at the back. Crosses were not good enough.
Briscoe 5 Didn’t contribute enough, and didn’t get to the byeline and put the ball in the box enough. One excellent one-two with Hutchinson but then shot wide.
Howell 5 Too quiet. Missed two glorious chances in quick succession in the first half which were to prove costly.
Clements 7 Instrumental in most of the good things Mansfield did. Took time to settle into the game, but controlled it in the second half. Provided a great cross for Meikle’s header against the bar.
Meikle 5.5 Was involved in quite a lot. Unlucky with his header against the bar, but had other chances to pull the trigger and chose not to shoot.
Hutchinson 6.5 Didn’t play badly but not involved in the game enough.
Green 5.5 Looked very low on confidence. Service to him wasn’t great though.
Sub Line Up:
Wright (for Hutchinson, 64) 7 Looked dangerous, getting to the byeline a couple of times and running at the defence.
Subs not used: Thompson, Todd, Daniel, Roberts, Stevenson, Rhead.
Opposition Line Up:
Warrington, Fraser, Rhone, Brown, Bowden-Haase, Woozley (c), Burgess, D Deeney, Burnell (Sonner), Smith, Swift (Logie). Subs not used: Murphy, A Deeney, Hawtree, Sinclair, Perkins.
Jumpei Lida (Japan) 8 FIFA listed referee on exchange from Japan, who was several classes above the normal standard of referee that we see in the Blue Square Bet Premier. One misunderstanding with his English linesman in the second half.

Season 12/13 Reports