{ match reports }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Season 12/13 Stagsnet Match Report
Blue Square Bet Premier
Mansfield Town  
3 - 1
Briscoe 10, Rhead 45+2, Speight 90+1.
 McNerney 83.
Attendance: 2061 (83 from Woking)
Date: 1 September 2012


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

First appearances of the season for fit-again Adam Murray and the re-signed Exodus Geohaghon inspired Mansfield to a 3-1 against newly-promoted Woking at the One Call Stadium on Saturday. With nine of the Stags starting eleven having featured heavily last season, manager Paul Cox was returning to a side that served him well last season. The Stags were in front on 10 minutes with a great finish from Louis Briscoe. The Stags created numerous chances in the first half, many from Geohaghon long throws, and Geohaghon himself was unlucky when his powerful low shot was blocked on the line (or possibly just over the line - the match DVD shows it was very close), and a deserved second goal came in stoppage time at the end of the half as Rhead, clearly onside despite Woking protests, slid a composed finish into the net after good play from Daniel and Howell. Woking came back into the game in the second half as Mansfield looked a little nervous, and Gavin McCallum was unlucky when his shot his the underside of the bar and then Alan Marriott made a terrific one-handed save from a free-kick. Matt Green was extraordinarily unlucky not to make it 3-0 when he chipped the keeper but the ball bounced over the bar. Woking pulled a goal back on 83 minutes and the Stags were rocking, especially when Marriott made a good save with his legs. But a fine goal from substitute Jake Speight, superbly set up by another sub Nick Wright, made the game safe. Overall a 3-1 scoreline just about reflected the game in terms of chances created.

The Stags were ahead on 10 minutes. A Geohaghon long throw eventually fell for Briscoe on the right who sent a great shot into the left corner of the net.

On 21 minutes, a long throw from Geohaghon was tipped away by the keeper just past his own post. From the resulting corner from Murray from the right, the ball was eventually headed down by Howell, and Jones somehow scooped over from two yards.

On 27 minutes, Meikle fell over in defence and Pires was able to curl a shot towards goal but it was held high up by Marriott. Good play by Murray on 29 minutes when he chipped a ball forward for Green but it was just out of Green’s reach.

On 31 minutes, Geohaghon hurled in an absolute missile which cannoned off a defender and out for a corner. From the resulting corner, Geohaghon himself had a powerful low shot which was blocked on the line (or possibly just over the line - the match DVD shows it was very close). A free kick for Woking on 35 minutes but McNerney’s shot was an easy take for Marriott. A minute later, a long range shot from McCallum was straight at Marriott. A great tackle by Briscoe on 39 minutes and he tried to play a ball forward into the path of Green but it was ahead of the Stags striker. Another Geohaghon long throw on 42 minutes which caused mayhem and was just cleared.

The Stags’ deserved second goal came in stoppage time at the end of the half as Rhead, clearly onside despite Woking protests, slid a composed finish with the outside of his right foot into the net after Daniel had the won the ball, slipped it to Howell, who in turn slipped it forward into the path of Rhead.

Half time 2-0

A minute after the break, great play from Meikle as he cut inside from the left and his right foot shot was tipped over by Howe. From the resulting corner by Murray, a header from Jones was blocked in the 6 yard box.

On 62 minutes, a low shot from McCallum was straight at Marriott. Moments later, McCallum had another effort, this time a brilliant shot which cannoned off the underside of the bar with Marriott just getting the faintest of fingertips to it for what was a superb save. Around this time, a section of home fans were moaning at every opportunity, especially at Briscoe who had in my opinion had had a decent game.

On 63 minutes, Rhead headed a ball down for Green to tee up Murray who hit the roof of the stand from 20 yards.

Woking had a free kick on 68 minutes from around 25 yards. Parkinson struck it powerfully and it swerved wickedly before Marriott stuck out a solid left hand to keep it out when it looked a certain goal. A Woking player knocked the rebound into the side netting. The Stags defence was looking uncertain.

On 75 minutes, a double substitution for the Stags as Speight replaced Briscoe and Clements replaced Rhead.

On 77 minutes, Jones sent a header straight at the keeper from Murray’s free kick.

The Stags were desperately unlucky not to make it 3-0 on 80 minutes when Sutton’s ball forward found Green in a one on one with the keeper. Green seemed to have done everything right chipping the ball over the keeper but incredibly the ball bounced up and over the bar on the hard surface. If the same incident had happened a week earlier against Hyde, the ball would surely have bounced into the net with so much surface water around.

Moments later, more fine play from Green as he got into the box on the right, cut inside on to his left foot and fired low and hard but it was straight at the keeper. It was so nearly a repeat of his match winning goal against Hyde.

On 82 minutes, a Woking corner was cleared by the Stags but within a minute, Woking had pulled a goal back. Geohaghon’s misplaced clearance was lifted back into the box and McNerney had time to fire under Marriott.

On 87 minutes, Betsy got into the box on the right and Marriott did well to save with his legs.

Wright replaced Green on 89 minutes.

The Stags made the game safe on 90+1 minutes. Sub Nick Wright did well on the right and he squared a lovely ball to Speight on the left. Speight fired a great shot into the right corner of the net to make the game safe.

Man of the Match: Exodus Geohaghon

Report by: Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium

Line Up:
Marriott 8 No chance with the goal but made two crucial saves - a brilliant one-handed save from a free kick, and a save with his legs near the end.
Sutton 6 Defended ok.
Jones 6 Defended ok. Had a few chances to score.
Geohaghon 8.5 Imperious. Won everything at the back. Created danger from his long throws, and so unlucky when his shot was deemed to be cleared off the line.
Daniel 6.5 Decent game. Good challenge won in the build-up to the second goal.
Briscoe 7 Typical Briscoe goal - terrific finish. Put in a few great tackles. Good game.
Murray 8 Very good return to the side for the skipper, until he tired in the second half and was guilty of giving the ball away a couple of times. Probably should have come off in the second half.
Howell 6.5 His best game of the season. Good knocked down header for Jones who missed from two yards, and lovely ball to set up Rhead goal.
Meikle 6.5 Super effort early in the second half that was tipped over. Worked so hard as ever.
Rhead 6 Took his goal very calmly.
Green 6.5 So unlucky with chip over the keeper that bounced over the bar, and moments later a fine run and shot which the keeper saved.
Sub Line Up:
Speight (for Briscoe, 75) - Fine goal. Three goals from the bench this season mean he is unlucky not to get a start.
Clements (for Rhead, 75) - Looked very cultured, and did some nice things.
Wright (for Green, 89) - Only on for a few minutes, but did really well to set up Speight for his goal.
Subs not used: Thompson, Stevenson.
Opposition Line Up:
Howe; Newton, Johnson (Doyle 85), McNerney, Cester; McCallum, Sawyer, Parkinson, Ricketts (Williams 65), Betsy; Pires (Sinclair 79). Subs not used: Beasant, Frith.
Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria) 5 Started the game well, but made a series of errors in my opinion, though nothing to affect the course of the game.

Season 12/13 Reports