{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
1 - 1
 Hereford United
Geohaghon 44.
 Jackson 21.
Attendance: 2248 (137 from Hereford)
Date: 29 September 2012


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Mansfield Town were held at home by Hereford for a second successive draw. Hereford took the lead following a bad mistake by Stags defender Ritchie Sutton, but the Stags drew level just before the break with a fine header from Exodus Geohaghon. Mansfield had much more of the possession but created precious few chances and didn’t do enough going forward to win the game. The Stags missed suspended striker Matt Green who will surely return for the game at Cambridge next week. There were some positives with fine displays in the back line from the returning John Thompson and George Pilkington, alongside the ever excellent Exodus Geohaghon.

Paul Cox made six changes from the side that drew at Telford and reverted to a 4-4-2 formation. Out went injured keeper Alan Marriott, Lee Beevers, Ryan Tafazolli, Chris Clements, Lee Stevenson, and Matt Rhead. A new-look defence saw a first start of the season for John Thompson at right back and a return for George Pilkington in the centre. Lindon Meikle and Anthony Howell came into the midfield while Nick Wright made his first start alongside Jake Speight up front. Although Stags brought in Notts County youngster Liam Mitchell as cover in goal, reserve keeper Shane Redmond had shaken off an elbow injury in time to make his home debut anyway. There was as usual no keeper on the bench, with Beevers again the designated reserve keeper.

Hereford included former Stags defender Luke Graham as their captain in central defence. There was an extraordinary colour clash as Redmond wore a red shirts and black shorts, almost exactly the same kit as Hereford. Extraordinary that the ref allowed it. Speaking of kits, the Stags were in amber shorts, having had the request to change their designated home shorts back from amber to blue, rejected by the Conference.

There was a lack of goalmouth action in the opening 20 minutes. The first chance for either side then came when Watkins fired straight at Redmond. But then on 21 minutes, a mistake by Sutton as he tried a square ball on the halfway line that was intercepted by Watkins who moved forward and squared for Marlon Jackson who scuffed a mis-hit shot under Redmond for the opening goal.

Daniel fired Mansfield’s first chance over on 24 minutes, and then he sent a free kick from 20 yards just past the left post on 27 minutes. Speight nearly took advantage of a bad backpass on 28 minutes but couldn’t control the ball.

The Stags were level on 44 minutes with a fine header from Exodus Geohaghon. A corner came out to Wright just outside the box. Wright chipped the ball back into the box where Geohaghon was clearly onside but unmarked and powered a header over the keeper. Hereford claimed for offside, but video evidence showed it wasn’t, though Speight was in an offside position but didn’t come close to the ball.

Half time 1-1

Nick Wright cut inside from the left on 49 minutes and shot straight at keeper Bittner. Then on 59 a Hereford free kick from the right sailed just past the left post, fortunately no-one getting a touch. Wright shot over the bar on 63 minutes. Hereford’s Clucas had a sight of goal on 64 minutes but was blocked by Thompson.

Rhead replaced Wright on 70 minutes to give the Stags better options from throw-ins and set pieces. And almost immediately Rhead headed over from one of those Geohaghon long throws.

Briscoe replaced Meikle on 75 minutes.

Another Geohaghon long throw created danger on 82 minutes and Daniel fired over. Then on 85, Daniel set up Sutton who side-footed wide from a decent position. A minute into stoppage time Briscoe fired wide from distance.

So a frustrating draw for the Stags. Added frustration came from Hereford’s time-wasting tactics, typified by keeper Bittner who was wasting time from the first half and the inept referee never took any action.

Man of the Match: Exodus Geohaghon

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Redmond 6 Almost nothing to do apart from pick the ball out of the net. Seemed stuck on his line from corners.
Thompson 8 Very good game at right back. Some good challenges and read the game well.
Geohaghon 8 Dominant again in defence, and created danger in attack as well. Good goal.
Pilkington 8 Very good return to the side. Faultless display.
Sutton 5.5 Costly error for the Hereford goal. Otherwise defended ok.
Meikle 5 Disappointing display after he has been so impressive this season. Numerous poor balls which went straight to the keeper.
Murray 6.5 Worked hard and kept going. Some good passes and did ok but unable to create much going forward.
Howell 6 Quiet game.
Daniel 6.5 Close with a free kick and a shot over the bar.
Wright 6 Did some good things including the pass for Geohaghon’s goal, and had two shots at goal. Didn’t quite look match sharp.
Speight 6 Didn’t have any chances, and didn’t really get into the game.
Sub Line Up:
Rhead (for Wright, 70) - Won several headers, and was a threat from throw-ins.
Briscoe (for Meikle, 75) - One soft shot from distance.
Subs not used: Beevers, Clements, Stevenson..
Opposition Line Up:
Bittner; Gallinagh, Stam, Graham, Carruthers; Pell, Clist, O’Keefe, Clucas; Jackson (Canham 87), Watkins. Subs not used: Heath, McQuilkin, Sammons, Smikle.
Darren Handley (Bolton) 5 Poor. Erratic use of yellow card, for example not booking Pell of Hereford despite three bad fouls, yet then booking several Stags players for less serious fouls.

Season 12/13 Reports